Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 4:35am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RailPictures.net
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   RailPictures.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RailPictures.net  (Read 2817 times)
Charlie_O
Historian
Re: RailPictures.net
  CSX_8786.jpg - 192688 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 4:53pm »

FYI...
Here are a few images recently rejected... all taken with a Canon Rebel G.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/CSX_8786.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Charlie_O
Historian
  NS_9812_66Z.jpg - 200957 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 4:55pm »

Another reject...and I'll bet you can't guess the reason.
(I'm posting these for comparison, not criticism, tho I can take a punch.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/NS_9812_66Z.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2005, 4:56pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Charlie_O
Historian
  Amtk_577_Paoli2.jpg - 183944 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 4:56pm »

And finally...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/Amtk_577_Paoli2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Monongah Division Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 5:01pm »

Charlie;

I modified this post because your second and subsequent posts went in just prior to mine, therefore my reply may look out of synch.

"Ranger101", if that who you are referring to, does make a good point, takes great photos and has a very good attitudae about RP. I have seen him progress since he first started posting on here, therefore his opinion counts, in my opinion. But, yes I am on the "insane side" I admit, without much protest.

The biggest thing that I noticed in your photos, that I enjoy by the way, are that they were ALL accepted into the database prior to the increase in their standards, as many of the forum posters on RP like to refer to and use as a "benchmark". Would you care to comment on that?
BTW, I happened to be at the EXACT location of one of your photos early today.....Grafton.

And, you said " So, as better sneakers do not make better runners, better photo equipment can only go as far as the person using it.  Great photographs (of trains or other subjects) depend on the artistic instinct and technical knowledge of the photographer as much as they do on the equipment being used", which I think is what I tried to convey earlier, though said it a bit different.

But, if I make ask, WHAT eaxactly IS your theory about your posts, your photos and your opinion on RP. I am a bit  slow, yes, but I don't know exactly HOW you feel, forgive me.

Thanks.

BM

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2005, 5:34pm by Monongah Division Fan » Logged
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 6:13pm »

on Aug 5th, 2005, 5:01pm, Monongah Division Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Charlie; The biggest thing that I noticed in your photos, that I enjoy by the way, are that they were ALL accepted into the database prior to the increase in their standards, as many of the forum posters on RP like to refer to and use as a "benchmark". Would you care to comment on that?

I'm not sure exactly when the gate closed but I can hear the slam.  That is, I'm not sure when the standards got so much more stringent (January 2005?), but yes, I musta slipped those pix thru the fence back when the standards were more lax.  

I've had a few acceptances since then...OK...three to be exact.
ONE.
TWO.
THREE.  

on Aug 5th, 2005, 5:01pm, Monongah Division Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
BTW, I happened to be at the EXACT location of one of your photos early today.....Grafton.

Grafton is the best.  I can't help but wish I'd been there back in the days when the B&O was the "Best and Only."

And, you said " So, as better sneakers do not make better runners, better photo equipment can only go as far as the person using it.  Great photographs (of trains or other subjects) depend on the artistic instinct and technical knowledge of the photographer as much as they do on the equipment being used", which I think is what I tried to convey earlier, though said it a bit different.

Yeh, I think we're on the same page there.

But, if I make ask, WHAT eaxactly IS your theory about your posts, your photos and your opinion on RP. I am a bit  slow, yes, but I don't know exactly HOW you feel, forgive me.

Well, I think there are certain rules and standards that they have about lighting that favor the early morning and late evening...or the winter months when the angle of the sun is low.  Also, speaking in broad strokes, they seem to favor the spectacular scenery and open expanse of the west versus the cramped industrial corridors of the east.  For example, around here, when I submit a shot where the shadows are long, they stretch across the track and shade the train, causing a rejection for "distracting shadows" or somesuch...but when the sun is overhead, the photo gets rejected for "poor lighting."  I've seriously considered taking a hacksaw and clippers with me railfanning.

I also think that their standards favor digital vs film... just because digital "sees" better in high-contrast situations.  If I ever get the money for a digital AND for something to print the images, I might try it.  But truth be told, I like film.

Finally, I'd say that my chief objection to the RP.net screening process is that their standards are applied unevenly.  But as has been pointed out, it's their site and they can do what they want.  And would I feel that way if I had 500 acceptances and magazine editors falling over themselves to buy my images?  Probably not.

-Charlie

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2005, 6:15pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Monongah Division Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 6:29pm »

Charlie;

Many thanks for taking the time to explain. I thought I could guess from what I have seen of your prior conversations here, so I was not disappointed.

Now, may I state here, that in my personal opinion, ALL of the pictures you posted as examples, whether accepted or rejected, are fine shots and document a point in history. Myself, I would rather see one of your shots that document something naturally than I would a thousand that have to be doctored,  cropped and saturated, merely so that they would become part of the "elite" collection.  

Yes, film still works for me too. My twenty year old Nikons are really upset that I have neglected them while I ventured into the "cuttting edge" of wasting my time with the digital nonsense.....

Thanks Charlie, I value your time and input.

Brad

Steven_E
Enthusiast

« Reply #26 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 6:55pm »

Monongah Division Fan
Hay Brad:   No offence intended and no offence taken!  I guess I just like stearing up a little dust now and then to see what kind of response I will get, and not mearly chit-chat.  As far as my referal to your photos as "snap shots", a pore choice of words.
My response wasn't directed merly to you, but rather a frustration to others view to good photography.  I enjoyed your response and look forward to talking with you again......................................................................................................Steve.

Steven_E
Enthusiast

« Reply #27 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 11:06am »

Hay Monongah Division Fan:
      Regarding good pictures (I said "great" origingly) from a cheep camera.
  When I deside to make the move into medium format black and white, I purchesed a camera from the local photo shop.  It was a double lens reflex of questionable oragins.  The writing on the camera was, to the best of my knolage from an Asian country.  My lack of knolage or femilierairity with the charictors of the writing leaves me only to guess.  I had 2 Identacle cameras to choose from.  One was priced at $25, the other at $30.  I chose to step up to the high end do to it's quality.  And, yes, I did get exelent results! I may have one rail photo from that batch of film, but to find it is another question. I have since steped up to a Bronica sqai with a 110mm lense.  Oh ya! the price tag was considerable more!  But the "cheep camera"  alowed me to get the feel of medium format B&W and was a good disision to get my feet wet...........................................................Steve.

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 1:13pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2005, 8:10pm, Steven_E wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hay Zwsplac: glad you responded. Here is a question for you:  Was it the step up from the Minolta point and shoot that made you a better photographer or was the knolage you have gained over the years that made you a better photographer?
We step up as our knolage of the art  increases and we learn we can inhance our images with better optics, film,camera.  If I hand some one a ten thousand doller, state of the art camera (digital or film), does that automaticly make him a better photographer? Hope to hear from you again............................................Steve.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I don't check this forum regularly Steve. Here are my thoughts on the questions you posed me.

My first camera was a vivatar point n' shoot. It was my first foray with a camera, so understandably, my shots weren't that great. When I was 10, I upraded to the Minolta. Like I said earlier, it took good pictures, but the fixed 28mm lens was a huge problem for me, and kept it from being a truly great camera.

When I was 11, I bought my first SLR, a Maxxum 5000I. I must admit that I thought when I bought it that I would automatically be a better photographer. That actually wasn't true, though my pictures as a whole were much better. I took some truly fantastic shots with that camera, though in hindsight, it was mostly luck that netted me those shots.

There were a couple of things I didn't particularly like about the Maxxum, so I bought a Canon EFM. never heard of it? Well, mine was the only of the model I have ever seen. I did not like the EFM at all. It did not take good photos, and the metering was off, so that even in bright sunlight in a well lit location, it would make the photo come out dark. Since I couldn't get the shots I wanted with it, it didn't last a year with me, and is actually my main basis for saying that equipment is important.

Finally, I bought a Canon ELAN2E. It was a very hyped camera when it came out, mainly for it's eye-controlled autofocus. (Follow's your eye while catching everyone else's. Ring a bell Trains magazine readers?) The camera fit me to a T from day one, and I have had it for 7 years. But did it make me a better photographer? The answer is yes...and no. I say yes because the ELAN2e and I literally see things the same way and the shots I want, I can get. If you'll note however, I deliberately worded my post saying that better equipment would help you take better pictures, not make you a better photographer. You may have misinterpreted it, or possibly not. But the final outcome of a photograper is his photograph, but before that, it is the knowledge and eye of the photographer. The camera and equimpent is just a medium to translate that to the final outcome of a photograph. Therefore, I think it is important to have good equipment that allows the photographers vision to be translated to the photograph as accurately as possible. Since photographers are judged (by themselves as well as others) on the outcome of their work, not all the effort that went into it beforehand, it makes it that much more important for that final photo to match what the photographer wants. Knowledge is gained over time, and this forum and RP.net have helped me grow as a photographer immensely. For the first time, in my last roll of film, I found my shots coming out as I planned them with my new found knowledge. I am truly a better photographer now than I was before I started looking at this forum.

To summarize, I think that better equipment leads to better pictures, but that is only a small part of being a photographer. Vision is the greatest part of being a photographer. You will never hear me say that having better equipment means you'll automatically be a better photographer, but to say it has no effect whatsoever is incorrect, IMO.

As for your last question, from reading my above posting, what would my answer be? No, of course! If he's a complete newbie at photography, with no vision, knowledge or discipline, he will not be good at all, since equpment plays only the smallest part of being a great photographer. If he's experienced however, and has been shooting on disposable cameras, his pictures will improve thanks to the better equipment. By the way, if you handed me a 10K dollar camera, I'd say no thanks, I'lll stick to my ELAN2E.

Thanks for reading if to all who made it this far. I'd love to hear your comments.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

Steven_E
Enthusiast
  ASA616SP-1-1.jpg - 62703 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 7:55pm »

zwsplac:  Just read your response, Yes, all of it.  I must say it was pure luck that $35  camera did so well for me and I agree with everything you said, hole-hartedly!
So with firther adu,  a good picture with a cheep camera.
ASA 616 (I believe) at the California State Rail Musium.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/ASA616SP-1-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Charlie_O
Historian
  NS_2522.jpg - 198138 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Aug 8th, 2005, 7:58pm »

Got a shock today... an acceptance!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/NS_2522.jpg
Click Image to Resize

zwsplac
Historian
  bnsfleborpnet.jpg - 150225 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:28pm »

Good job Charlie! I got popped for "Bad scan quality". For some reason, I get a really grainy sky in my photos.

Charlie, your pictures are always large and very crisp. Could you tell me what equipment you use, and how you get them from the camera to the screen? My photos are fine, but I've been pretty disappointed with the quality once I get them on the computer. The only time my above photo was scanned was when I scanned the negatives on to a CD. (I work at Kmart's 1 hour photo, so I get to develop all my film!) I included the photo for all to see, and you're all welcome to make suggestions on how to improve it's quality on the computer.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1052x729, 150225 bytes)

Click Here to View Image bnsfleborpnet.jpg - 150225 Bytes

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2005, 1:36pm by zwsplac » Logged

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

WKS_65.jpg - 160245 Bytes
« Reply #32 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 3:41pm »

Good Afternoon,
All I can truly say right now is, great thread gentlemen. This is by far one of the best and most debated topics to date. Nearly all of the points made so far make sense but some I do not agree with.

I have been photographing trains for 3-4 years now. In that interim I have owned many cameras including both 35MM and Digital. None of my cameras had a retail price of over $250. My first camera was pure junk but in some cases it got the job done. I purchased it at Wal*Mart for about $30. It was about the most basic Point and Shoot you could get but at the time it worked for me. Soon after I upgraded to a Samsung Maxima 80Ti, again it was a basic point and shoot but it had a 30-80MM zoom which worked fairly well. The only complaint I used to have is that it took larger photos then the lab would print. Alot of the times my photos would come back with the tops or sides cut off totally destroying the photograph.

Since the Samsung I have moved up to a somewhat decent Hewlett Packard Photosmart camera. I realize that it is not the best camera by far but I have been using it for about 2 years now and have been getting some very excellent results (at least in my perspective). All of the photos I have posted on Railfan.net have been taken with the small 2.1 MP camera. Hopefully within the coming months I plan to purchase a Canon EOS Rebel T2 which would be my first SLR type camera. Hopefully I can get better results with that.

Now to switch to another part of my post...

I will post a photograph for what his topic is truly about, RailPictures.Net. I have had many of my photos rejected and am along the lines of what Charlie stated. For everyone 1 photo I get accepted I get plenty of rejections. Although I do not always agree with the RailPictures.Net screener I keep trying to get another photo accepted. I also keep working on my photography skills so hopefully someday I will be able to get better credit then I currently do. I am going to attach a photo that I uploaded to RP.Net only to get rejected for "Bad Color, Lighting and Cropping." Now I can truly understand the bad lighting part because the general area around the drivers and rods is somewhat dark. One thing I can say to disagree with the fact is that alot of the steam photos in the database don't really show that area being well light. After all, on the small locomotives the locomotive itself sometimes surrounds the wheels not allowing much light to shine through. Who know's, maybe its just me. Also, in my perspective the photo is well cropped and displayed directly in the center of the lens. If anyone wants to take a stab at that one, be my guest!

One last thing I would like to talk about is the fact that everyone always states "It's there site so they can do what they want." Although that is true the fact that the site is open to the public and the fact that they allow the public to upload content onto their site does not possess them to "do what they want." Sure they pay the bill but it is the general railfan community that helps keep that site up and running by helping add to the flavor of the website. After all if it weren't for the photographers uploading their photos to their database then there wouldn't be many photos on the site and possibly a RP.Net wouldn't exist. I can see the point that they want the site to be for Authors and such to find photographs that they may want to use in a publicatoin but the fact is, how many times has a photo on RP.Net been used in any sort of publication? I for one have not heard of any photos being used in such an instance.  

I just think if you are known to shoot good photos then you are accepted and if your one of the people (like me) who try and try again then maybe to the screeners we just become annoying. We are all human beings and we all know how each other react. It's humor nature to become annoyed by problems that bother you and sometimes I believe that what I stated is true. I just think the RP.Net Team needs to step down the Guidelines a little bit because the last time I checked they are no O. Winston Link!

Thanks for sitting here and reading through my thoughts.

-Jeff

P.S.-Here is the photo I was talking about. Feel free to send a blow my way!

My Photos:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=971
http://jknadler54.rrpicturearchives.net (Currently in the process of uploading all of my digital content.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/WKS_65.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2005, 3:47pm by RN-16 » Logged

RobR
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 4:25pm »

Jeff,

Thank you for an interesting post.  I would very much like to see the picture you refered to, but your links are to collections of photographs, one on your web site and the other to all of the pictures you have at RP.Net.  

One point you made that I want to challenge.  You said that the subject of your photograph was centered, and then invited us to challenge that.  In general, centering the subject of a photograph is a bad idea.  With a little work, you can almost always find some way to add interest to a photograph by making sure the subject is not centered.  Give a train a little bit of room to move into the photograph, or let the lines of the train move back from the locomotive to lead the eye to some other point of interest.

Keep the Rule of Thirds in mind.  Divide your frame into thirds vertically and horizontally.  The dividing lines will intersect at four points.  Positioning your main subject at one of those four points instead of at the center of the photograph will usually improve the picture.

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
WM734fan
Former Member

« Reply #34 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 5:14pm »

Things that I notice about RailPictures.net is that they like modern diesels a lot. I'm a big steam fan, and half of my photos probobly get rejected for that reason. I posted a pic of a diesel and they took it. Half the battle is wondering what they are looking for, not the quality. Could this be true at all? Because this is how I look at them...

-Colin

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 1:37pm »

on Aug 14th, 2005, 3:41pm, Jeff_K. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I will post a photograph for what his topic is truly about, RailPictures.Net. I have had many of my photos rejected and am along the lines of what Charlie stated. For everyone 1 photo I get accepted I get plenty of rejections. Although I do not always agree with the RailPictures.Net screener I keep trying to get another photo accepted. I also keep working on my photography skills so hopefully someday I will be able to get better credit then I currently do. I am going to attach a photo that I uploaded to RP.Net only to get rejected for "Bad Color, Lighting and Cropping." Now I can truly understand the bad lighting part because the general area around the drivers and rods is somewhat dark. One thing I can say to disagree with the fact is that alot of the steam photos in the database don't really show that area being well light. After all, on the small locomotives the locomotive itself sometimes surrounds the wheels not allowing much light to shine through. Who know's, maybe its just me. Also, in my perspective the photo is well cropped and displayed directly in the center of the lens. If anyone wants to take a stab at that one, be my guest!

As far as the bad color, the entire photo is a little too red for my taste. I recently got a job at Kmart, and was trained on 1 hour photo, and one of the things we do is adjust the color on the photographs if they need it. I would have removed a red and maybe added a blue if this photo came through. But I do like it.

spikemic
Historian
  p-w_gp38-2_tripod_tour.jpg - 275069 Bytes
« Reply #36 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:05pm »

i cant seem to get anything on their anymore, i look all the time and feel alot of what i look at is not any better, i have hundreds of pics and only pulled a few out that i think are quality enough (im my own worse critic) and to submit a bunch at once and have them ALL rejected for the same reason at the same time one time and all rejected for a different same reason another like the screener is bored of looking at pics so they just keep hitting the same button.

and lately it seems like they are more interested in stuff overseas, some of those pics are terrible i think but i guess standards are lower for them. besides i really couldnt care about that stuff anyway, it holds no interest at all to me.......

heres a few that all got rejected for "poor cropping"  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (275069 bytes, 1024x652 pixels)

Click Here to View Image p-w_gp38-2_tripod_tour.jpg - 275069 Bytes

member Reading Company Technical & Historical Society MP&RE group - Reading Railroad Heritage Museum
metal craftsman/welder/fabricator/jack of all trades
spikemic
Historian
  P-W_tripod_tour_01.jpg - 237168 Bytes
« Reply #37 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:07pm »

another

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (237168 bytes, 1024x679 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P-W_tripod_tour_01.jpg - 237168 Bytes

member Reading Company Technical & Historical Society MP&RE group - Reading Railroad Heritage Museum
spikemic
Historian
  amtrak_gp15_02.jpg - 185410 Bytes
« Reply #38 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:08pm »

3rd

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (185410 bytes, 1024x679 pixels)

Click Here to View Image amtrak_gp15_02.jpg - 185410 Bytes

spikemic
Historian
  5308_run_by.jpg - 274653 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:18pm »

and this one for sun not perfect, maybe cause we're in the bottom of a gorge and its never sunny........... but theres more than enough even light....... whatever

is there some other site that is like that but better....  getting a constant "you suck" i have no interest in even viewing their site anymore......with all the foreign crap and common power I'm lucky if i look at more than one full size pic per 100 thumbnails  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/5308_run_by.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »