Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RailPictures.net
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   RailPictures.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RailPictures.net  (Read 2821 times)
Railfan Entertainments
Historian
Re: RailPictures.net

« Reply #120 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 8:53am »

Thanks for resonding guys. I thought the first one would have something to do with the pole. mst145, I think I'll go to rrpicturearchives.net.

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #121 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 4:11pm »

Another website I use is flickr.com. They'll let you upload any pictures you want. Here's my photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23455575@N02/

The_Rat
Historian
  _DSC9625.jpg - 275630 Bytes
« Reply #122 on: May 24th, 2008, 4:02pm »

Lately, the screenings have not been consistant. A photo should be judged by industry standards. Not personal preference.

There is a screener that does not like CSX units.

Same place, same lighting. One accepted, one rejected. Accept WLE, reject CSX.

This is not the only CSX train I uploaded. They were "all" shot down.  

This is what they accepted:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=236107

This is what they rejected:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/_DSC9625.jpg
Click Image to Resize

RobR
Historian

« Reply #123 on: May 24th, 2008, 4:48pm »

In my opinion, the composition of the Wheeling is a bit better; I like the angle of the locomotive as opposed to the straight-on view of the CSX train.  Also, I find the lighting of the CSX shot to be quite harsh, and the lighting on the WLE train is much more comfortable for me.

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
Joe Hinson
Enthusiast

« Reply #124 on: May 24th, 2008, 8:27pm »

on May 24th, 2008, 4:02pm, The_Rat wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There is a screener that does not like CSX units.

Same place, same lighting. One accepted, one rejected. Accept WLE, reject CSX.

It's kinda funny to think that someone thinks a screener is rejecting a shot solely based on what railroad it is. For starters, there are 19,859 shots listed to CSX. More than the 18,151 UP shots. RP makes their money by accepting the most shots they can. More shots equals more web pages equals more banners up top and more ad revenue. Meaning they actually have to have a reason to reject a shot.

Which is not to say they don't sometimes make mistakes. But your CSX shot is weighted heavily to the left side of the frame and has a shadow where your W&LE shot is near perfect in every way.

Joe H.

The_Rat
Historian

« Reply #125 on: May 24th, 2008, 11:09pm »

And some people do not know how to balance a pic like that.

Running the train through a curve till the headlight is looking directly into your lens. The light meter goes off the scale to the overexposed side, but the pic turns out perfect.

Set camera to "Manual" and get your shutter and aperture readings when the train is not there.

The reason the CSX pic was rejected was that it was "oversharpened". I swiped it once with the sharpening tool on Picasa.

I submitted a version of that pic "unsharpened" and the rejection reason(s) were:

- Blurry
- Bad Color: Not enough color depth or too much color saturation.
- Poor Image Quality

One screener wants it sharpened, the other doesn't......Or, it was the same screener, who couldn't use, "I don't like CSX" as a rejection reason.

One swipe of the sharpening tool takes care of all those problems.

So what was the real reason why it was rejected?

The Rat

Joe Hinson
Enthusiast

« Reply #126 on: May 25th, 2008, 12:07am »

I was being sarcastic about the "CSX" rejection. That's not why they rejected it. It gets frustrating, I know, when the same pic is rejected for seemingly oppoing reasons. My advice is not to let that web site get you down. You should have fun with this. If they accept every shot you submit, great! If not, take a look at the pic. What they're saying might be right.*

Joe  

*Might not be right, too. But they are about the CSX shot, IMO.

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member
Re: RailPictures.net Down?

« Reply #127 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 3:01pm »

Uhh... I've been trying all morning to get on this site (because I got a confirmation e-mail saying 4 of my photos were accepted), but when I try to go there via my favorites or a link; nothing. I can only assume they were hit by a storm and the server is down (same for Rail-Videos.net).  

I hope that's the only reason. It's a Sunday, I'm sure more people will be working on it tomorrow.
- Adam

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 3:11pm »

Dang. I hope they can get it up and running soon.

Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #129 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 3:44pm »

on Jun 1st, 2008, 3:01pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Uhh... I've been trying all morning to get on this site (because I got a confirmation e-mail saying 4 of my photos were accepted), but when I try to go there via my favorites or a link; nothing. I can only assume they were hit by a storm and the server is down (same for Rail-Videos.net).  

I hope that's the only reason. It's a Sunday, I'm sure more people will be working on it tomorrow.
- Adam

Here is what is on Rail-videos.net's Home Page:

Ongoing Server & DNS Issues

At approximately 6pm (Eastern Time) yesterday, one of the datacenters at our hosting provider suffered a large explosion, which took out 3 walls, and subsequent fire. Most importantly, noone was injured.

Fortunately, the RailPictures.Net servers reside in the other, unaffected datacenter, and they continue to operate normally. Unfortunately, our hosting provider's DNS (domain name) servers reside in the affected datacenter, so there are intermittent problems connecting to the RailPictures.Net website since browsers are unable to resolve the domain names to point to the correct server.

We expect this situation to be resolved by this evening. Thank you for your understanding!

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2008, 3:45pm by Espee9180 » Logged
Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #130 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 4:48pm »

Too many videos I guess.

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member
Re: RailPictures.net is back up.

« Reply #131 on: Jun 1st, 2008, 10:11pm »

Hey Guys.

RailPictures.net is up, while Rail-Videos.net, is still down.

Just thought I'd let everyone know.
- Adam

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #132 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:50am »

Thanks Adam. Even though I can't get any pictures aproved, I still like looking at other people's.

Railfan Entertainments
Historian
  100_2558_712x536.jpg - 92442 Bytes
« Reply #133 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:58am »

Ok, could someone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/100_2558_712x536.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Joe Hinson
Enthusiast

« Reply #134 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:08am »

on Jun 2nd, 2008, 8:58am, LDS Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ok, could someone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

It's side lit, meaning that while the nose has sun on it, the side of the train closest to us does not. RP generally will never accept a shot like this, unless it's more scenic or artistic. There also appears to be part of a telephone pole to the right of the frame which either needs to be cropped out or inluded in the shot.

Joe H.

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2008, 10:10am by Joe Hinson » Logged
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #135 on: Jun 2nd, 2008, 6:07pm »

Thanks. When I posted it, I saw a little lighting problem, but I didn't see the telephone pole.

Crescentlimited
Chaser
  DSC_2191_2.jpg - 210643 Bytes
« Reply #136 on: Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:38pm »

Whats wrong with this photo.  It is sharp, good angle, and in focous

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (210643 bytes, 1000x665 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSC_2191_2.jpg - 210643 Bytes

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #137 on: Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:48pm »

on Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:38pm, Crescentlimited wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Whats wrong with this photo.  It is sharp, good angle, and in focous

Hmm. Can't really find anything major wrong with it. Actually it's very good. What was the screener's objection?

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #138 on: Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:00pm »

Well, the only things that popped out at me was the grass, switch stand, and they might not have liked the crew standing there.

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #139 on: Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:04pm »

With the exception of the grass in the bottom left, I like it.  Maybe bad cropping because of the grass or bad angle because of being too low.  Maybe obstruction because of the switch stand, but it's not a problem to me.  It's not like its a trash can or something else non-RR related.  I definately don't think it is because of the crew.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:07pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »