Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 3:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RailPictures.net
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   RailPictures.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RailPictures.net  (Read 2805 times)
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: RailPictures.net

« Reply #100 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:32pm »

The first one tends not to be up to RP standards.  If it matters though, I like it.  Maybe add a little digital flash in your editor to brighten it up abit.  Remember one thing.  Don't not take shots just because they aren't up to RP's, or anyone else's standards.  Out of all of the shots you take, find the ones that do fit the other's standards and submit away.  I have a handful of shots that aren't in RP's league, but the story behind those shots means more to me than seeing them somewhere else.  One I have in this thread somewhere.  I'll look for it and add a link to it in a few.

Here's one.  This isn't the one I'm looking for, and this one finally did get accepted after I hid for a few months and tried again.   http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=Photo;action=display;num=1017093887;start=240

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:40pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:39pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:32pm, EMTRailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The first one tends not to be up to RP standards.  If it matters though, I like it.  Maybe add a little digital flash in your editor to brighten it up.  Remember one thing.  Don't take shots for RP's, or anyone else's standards but your own.  Out of the shots you take, find the ones that do fit the other's standards and submit away.  I have a handful of shots that aren't in RP's league, but the story behind those shots means more to me than seeing them somewhere else.  One I have in this thread somewhere.  I'll look for it and add a link to it in a few.

Thanks. I just took a look at your RP. net photos. There great. But you know what, I think it's my camera cause all my pictures I tried to post on RP .net turned out a little rough. So I think I just need a better camera. Who know's maybe it's just me  

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

AMTK_48.jpg - 181913 Bytes
« Reply #102 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:05pm »

I'm unable to find where I posted the pic I'm talking about, so here it is off of my hard drive.  

Here's the story:  My brother and I went to North East, PA to catch the first daylight run of Amtrak through this area.  Amtrak was an over nighter.  Anyway, we were set up where the shot is taken from, when this older guy pulled, got out of his car, and then stood on the platform at the old train station.  My first thought was that I didn't want him in my shot.  Then he slowly crossed the tracks, and came over to us.  there were no trains in sight, but I was still concerned.  When he got over to us, we all started talking with each other.  He said that "he had heard that the passenger train was coming through this morning, and he wanted to see it."  Comes to be that this gent is the last surviving NYC employee to work out of this station (1962).  The station is now the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society.  Originally, I was a few paces to the right for my shot, but I saw Merle waving when Amtrak was still a 1/2 mile away.  As a last minute descision, I took those few paces to the left, and here it is.  Funny how I didn't want him in the shot at first, and now HE is actually the subject, and not Amtrak.  Amtrak went by, and I helped him back across the tracks cuz I was still concerned.  He is 94.  We talked a little more, and he then went home.  He reminded me of my wife's grandfather that had just passed away a few months before a day short of his 98th birthday.  I always like listening to the stories of the way things used to be.

When I got home, I did submit it and it got rejected for composition I think.  RP was right.  This is one to place in my personal collection of favorites.  After that, I used my investigative skills and tracked Merle down via the wonderful www and sent him a print of the shot.  In return, he sent me some old newspaper clippings with him pictured, working at the station, and other articles about the trains in North East.  I guess you can say this is the only shot that I made some $$$ with too.  He also sent me $10 for the shot.  I replied back to him, telling him that I wasn'texpecting $$$, and that he reminded me of my wife's grandfather and that I enjoyed talking with him.  Next time I was at the LSRHS, I tossed his $10 and more that I contributed into the donation box.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/AMTK_48.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:10pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #103 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:09pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2007, 7:39pm, SRR#90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thanks. I just took a look at your RP. net photos. There great. But you know what, I think it's my camera cause all my pictures I tried to post on RP .net turned out a little rough. So I think I just need a better camera. Who know's maybe it's just me  

BTW, every single one of those shots that you looked at were taken with the Easyshare that I mentioned.  Christmas is coming though.  
Do you have anything on RP?  If so, please post a link to your shots.  I'd like to see yours too.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Aug 25th, 2007, 2:38pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:09pm, EMTRailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

BTW, every single one of those shots that you looked at were taken with the Easyshare that I mentioned.  Christmas is coming though.  
Do you have anything on RP?  If so, please post a link to your shots.  I'd like to see yours too.

Nope not yet I don't. I'll tell you when I'll get some pictures on RP .net

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Aug 25th, 2007, 2:43pm »

on Aug 23rd, 2007, 8:05pm, EMTRailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm unable to find where I posted the pic I'm talking about, so here it is off of my hard drive.  

Here's the story:  My brother and I went to North East, PA to catch the first daylight run of Amtrak through this area.  Amtrak was an over nighter.  Anyway, we were set up where the shot is taken from, when this older guy pulled, got out of his car, and then stood on the platform at the old train station.  My first thought was that I didn't want him in my shot.  Then he slowly crossed the tracks, and came over to us.  there were no trains in sight, but I was still concerned.  When he got over to us, we all started talking with each other.  He said that "he had heard that the passenger train was coming through this morning, and he wanted to see it."  Comes to be that this gent is the last surviving NYC employee to work out of this station (1962).  The station is now the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society.  Originally, I was a few paces to the right for my shot, but I saw Merle waving when Amtrak was still a 1/2 mile away.  As a last minute descision, I took those few paces to the left, and here it is.  Funny how I didn't want him in the shot at first, and now HE is actually the subject, and not Amtrak.  Amtrak went by, and I helped him back across the tracks cuz I was still concerned.  He is 94.  We talked a little more, and he then went home.  He reminded me of my wife's grandfather that had just passed away a few months before a day short of his 98th birthday.  I always like listening to the stories of the way things used to be.

When I got home, I did submit it and it got rejected for composition I think.  RP was right.  This is one to place in my personal collection of favorites.  After that, I used my investigative skills and tracked Merle down via the wonderful www and sent him a print of the shot.  In return, he sent me some old newspaper clippings with him pictured, working at the station, and other articles about the trains in North East.  I guess you can say this is the only shot that I made some $$$ with too.  He also sent me $10 for the shot.  I replied back to him, telling him that I wasn'texpecting $$$, and that he reminded me of my wife's grandfather and that I enjoyed talking with him.  Next time I was at the LSRHS, I tossed his $10 and more that I contributed into the donation box.

Cool story. What are the chances you got to talk to the last NYC employee of that station? That's great.

shayfan
Historian

« Reply #106 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 4:35pm »

Hey Guys, I started uploading shots to RP earlier this year and I now have 95 photo's in the database to this date. All the photo's are steam except maybe 4 photo's of diesels. I used to get alot of rejected photo's say if I upload 5 only 2 or 3 would be accepted, but now I am gettng better and only get rejections every once in awhile and most of those are corrected and are added to the database. Dont get discouraged because your photo wasnt accepted. Just take there advice and your photo's will start improving leading to more acception's.

Here is a link to my gallery.  
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18940

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2007, 4:41pm by shayfan » Logged

Walter Scriptunas II
Climax S/N #1551 restoration volunteer
Photographer
www.scriptunasimages.com
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #107 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 8:22pm »

Shay,

Check your PMs.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #108 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 4:21pm »

Rejected for poor horizontal angle. That's how Groff's Grove is suposed to be.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=481830&key=554547558

Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #109 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 4:33pm »

To me it looks like the whole picture is a bit crooked.
But I still think its a nice Black and White image of 89.

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #110 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 4:36pm »

Well if you line it up with the field to the right, it looks level. It's just the ballast and track makes it look crooked.  
Thanks for the compliment .

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #111 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 8:10pm »

Very nice shot!!!  The thing is that it looks like the train is leaning to the left, not the incline appearance.  Look at the verticals of the cab, and the trees and the silos in the back ground.  This one has a lot of potential after rotating to the right a bit, and possibly adding a little sharpness...the front number boards look a little fuzzy.  I did a quick search and didn't find any other shots in the DB by SRR90.  This should make an excellent first shot for you.  When you re-edit, ALWAYS start over from the original image.  If you just re-edit, and save on top a save, you start running into compression issues.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 9:33am »

All rejected for poor lighting.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=482130&key=439645935

This one was too dark.^^^^^

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=482134&key=668940584

This one was backlit.^^^^

Joe Hinson
Enthusiast

« Reply #113 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 10:00am »

on Feb 13th, 2008, 9:33am, MDDE_And_SRC_Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Looks like we all agree -- me, you and the screener. Too dark, backlit and various other reasons for the shots not to go on RP.

Joe H.

RobR
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 12:36pm »

on Feb 12th, 2008, 4:21pm, MDDE_And_SRC_Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Rejected for poor horizontal angle. That's how Groff's Grove is suposed to be.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreject.php?id=481830&key=554547558

Is that straight track really canted that much to the right?  I doubt it, and so did RP's screeners.  You've got to be absolutely perfect about details like that to get into RP.

RobR

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
RobR
Historian

« Reply #115 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 12:43pm »

on Feb 13th, 2008, 9:33am, MDDE_And_SRC_Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You have two choices here:  continue thinking the screeners are unfair, or learn something about what they like and how to improve your pictures.  Believe it or not, 99% of the time they know what they're talking about.

I like the idea of the second shot, with the milkweed, but I think RP is generally looking for fairly straightforward shots.  Sure, you'll find off-the-wall things there, but they have to be really well executed to kick the screeners in the butt hard enough to get them to accept the shot.

RobR

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2008, 12:46pm by RobR » Logged

Rules about what makes a good railroad photograph have caused the loss of millions of great railroad photographs!
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 1:00pm »

Your right. It just seems I can't take a good enough picture for them. But I won't give up .
Speaking of witch. Do you think they'll except any of these?

Joe Hinson
Enthusiast

« Reply #117 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 4:20pm »

on Feb 13th, 2008, 1:00pm, MDDE_And_SRC_Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Your right. It just seems I can't take a good enough picture for them. But I won't give up .
Speaking of witch. Do you think they'll except any of these?

Now I am certain you're pulling our leg. I needed a good laugh. Thanks.

Joe H.

Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #118 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 7:08pm »

Theres a big pole in the first shot and then some pole with a roof on in the second blocking the locomotives to a degree.  

But don't give up just takes much practice and pashents to get it right.

mst145

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #119 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 9:25pm »

I don't think they would be accepted.

The first one has too much foreground clutter.

The second one is cloudy sky with common power and a going away shot they usually don't accept.  

You can still post them at rrpicturearchives.net.  That's where I and alot of other people post their Railpictures.net rejects.

M.T.

My 2008 World Series Game 4 Photos!!
http://flickr.com/photos/23476852@N03/sets/72157608461359386/

My photos at Railpictures.net:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=10145

My Photos at rrpicturearchives.net:
http://mst145.rrpicturearchives.net/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »