Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 3:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Night Photos
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Railroad Photography
(Moderators: Two23, RobR)
   Night Photos
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Night Photos  (Read 1815 times)
CG_Tower
Historian
Night Photos
  8062drnight.jpg - 123864 Bytes
« on: Nov 27th, 2004, 9:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was looking through some older photos and found a couple of night shots. While not overly spectacular in nature, they were done using flash bulbs.

Does anyone else use this vintage technology? I find the results better then most of the modern lighting mechanisms.

Eric in CG

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (123864 bytes, 1100x740 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 8062drnight.jpg - 123864 Bytes

CG Tower: http://www.cg-tower.com

CG_Tower
Historian
Re: Night Photos
  8159southdr.jpg - 155548 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 9:06pm »

And one more...

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (155548 bytes, 1192x744 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 8159southdr.jpg - 155548 Bytes

CG Tower: http://www.cg-tower.com

jdstew
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

bw001-2.jpg - 67587 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 3:29pm »

Hey CG-

I agree with you in a limited sense (flash bulbs, that is)...but prefer the environmental light vs. the introduction of light. The challenge in terms of technique becomes the timing of the delayed exposure, etc.

Attached is an image I shot with the assistance of Jon Overfield swaying a flashlight beam across the rails-

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/bw001-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JE Stewart
jdstew
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

SprucePine006.jpg - 218520 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 3:30pm »

...and this is an image minus introduced light

JE Stewart

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/SprucePine006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JE Stewart
Two23
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2004, 11:01pm »

on Nov 27th, 2004, 9:05pm, CG_Tower wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was looking through some older photos and found a couple of night shots. While not overly spectacular in nature, they were done using flash bulbs.

Does anyone else use this vintage technology? I find the results better then most of the modern lighting mechanisms.

Eric in CG

There are some flashbulbs still out there, but I'm not sure they're still being made.  They aren't all that difficult to work with, but you must do some math.  All of O.W. Link's night shots were made with flash bulbs, of course.  

There is a difference in the kind of light a bulb produces than a modern strobe.  The bulbs stay lit for a longer time for one thing.

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
Railroadman
Historian
  NS_148_through_Iaeger.jpg - 77301 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 9:12am »

Here's one I shot of NS 148 going through Iaeger WV
BTW I did use a flash on this one.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/NS_148_through_Iaeger.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2004, 9:13am by Railroadman » Logged

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

GBGSTATION.jpg - 125966 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 1:14am »

Hello everyone,
Here is a night shot I did of the train station here in Greensburg, Pa.  I used my 35mm, a tripod, and a cable release for about 8 seconds.  One question I have is; could the starbursts on the lights be because I use a UV filter on my lens?
Thanks.
Tim

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/GBGSTATION.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Rangers Lead the Way!

prostock19
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 9:21am »

on Dec 5th, 2004, 1:14am, ranger101 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hello everyone,
Here is a night shot I did of the train station here in Greensburg, Pa.  I used my 35mm, a tripod, and a cable release for about 8 seconds.  One question I have is; could the starbursts on the lights be because I use a UV filter on my lens?
Thanks.
Tim

I believe the UV filter probally caused it.  I use a UV filter almost 100% of the time, and occasionally a polorizer.  Here is a snippet of an email I was discussing with a guy who got 5 photos in a recent railroad calendar:

"As for UV filters - yep, I keep one on my lenses pretty much at all times.  Only time I ever take it off is around dusk when ghosting on the headlights is more visible.  I used to use Tiffens for all of my filters, but now I use a Hoya S-HMC filter for the UV, which is a super multi coated filter to reduce glare between it and the front element of the lens.  Since I switched to that one on my 70-200 f/4L, I haven't seen any ghosting of headlights yet...I'm sure it'll happen....  All my other filters are Tiffens or Tamrons."

Keep up the good work

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2004, 9:26am by prostock19 » Logged
jdstew
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 3:03pm »

Concerning the starburst effect...

Some of this relates directly with the length of the exposure. Over time, the camera adds information to the image plane...so the light essentially replaces itself, hence the starburst effect. One trick for noticing if the image is over exposed will be to look at the lights.....if its a blob, then the image was underexposed...if it has that starburst...then its fairly close...but this really depends on the other objects in the scene and their respective intensities. Bottom Line: Think composition....this is where it becomes critical. Night Photography is VERY VERY challenging...only recently have I been able to boast an average of 85% keepers, 15% deleters.....practice, study, and constant information analysis are the tricks.....

Another item would be purchasing a 6x or 4x Cross Filter...it can creat neat effects, but use it wisely.

Finally, the more "glass" added to the lens will skew the appropriate f-stop and exposure settings. So, keep the filters to a minimum at all times-

Hope this helps-

JE Stewart

JE Stewart
Expoacher
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 5:19pm »

Some nice older CSX shots there. While on the subject of night photoging, how about a discussion of using an external light to "paint" a sitting locomotive or RR scene. Also, I'm thorougly confused about setting night exposures. For example, if using Velvia 50 or Provia 100, where do I start? What are appropriate exps. for low light, no light when "painting", etc.?
  Thx.

prostock19
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:55am »

Here is one that I took last night with almost no setup time.  I forgot to take the filter off the lens.  I will try a simular photo tonite.

Two23
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Dec 26th, 2004, 1:15pm »

on Dec 9th, 2004, 5:19pm, Expoacher wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 Some nice older CSX shots there. While on the subject of night photoging, how about a discussion of using an external light to "paint" a sitting locomotive or RR scene. Also, I'm thorougly confused about setting night exposures. For example, if using Velvia 50 or Provia 100, where do I start? What are appropriate exps. for low light, no light when "painting", etc.?
  Thx.

First, I'll comment that I don't think the starburst effect on some of the above photos is caused by using a UV filter.  While it's true that using a non-coated filter can cause flare, it typically looks more like ghosting.  What you have here is the effect of light going around the multi-blades of the  diaphragm in the lens.  Unless the lens is wide open (no parts of the diaphragm show,) there is the potential for this to happen.  I think it's strongest at f11, if I recall.  The effect is not unpleasant.

Night shots.  There are two ways to go.  One is to use an incident light meter, which is always accurate.  This only works if you can stand in the spot you are taking the shot of, and obviously doesn't work for rapidly changing light such as a headlight.  For that, I use my Nikon plus a little trick.  Since most camera meters want to make things come out an "average" tone, they will try to lighten extremely dark scenes such as night shots.  To counter this, I dial in -2 stops in the exposure compensation dial.  With a manual camera, you simply take away two shutter speeds.  For example, meter says f1.8 @  1/15, I shoot f1.8 @ 1/60.  Sometimes it's too dark to get a meter reading at all.  When that happens, you have to bracket.  I start with my widest f-stop and 1 minute exposure.  Then, I go to 2 minute exposure.  Use the bulb setting on your camera if it doesn't have two minute capability.  Or, put it on multi-exposure and hit the 30-second button 4 times!

Using Fuji films you will have a problem with longer exposures like this.  The colors will shift around and look funny.  THis is called "reciprocity failure."  You can either switch to Kodak films (such as E100G) or use the compensation and filter recommended on the Fuji website for those films and the shutter setting.

Painting with light is fun.  You generally need a dark night with no moon and a VERY powerful light.  The most common way to do this is to have a big camera flash and simply hold it in your hand and pop it several times at the things you want to light up while the camera is set on 1-minute exposure or whatever.  There are locking cable releases to keep shutters open as long as you want.

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
prostock19
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26th, 2004, 1:44pm »

Thanx for the tips Kent.

Matt

ranger101
Historian
View Profile  

gbgdark.jpg - 105362 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:31pm »

Hello all,
     Kent thanks for the information.  Heres a shot of an west bound train going through the station the same night as the photo I posted above.
Tim

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/gbgdark.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Rangers Lead the Way!

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 1:01am »

I like shooting at night, though my results are hit and miss. I'll have to try some of the tips presented here, and once I get some of my results scanned, I'll show off my better ones.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

J. M. Fusco
Historian
  cool40_2.jpg - 22768 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 3:54pm »

Here's one I like....NH&I 2-8-0, #40, built by BLW in 1925. Here we see her simmering with a grim look on her face at New Hope yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/cool40_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2005, 3:55pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
jdstew
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

CSX_MOW_005.jpg - 239781 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Jan 5th, 2005, 12:25am »

Went out tonight lookin' for trains...instead I found the MoW-

This scene is in Downtown Cuyahoga Falls, OH on the CSX New Castle Sub-

JE Stewart

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/CSX_MOW_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JE Stewart
big3fan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

40tenderbuck.jpg - 88464 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 8:18am »

New hope and Ivyland # 40 Pulls out of Buckingham tender first.

There are more in the NH&I gallery, some with the starburst you guys are talking about. I don't want to put them here because I did them spur of the moment with out my good tripod or cable release so they have a bit of ghosting. I'm going to try again soon. This one looks ok though.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/40tenderbuck.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2005, 8:22am by big3fan » Logged

www.lightwriterproductions.com

spikemic
Historian
  0890544-R1-010-3A.jpg - 92849 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Oct 5th, 2005, 5:10pm »

mmm

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/0890544-R1-010-3A.jpg
Click Image to Resize

member Reading Company Technical & Historical Society MP&RE group - Reading Railroad Heritage Museum
metal craftsman/welder/fabricator/jack of all trades
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

USA_4039_0-6-0_night_P.jpg - 137298 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28th, 2006, 11:12am »

I noticed the Whippany Railway Museum had the headlight lit on US Army #4039 one night.  I stopped and tried a few shots and this is what I got. I think the headlight being on really helped the photos. Enjoy.  
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Photo/USA_4039_0-6-0_night_P.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »