Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 24th, 2017, 10:19am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Accommodations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   Accommodations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Accommodations  (Read 83 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Accommodations

« on: Nov 29th, 2015, 4:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

One of the things that (I think) most of us recall about train rips are the accommodations. Not just on the trains, but also the stations. My own experiences are more limited than I'd really prefer, but some thoughts;

As a Texas boy, most of my train rides have been in the Lone Star State, and starting in the late 1940s (as far as memory goes) I have boarded (or arrived) at such places as Dallas Union Station, both Fort Worth stations (well, counting the new Intermodal - all three), the Old Union Station and EsPee Stations in Houston, union Terminal in Galveston, EsPee, KATY and MoPac Stations in San Antone, MoPac (and now Amtrak) station in Austin, KATY Station in Waco, Union (and now Amtrak) station in El Paso. And a few others. Great variety among them, but they all were part of the train trip. and offered experiences to be savored in memory. In the old days the variety of services included in the stations were wonderful - lunch counters, news stands, Red Caps to help with baggage.

Then the trains - the Texas trains I rode in pre-Amtrak days were all long distance trains (except ONE trip on the Sunbeam in 1950, but that is another tale) and low-density chair cars were the norm. Diners were parts of the consist, but our trips usually didn't include dinner in the diner, but some - and wonderful memories those were. Recall those chair cars as spacious and comfortable. Except one Dallas to Houston trip on either the Twin Star Rocket or Sam Houston Zephyr when the air conditioning failed on a summer day. Not wonderful, no.

I'll speak to Pullman or Amtrak First Class trips (all as an adult) at some other time.

Be interested in hearing what others have to say about train rides in their history.

HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: Accommodations

« Reply #1 on: Nov 30th, 2015, 11:36am »

Clyde - Lodge Members -  

WOW! A "...so many memories..." place to be! Earliest journeys recall memories of B & O, SOUTHERN, BURLINGTON, and some P R R.  
Later experience with SEABOARD and A C L, also ESPEE and W P...

When riding Coach, the 44 to 56 seat Cars were near luxurious. Design such that there spacious Comfort/ Rest/ Dressing Rooms at each  
end of the Cars. Surely built for "long haul" riders, and as expected on "marquee" trains. Equipment note? With these Coaches, the Pullman-  
Standard build seemed to have perceptibly somewhat smoother rides, compared with BUDD Cars.

Among other memories. Yes, familiar with St. Louis, Kansas City, Phila. (Broad Street), the glorious NY C - Buffalo, and all Chicago Stations  
in the era... Not to forget L A Union...

Perhaps to add some more here as we go along...

...............................Vern.............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30th, 2015, 7:21pm »

on Nov 30th, 2015, 11:36am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde - Lodge Members -  

WOW! A "...so many memories..." place to be! Earliest journeys recall memories of B & O, SOUTHERN, BURLINGTON, and some P R R.  

When riding Coach, the 44 to 56 seat Cars were near luxurious. Design such that there spacious Comfort/ Rest/ Dressing Rooms at each  
end of the Cars. Surely built for "long haul" riders, and as expected on "marquee" trains. Equipment note? With these Coaches, the Pullman-  
Standard build seemed to have perceptibly somewhat smoother rides, compared with BUDD Cars.

Among other memories. Yes, familiar with St. Louis, Kansas City, Phila. (Broad Street), the glorious NY C - Buffalo, and all Chicago Stations  

Oh yeah, so many memories. Recall the signs on/near station saying "Next time, take the train"?

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 4th, 2015, 8:14pm »

on Nov 30th, 2015, 11:36am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde - Lodge Members -  

Don't recall P-S cars as being noticeably more comfortable riding than Budd cars, but maybe so. There were usually weeks or even months between rides and that probably makes it difficult to compare. And most of the rides were in Budd cars except on the Twin Star Rocket, and Texas Special, which were mostly P-S (I now recognize sixty years or so after the fact. Memory was nice smooth rides in clean, comfortable seats and spacious cars with (except one memorable trip) effective climate controls.

I will say that the old (1943) Budd 36-seat diner I encountered on the Texas Chief between Dallas and Chicago in 1966 seemed smoother than the twin-unit on the Pennsy between Chicago and Harrisburg (somewhat decrepit automat car between Harrisburg and Baltimore). The twin-unit cars were probably from the 1949 Budd order by Pennsy. In roomettes in Budd 10-6s on both trains, the Santa Fe car giving the impression of better maintenance and cleanliness. The Dallas-Baltimore trip was in the spring of 1966,  pre-AMTRAK.

I would say that the P-S all-bedroom sleeper we rode from El Paso to Houston on Sunset (ex-Super Chief) MAY have been a bit smoother than the 10-6 Santa Fe 10-6 pool car  we rode from Temple to Chicago a few years earlier. Both in AMTRAK service at that point.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 5th, 2015, 8:28am »

Clyde - Lodge Members -

Thanks! As your correspondent earlier noted, any differences in rides of P-S and BUDD Cars compared were perceptibly subtle.  
In my own experiences, PRR, B&O and SEABOARD operated equipment from both builders. For instance, opportunity to compare  
both types on SAL...

In operation, the SAL ran over a route noted by many curves, and notable changes in elevations on Petersburg VA - Wake Forest  
NC segment. Also, between Savannah GA and Jacksonville, the line noted by long, straight and flat running. Southbound one early  
morning long ago, in a ride on its Silver Meteor, it ran at 105 mph, time by mileposts.

Incidental to all this, MOPAC and UPRR were good ACF customers. PRR had large numbers of Coaches (and likely other types)  
built by the line at Altoona, PA. And, also, CPR and CN had CC&F rolling stock as parts of the fleets. Paradise Lost! all over again...

.................................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 5th, 2015, 10:57am »

on Dec 5th, 2015, 8:28am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde - Lodge Members -

Thanks! As your correspondent earlier noted, any differences in rides of P-S and BUDD Cars compared were perceptibly subtle.  
In my own experiences, PRR, B&O and SEABOARD operated equipment from both builders. For instance, opportunity to compare  
both types on SAL...

In operation, the SAL ran over a route noted by many curves, and notable changes in elevations on Petersburg VA - Wake Forest  
NC segment. Also, between Savannah GA and Jacksonville, the line noted by long, straight and flat running. Southbound one early  
morning long ago, in a ride on its Silver Meteor, it ran at 105 mph, time by mileposts.

Incidental to all this, MOPAC and UPRR were good ACF customers. PRR had large numbers of Coaches (and likely other types)  
built by the line at Altoona, PA. And, also, CPR and CN had CC&F rolling stock as parts of the fleets. Paradise Lost! all over again...

.................................Vern......................

Paradise Lost! indeed. The 11-BR ex-Super Chief car we rode east from El Paso in the early 1980s was Indian Lake, P-S built in 1947 as 24-duplex  roomette and rebuilt as 11-double bedroom car for Super Chief in 1964. It was a good ride.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »