Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 4:10am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

UP cars to AMTK
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   UP cars to AMTK
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: UP cars to AMTK  (Read 255 times)
CITY OF DENVER No.112
Former Member
UP cars to AMTK

« on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 11:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Greetings (first time poster here)......

Have been curious of the UP cars conveyed over to Amtrak in 1971.

(1)What renovations (if any) did Amtrak do on this equipment?

(2)When did the last ex-UP cars run in revenue service?

(3)What ex-UP (Amtrak) cars survive today?

Thank you......until next time......

CoD

jmlaboda
Historian
Re: UP cars to AMTK

« Reply #1 on: Nov 24th, 2013, 4:59am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Your reading should start and end here:

http://utahrails.net/pass/amtrak-ex-up.php

Don Strack, famed author of numerous articles and books, maintains the best resource on the web about UP, including the most comprehensive and up-to-date roster of UP passenger cars that you can find.  If it isn't listed here it is because it has only happened recently and he is trying to catch up.

No need for folks to reply with individual reports, unless an error is found.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
CITY OF DENVER No.112
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24th, 2013, 9:07am »

on Nov 24th, 2013, 4:59am, jmlaboda wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Your reading should start and end here:

http://utahrails.net/pass/amtrak-ex-up.php

Don Strack, famed author of numerous articles and books, maintains the best resource on the web about UP, including the most comprehensive and up-to-date roster of UP passenger cars that you can find.  If it isn't listed here it is because it has only happened recently and he is trying to catch up.

No need for folks to reply with individual reports, unless an error is found.

jmlaboda:

This is exactly what I was looking for, but had been unable to locate........this looks to be very interesting reading........thanks!

......'till next time.....

CoD

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2013, 8:47am by PENNA » Logged
Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30th, 2013, 4:48am »

I have had a quick look at my reference, a guide compiled by David Randall in January 1972 listing all of the cars acquired by Amtrack.

The cars obtained from UP appear to all sleeping cars and coaches. I can extract a detailed list but it would take about an hour to do.

CITY OF DENVER No.112
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2013, 8:45am »

on Nov 30th, 2013, 4:48am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have had a quick look at my reference, a guide compiled by David Randall in January 1972 listing all of the cars acquired by Amtrack.

The cars obtained from UP appear to all sleeping cars and coaches. I can extract a detailed list but it would take about an hour to do.

Les......

Appreciate this info; however, it is not necessary for you to go through all that trouble.

Thank you!

.....'till next time........

CoD

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2013, 8:48am by PENNA » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30th, 2013, 12:27pm »

Hi John,

It appears that many of these former "Uncle Pete" coach-cars that went to Amtrak ultimately were sold off to Ringling Bros./Barnum & Bailey circus for their use after AMTK was done with them.

This portion of Don Strack's fine website (Thanks Jerry!) gives detailed information on the disposition of UP's steel fleet as well as overall dimensions.

http://utahrails.net/pass/pass-numbered-6.php

I found that very informative, myself.

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

Jack_Wilson
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jun 21st, 2014, 4:57pm »

A new book, "Amtrak By The Numbers", came out in 2011, authored by David Warner & Elbert Simon gives the most comprehensive coverage of the Amtrak fleet right from Day One. Available through White River Productions.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22nd, 2014, 8:21pm »

on Jun 21st, 2014, 4:57pm, Jack_Wilson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A new book, "Amtrak By The Numbers", came out in 2011, authored by David Warner & Elbert Simon gives the most comprehensive coverage of the Amtrak fleet right from Day One. Available through White River Productions.

May need to get a copy of that. I have the old Wayner book on AMTRAK cars, but it is seriously out of date. Good information, but much has happened since it came out.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jul 22nd, 2014, 5:27pm »

on Nov 30th, 2013, 4:48am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Found my copy of the 1973 AMTRAK CAR SPOTTER from Wayner (Revised 2nd Edition), Les.

Looks like most of the ex-UP cars were coaches and sleepers, but also some baggage, baggage-dorms, diners, and counter-dining-lounges.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »