Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 8:03am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The 1926 Cardinal's Train
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   The 1926 Cardinal's Train
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The 1926 Cardinal's Train  (Read 562 times)
photoman475
Historian
Re: The 1926 Cardinal's Train

« Reply #20 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 9:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

H.F.M. and All:

Yes, the Cardinal's train could be done today, albeit with a lot of advance work, as previously mentioned.

Considering it would just about have to be all private cars, I can't see all the owners going along for a repaint to one or two colors, and then to paint it back again to the original paint scheme.  The cost would be astronomical for the number of cars required.

You could make a better case for the motive power being repainted for a special move like this, before the passenger cars.  I suggest the Maersk ATSF repaint as an example.  The NS F units come to mind as possible power, if NS were so inclined.  But that is merely conjecture on my part!

Have a good one, gents.

Alan

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 10:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Alan:

A very good point!

Yes, I can easily see this as being a far more economical solution for such a special train; certainly, far less expensive than having to repaint a dozen or so historic private cars (that is.....IF the owners would consent to it!)

Whatever motive power this consist would entail (obviously, both electric and diesel power) could be repainted and/or otherwise decorated appropriately for such a special move.

Even if consist were all AMTRAK, a restored business car (suitably decked out) bringing up the rear would indeed add a distinct touch of class to the train; also, car could be equipped with a portable altar, to allow Mass, en route.

Just my thoughts.....

"H.F.M."

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012, 10:36pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 11:03pm »

All:

On a related note, here is an interesting page on rail transport in Vatican City; there are also photos, both historical and modern.......

"H.F.M."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Vatican_City

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 11:19pm »

Here are several 1926 images of the International Eucharistic Congress at Chicago (courtesy of St. James at Sag Ridge)

Though no rail views are included here, these pictures will at least give one an idea as to why this grand event called for the largest movement of people by rail in the country at that time.

Recall, the CRT (Chicago Rapid Transit) and the CNS&M played vital roles in transporting the masses of the faithful.......

http://historicstjames.org/churhhistory/archdchicago/ch_his_eucon.htm

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2012, 11:28pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Dec 17th, 2012, 11:38pm »

on Dec 17th, 2012, 10:35pm, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Alan:

A very good point!

Yes, I can easily see this as being a far more economical solution for such a special train; certainly, far less expensive than having to repaint a dozen or so historic private cars (that is.....IF the owners would consent to it!)

Whatever motive power this consist would entail (obviously, both electric and diesel power) could be repainted and/or otherwise decorated appropriately for such a special move.

Even if consist were all AMTRAK, a restored business car (suitably decked out) bringing up the rear would indeed add a distinct touch of class to the train; also, car could be equipped with a portable altar, to allow Mass, en route.

Just my thoughts.....

"H.F.M."

No problem getting a business car to bring up the rear - I think Amtrak has at least one still on the roster, and several of the Class ones still run some (for example UP - saw LONE STAR just recently, when 844 came through East Tejas) and i expect there would be no difficulty borrowing or leasing one. Not to mention the number in PV service - Beebe & Clegg's VIRGINIA CITY is in sevice and Amtrak certified - that would be suitable for a prince of the church given its Venetian Baroque interior decor.

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #25 on: Dec 18th, 2012, 12:33am »

Alan:

Thanks for reminding me of the "VIRGINIA CITY"; agreed......the opulent interior would indeed be suitable to transport Princes of the Church to whatever destination they are headed for.

In fact, I'm now reminded of some of the more ornate reception parlors and offices seen in 1963's "THE CARDINAL".

See:

http://www.vcrail.com/virginia_city.htm

http://www.allaroundnevada.com/the-virginia-city-coach-private-railcar/

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #26 on: Dec 18th, 2012, 12:13pm »

The handsome "CHAPEL HILL", a historic car with a rich pedigree.

Here is another stately old car that would certainly have been fitting for bringing up the rear of a "Cardinal's Train" (Chapel Hill Corporation)

http://www.chapelhillrail.com/history.html

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2012, 12:14pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Dec 18th, 2012, 6:39pm »

Great stuff, Gentlemen! The "Virginia City Car" is absolutely gorgeous!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 18th, 2012, 6:56pm »

on Dec 18th, 2012, 6:39pm, charlie6017 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Charlie

Charlie:

Well, I must agree with you again on this one.....(!!)

Now....all I gotta do is to hit the lottery BIG time......and, by Jupiter, I'm gonna travel in STYLE....(!!)

"H.F.M."

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 9:44pm »

on Dec 18th, 2012, 6:39pm, charlie6017 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Charlie

Yeah, "georgeous" is one description. i would probably go with "opulent", myself.

ehbowen
Railfan

« Reply #30 on: Dec 22nd, 2012, 12:32am »

I hope that all of you and the Deity will forgive me, but when I first saw the title of this thread my immediate reaction was, "The World Series champions had a special train"

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #31 on: Dec 22nd, 2012, 10:44am »

on Dec 22nd, 2012, 12:32am, ehbowen wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I hope that all of you and the Deity will forgive me, but when I first saw the title of this thread my immediate reaction was, "The World Series champions had a special train"

Bless you, my son....your sins are forgiven!

As I had stated earlier, even I had not ever heard of this majestic train, until just a few years back.

Indeed, it has to be one of the more obscure consists ever to ride the rails!

"H.F.M."

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Dec 22nd, 2012, 9:38pm »

Ah, Mr. Bowen, now you know what it's like to be a Cubs fan: "Wait till next year!"  Perhaps, maybe, some day, it might be possible for us Cubs fans to forgive the Cards for the Lou Brock trade...

And as for cars, I think an excellent possibilty for the end of the train is LV353.  It's already in red-now if someone can get it out of Steamtown....

Alan

ehbowen
Railfan

« Reply #33 on: Dec 23rd, 2012, 9:56am »

on Dec 22nd, 2012, 9:38pm, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ah, Mr. Bowen, now you know what it's like to be a Cubs fan: "Wait till next year!"

Even worse...I'm an Astros fan. Or was...I don't know anybody who's happy about their upcoming switch to the American League.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Dec 23rd, 2012, 6:27pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2012, 9:56am, ehbowen wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Even worse...I'm an Astros fan. Or was...I don't know anybody who's happy about their upcoming switch to the American League.

Thinking of the Astros, Eric, didn't first owner (Roy Hofeinz), or I guess lead man in the owning consortium, run a couple of private cars? That was in the Colt .45 days, before the change of name, dunno if he continued to run it after the mid-60s.

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Dec 23rd, 2012, 6:37pm »

"Thinking of the Astros, Eric, didn't first owner (Roy Hofeinz), or I guess lead man in the owning consortium, run a couple of private cars?"

He emassed a large collection of cars from a number of railroads, including cars from CofG, CRIP, NYC, PRR, SOU and SP.  Most were scrapped after his death.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
ehbowen
Railfan

« Reply #36 on: Dec 23rd, 2012, 10:11pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2012, 6:37pm, jmlaboda wrote:       (Click here for original message)
"Thinking of the Astros, Eric, didn't first owner (Roy Hofeinz), or I guess lead man in the owning consortium, run a couple of private cars?"

He emassed a large collection of cars from a number of railroads, including cars from CofG, CRIP, NYC, PRR, SOU and SP.  Most were scrapped after his death.

That's correct. My understanding is that he had the idea in mind for a "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" type of hotel here in Houston, but that he never followed up on it.

He also had a special private car built for his Astroworld amusement park which opened in 1968; however after he suffered a stroke in 1970 the car never operated again, to the best of my knowledge. After Astroworld was sold to Six Flags in 1975 the car was sold for scrap and the siding it used to sit on was torn out to make way for an expansion of the park (the "Coney Island section).

--------Eric H. Bowen

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Dec 24th, 2012, 3:24pm »

on Dec 23rd, 2012, 10:11pm, ehbowen wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That's correct. My understanding is that he had the idea in mind for a "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" type of hotel here in Houston, but that he never followed up on it.

He also had a special private car built for his Astroworld amusement park which opened in 1968; however after he suffered a stroke in 1970 the car never operated again, to the best of my knowledge. After Astroworld was sold to Six Flags in 1975 the car was sold for scrap and the siding it used to sit on was torn out to make way for an expansion of the park (the "Coney Island section).

Sort of a shame, wasn't it?

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »