Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 6:18am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"THE COLLOSUS OF BUFFALO" Buffalo Central Tribute
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   "THE COLLOSUS OF BUFFALO" Buffalo Central Tribute
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "THE COLLOSUS OF BUFFALO" Buffalo Central Tribute  (Read 617 times)
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member
Re: "THE COLLOSUS OF BUFFALO" Buffalo Central Tribute

« Reply #60 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 10:15am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

BCT timeline........

http://buffalocentralterminal.org/about-the-terminal/central-terminal-timeline/

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 10:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

HFM -

BAH! Don't start! AMTK would have been happy with a construction trailer at the end of one of the receiving track piers.  
From appearances, little concern it wishes to be thought a class act? Well, unless the stop is used by a former Senator.  
But, C T isn't on the N E C, now is it?

Misc Trivia? In your latest use of NYC logo, and your slogan? Are you denying Robert Young? <G> Mr. Perlman was  
downright publicly a mean guy, and went on to work his magic at D&RGW and WPRR... (Had it not been for William G.  
White, vice D L & W, Perlman would have been wondrous at CFWY)...

..........................Vern................

« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2012, 10:24am by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #62 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 10:39am »

Vern.....

Excuse me, but, I have a meeting with Mr. Young at 9:15.........<G>

"H.F.M."

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #63 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 11:10am »

NYC trackage at Buffalo, 1950.......

http://nyc.railfan.net/buffalo

Henry
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 12:38pm »

on Jun 8th, 2012, 11:10am, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
NYC trackage at Buffalo, 1950.......

http://nyc.railfan.net/buffalo

That's another site of mine too...

Here's a shot I took in 1976 from atop the signal bridge between CP 49A (the interlocking tower in the photo) and where old Tower 50 was.

We're looking east toward Central Terminal just past where Pennsy's Buffalo Line, once double track, crossed the NYC main to get to their downtown yard and freight houses. PRR's passenger trains would come off the Buffalo Line and then back into Central Terminal. In steam days, the power would cut off and run forwards back past Tower 49A and then back down the Buffalo Line to the engine facility at PRR's Ebenezer Yard, several miles to the southeast. In Pennsy days, their double track line crossed the Central's main on diamonds, not crossovers.

A trio of CR/PC U33C's leads a westbound freight through the crossovers to the Chicago main at CP49A in Buffalo. Central Terminal is in the left background. The tail end of the train is just clearing the west end terminal interlocking and the Buffalo Creek connection at mile post 437.  

This scene is mostly gone today. Two tracks, one to Chicago, known now as Track 3 or The Compromise, and one to downtown Buffalo and the north, are all that remain. All of the switches visible here and the signal bridge from which this was shot are gone. The tower is gone without even a trace of its existence left. CSX' Water Level main line now uses the double tracked ex-Buffalo Creek from CP 437 to CP 2, just past CP DRAW at the Buffalo River where it joins back up with Track 3.

There were 9 tracks in use here at one time.

Henry

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #65 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 12:48pm »

Henry.....

As usual, an OUTSTANDING job!

Down here in NJ, there are many similiar scenes, where multiple track mains either have been obliterated entirely, or reduced to only one track with but a passing siding or two.

That the NYC was such a mighty road makes such "before and after" scenes all the more sobering.

"Progress"?

You can have it......

"H.F.M."

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #66 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 12:54pm »

Just thought this might be of historical interest.......

http://www.r2parks.net/BR&P.html

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #67 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 1:00pm »

See also......

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/BFX/Station_view

(THIS is "PROGRESS"?)

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 1:47pm »

on Jun 8th, 2012, 1:00pm, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
See also......

http://www.greatamericanstations.com/Stations/BFX/Station_view

[color=Red(THIS is "PROGRESS"?)
[/color]

Not in my book.

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #69 on: Jun 8th, 2012, 2:00pm »

on Jun 8th, 2012, 1:47pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Not in my book.

Clyde:

You sure can say that again!

Talk about adding insult to injury!

That would be like subbing a a Home Depot storage shed for St. Peter's in Rome!

Sad..........and even sadder.......we just NEVER seem to learn from our many mistakes.......

"H.F.M."

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #70 on: Jun 9th, 2012, 12:17pm »

A NY TIMES editorial, concerning the wanton, then-ongoing destruction of Penn Station in Manhattan (circa-1964), stated:

".......we will not be judged by the landmarks we have saved, but by those we have destroyed........"

Have we learned anything in nearly 50 years?

Obviously not........so much from "learning from past mistakes".......

"H.F.M."

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #71 on: Jun 9th, 2012, 4:23pm »

All:

A number of historical and prservation links here.....

http://www.railserve.com/Historical/North_America/US_Canada/

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2012, 4:27pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #72 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 10:42am »

All:

Vern had suggested earlier that, after abandonment of Central Terminal by Amtrak in 1979, the old facility could have been turned into a college campus.

IMHO, it would be a great priveledge indeed to attend classes within its hallowed halls, and Major in Pearlmanology.......<G>

"H.F.M."

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #73 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 11:19am »

HFM -

1) Not exactly! Either earlier NYC or subsequent P-C should have bailed on C T during era of stewardship.  
It would have made a lovely tax write off!

2) Yes, it would have been gracious to name it the, "Alfred Perlman" Campus. Always to recall that he did what  
he had to do in Railroad Management, in his persona as "...meanest s.o.b. in the Valley!...". The man knew how  
to run a Railroad! (See the TRAINS CD Archives, for articles covering Mr. Perlman.)

.......................Vern......................

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012, 12:37pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Henry
Historian
  CentralTerminal-CP_RDC_Dave_Sherlock.jpg - 63024 Bytes
« Reply #74 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 12:15pm »

IIRC, in the late 1970's or early 1980's the UB School of Architecture produced a small softcover book as part of a study for the adaptive re-use of Central Terminal. I have a copy of it around here somewhere that my dad gave me back when it was created. It was very well done. If I dig it up I'll post some of the plans they drew.  

In the meantime, here's a shot of a TH&B/CP "Buddliner" at Central Terminal that was sent to me 12 years ago by Dave Sherlock. Note the NYC heater car on the next track over. I think this is an early 1970's shot.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/PassengerTrains/CentralTerminal-CP_RDC_Dave_Sherlock.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Henry
Historian
  EastBuffalo1950-MoM-700.jpg - 94438 Bytes
« Reply #75 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 2:30pm »

Back in 1998 and 1999 my friend Ray Roberts sent me a number of Buffalo area photos to put online.

1973 TH&B/CP RDC shot at CT

a couple of PC RS3's by the Railway Express building at CT in 1973

Amtrak E8 262, ex-PC, at CT in 1973

TH&B GP7's at William St near Central Terminal in the 1970's.

I included the last shot because I used to see a trio of TH&B GP7's on the NYC Belt Line on an almost daily basis in the late 1960's and early 1970's. My grade school was next to the Belt Line, much to my delight, and I spent a lot of time watching trains shuttling back and forth, much to the chagrin of my teachers. The Belt Line Branch runs between the Niagara Branch in Black Rock to Central Terminal on the East Side. Most trains entered or left the Belt Line about a half mile from Central Terminal at Sycamore St where the former West Shore main line connects to Frontier Yard at Bailey Ave, but some would continue all the way to CT and either head west past William St or east by the NYC main line to Frontier's West End.

Finally, to help put the area in perspective, here's a RR map of that area that is fairly accurate to around 1950 or so. I based it on a snippet of a TRAINS 1940's Buffalo Map of the Month that I helped produce several years ago. This one is actually far more accurate than their final version was.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/PassengerTrains/EastBuffalo1950-MoM-700.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #76 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 2:46pm »

Henry:

Once again, THANK YOU for sharing some wonderful old views, indeed nostalgic in their own right.

Even forty-odd years ago, there was already an air of decay and desolation surrounding the station........it was easy to see that hard times had set up permanent shop in Buffalo.......

"H.F.M."

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 2:49pm »

Henry -

Many Thanks! I was never quite clear on area of "Iron Island"! The Map depicts it most plainly...

I remain the NYC Tower and Offices should have been a SUNYAB Campus!

........................Vern.....................

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »