Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 22nd, 2017, 6:36pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Texas State Raiload, possiblesale & new operator
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Texas State Raiload, possiblesale & new operator  (Read 94 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« on: May 14th, 2012, 11:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Really more a Tourist Railroad matter, but it does involve passenger trains, so I thought I'd post here as well:

Texas State Railroad hasn't really been doing that well under current owner/operator American Hertitage Railroads. Only one train a day, from Rusk to Palestine and return, instead of a round-trip from each termianl with a meet in the middle. I'm told that ridership on the Palestine turn was frequently - none. Possibly because of it running in diesel instead of steam, while the Rusk train ran in steam (the 2-8-0, #300, at least part of the time).

The Texas State Railroad Board has endorsed a sale to Iowa Pacific. They have a vision (that I can't quite see how it willl happen, but I certainly wish them every good fortune in making it occur) tht includes not only the tourist passenger service, but also resuming freight.

And (this is something Rusk would like to see) putting track back down into downtown Rusk, and if possible activating an extension to downtpown PAlestine as well.

Track used to come through Rusk to the present shop area, so it would be a matter of re-activating (possibly re-aquiring - city of Rusk might help with that) the old ROW and laying track.

As far as Palestine is concerned, there is track still in service from the Palestine depot to the UP. Used to bring ballast and some supplies in to the TSR off UP, and partly operated as an industrial spur by UP. Appears there are/have been discussions about extending passenger service to downtown Palestine with UIP. Problems are said to be "Monumental". Which i take to mean "It ain't gonna happen anytiome soon, if ever".

Story at http://www.youreasttexas.com/Texas-State-Railroad-Authority-votes-to-move-forwa/13091631

Transcon
Historian
Re: Texas State Raiload, possiblesale & new operator

« Reply #1 on: May 29th, 2012, 9:18pm »

After reading this I finally lost all hope that the T&P #610 will ever return to operational condition again.  
But Iīm sure that many more people would have ridden the trains if they were powered by such a famous giant engine.

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #2 on: May 30th, 2012, 4:40am »

Don't sell IP short... steam operates on one of their lines and if the locomotive doesn't require a fortune to refurbish it yet might be done.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 30th, 2012, 6:01pm »

Two things about T&P 610:

One is it probably wouldn't take a huge fortune to over-haul it, but it still wouldn't be exactly cheap. It was running when it returned to Tejas off-lease to Southern Steam Program. BUT - it has been sitting out of service since, and one of the reasons the lease wasn't extended was the engine needed an over-haul at that point..

Second problem is "Where you gonna run it?" UP, even though it is a predecessor line engine, isn't going to be  receptive - engine has friction bearings on all axles, i think, and UP doesn't like that. Among other things including it wouldn't own and control the engine. And it CAN'T run on the TSR as it (the road) now exists. Too heavy, too much rigid wheel-base and too many curves that are too sharp (that too much rigid wheel-base thing). Or so I was told by a couple of people who would know several years ago. And they WANTED to get it running and run it.

No. 400 is probably next steamer to get running. It is probably the best engine they have in terms of being suited to the line, with the Pershing - No. 300 - being right behind. 300 is running right now. 500, the ex-Santa Fe 4-6-2, is a wonderful engine, but not all that great for TSR. It is marginal as far as weight is concerned, is a bit short on TE for the line's profile, and tends to be slippery. 300 and 400 can both handle more cars, and with less fuss. Or so I've been told by folks who work on the road.

I don't have much hope for 610 operating, though they do seem to have plans/aspirations  to build a display area, covered and weather-tight, for it.

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012, 6:23pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Transcon
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2012, 9:11am »

on May 30th, 2012, 6:01pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
covered and weather-tight

Well, the 610 obviously has a covered and weather-tight stall, doesnīt she?
http://www.texaspacificrailway.org/images/orig-7F8B2836-1422-11F2-0AF49DBF4E1CFE2C.png

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jun 4th, 2012, 6:24pm »

on Jun 4th, 2012, 9:11am, Transcon wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well, the 610 obviously has a covered and weather-tight stall, doesnīt she?
http://www.texaspacificrailway.org/images/orig-7F8B2836-1422-11F2-0AF49DBF4E1CFE2C.png

Yes indeed. Also one not very suitable for display to the public....

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »