Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 3:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"HEAD END/DEAD END"
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   "HEAD END/DEAD END"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "HEAD END/DEAD END"  (Read 5772 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: "HEAD END/DEAD END"

« Reply #820 on: Jul 15th, 2012, 5:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Interesting what memory does and doesn't hold. As a Tejas boy, I recall stainless steel lightweights on Santa Fe, Burlington, Rock Island and the KATY stainless steel/red/maroon of the Texas Special, blue and grey and then dark blue on T&P/MoPac and a mixture of Daylight and stainless steel flat sheet with red letterboard on Espee. Heavyweights were all (as best memory serves) mostly Pullman green. I'm sure (likley not so - but so memory insists) I never saw a heavyweight Pullman or coach in anything but green - until the 1960 Scout Special to Colorado Springs for Jamboree. And there i suspect memory is faulty because I recall a mixture of Pullman Green and a light monotone (instead of two-tone) grey. Odd.

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #821 on: Jul 23rd, 2012, 9:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Gentlemen:

The following is from a brief snip (a portion of an old CNJ commuter's notice) printed in "JERSEY CENTRAL STEAM IN COLOR".

Throughout this fine book, a number of old tickets, brochures, etc. of varying vintage have been reproduced in part.

This notice (again, this is all that was printed, as image shows only a portion of this notice) clearly dates to just before all mail trafic ceased on the CNJ in 1965.

It is worth sharing here......

"H.F.M."

"......the US Post Office Department has served notice that it intends to take all U.S. Mail from from Jersey Central passenger trains, and arange with contract truckers to haul the mail on the highways......."

"........ such a move might slightly reduce the Post Office Department's deficit, which has to be met by taxpayers, but the same taxpayers have to build and maintain the highways which the trucks hauling the mail will use, and taxpaying railroad passengers will sooner or later have to pay for a larger share for passenger operations....."

".......Nonwithstanding several years of cooperative effort on the part of the railroad, on-line communities, commuter groups, and the N.J. PUC directed at the Jersey Central's passenger losses, we were unable to reduce out-of-pocket loss below $2, 400,000 This means that, for every dollar of revenue from passenger operations, we have been spending $1.28, and, obviously, we cannot keep this up indefinitley......"

".......since early this year, we have seen passenger operations cost rise, principally in the form of wage increases, and passenger train operations decline, largely because of diverted mail traffic, so that our out-of-pocket losses for passenger operation have risen so that they now exceed $3,000,000 annually......"  

(Here the rest of the text is cut off by the bottom of the page)

Recall that that the CNJ lost all mail traffic in 1965, several years before the last mails were hauled on E-L passenger trains.

Though the RPO's on the E-L were gone by about 1967, bulk (pouch) mail continued to be carried until the last run of the LAKE CITIES in 1970, the very last of E-L's through trains.........

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012, 10:02pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #822 on: Jul 23rd, 2012, 11:28pm »

Interesting, indeed.  Three million dollars a year, in 1965 dollars, was serious money to any private business or industry.  (I was in Junior High School in 1965, and our family of five lived well enough on my Dad's take-home pay of maybe $150 per week-- a net salary of around $7,500 per year).

Interesting, too, that now the Postal Service itself may be going the way of RPOs and Mail Trains-- just as these railroad icons were rendered obsolete by Air Mail and truck haulage, so now the idea of First Class Mail itself is being rendered obsolete by Cyberspace communication.  Yes, I know that there will always be a call for hand-written correspondence, but we may see this service provided by FedEx or UPS rather than by a quasi-governmental organization.  There is precedent for this: in the mid-19th Century, the Pony Express was not run by Uncle Sam-- it was a private enterprise, operated as a sideline by the freight-handling firm of Russell, Majors, and Waddell.  The FedEx or UPS of 160 years ago . . .

Regards,

Norm

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #823 on: Aug 4th, 2012, 9:17pm »

Ah yes, the Pony Express. As best i can tell, it ran at a substantial loss to the company despite the very high prices charged for carriage - and the operators were happy, happy, happy when the telegraph shut them down.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »