Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 2:19am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style  (Read 1889 times)
ehbowen
Railfan
Re: Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style

« Reply #220 on: Jun 10th, 2012, 10:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, if we're computing longest itinerary by through Pullmans, the longest run would almost certainly have to be the through transcontinental sleeper that was handed over from the New York Central to the Golden State in Chicago during the 1948-50 (or so) time period. Thirty-three hundred miles and change beats any other competitor hands down, in my reckoning. But I'm still claiming that the distance champion train was the original San Francisco Chief, which wore the belt until Amtrak extended the Sunset Limited to Miami and Orlando in the early '90s...and for longest itinerary entirely on the trackage of a single U.S. railroad, the San Francisco Chief is still champ!

ETA: Close, but no cigar. I looked it up; the 1971 New York-New Orleans-Los Angeles transcontinental sleeper on the Southern Crescent route through Birmingham and Meridian and the SP Sunset route via Lordsburg and Phoenix has another hundred miles and change on the NYC-RI-SP routing.  There was also a through sleeper via NOL in the mid-50s after the opening of NOUPT; it would have given up 23 miles following the Crescent's original route via Montgomery and Mobile but picked up an extra 30 following the Sunset Limited's early-50s route via Douglas and Bisbee.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2012, 10:35pm by ehbowen » Logged

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #221 on: Jun 10th, 2012, 11:13pm »

Didn't the Rock Island claim the Twin Star Rocket was the longest north-south Pullman run on a single road's trackage (Minneapolis-St. PAul to Houston)?

ehbowen
Railfan

« Reply #222 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 7:26am »

on Jun 10th, 2012, 11:13pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Didn't the Rock Island claim the Twin Star Rocket was the longest north-south Pullman run on a single road's trackage (Minneapolis-St. PAul to Houston)?

I haven't seen that claim in print, but they would have had a tough time making it after the Texas Chief entered service in 1948; Minneapolis-Houston via Rock Island, 1370 miles; Chicago-Galveston via ATSF, 1412.3 miles bumper-to-bumper.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #223 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 7:46am »

Eric - Clyde - All -  

One of the attributes of the late ROCK ISLAND; it had superlative Advertising and Promo of its ROCKET System.  
I'll spot them the claim for Minneapolis - Texas via its TWIN STAR ROCKET. Those keeping the "game stat" cards  
aware of the fact.

Doubtless, the ATSF - TEXAS CHIEF had legitimate claim to longest North - South, on introduction in 1948, and so  
supplanted the older record of the rival...

......................Vern..................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #224 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 8:30am »

We all know that when it comes to advertising, the one who writes the copy gets to define the debate . . .

Chicago - Galveston was the longest route in terms of track miles, but Minneapolis - Houston was apparently the longest great circle distance among north-south endpoints.

I still recall, in the days of print advertising for long-distance trains, the Golden State Route dug deep indeed to bring its own superlative to the table.  It was, um . . . let's see here . . . ummmm . . . don't tell me . . . ummm . . . Oh! The Lowest Crossing of the Continental Divide ! ! ! . . . yeah . . .

Regards,

Norm

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #225 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 9:27am »

on Jun 11th, 2012, 8:30am, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We all know that when it comes to advertising, the one who writes the copy gets to define the debate . . .

Chicago - Galveston was the longest route in terms of track miles, but Minneapolis - Houston was apparently the longest great circle distance among north-south endpoints.

I still recall, in the days of print advertising for long-distance trains, the Golden State Route dug deep indeed to bring its own superlative to the table.  It was, um . . . let's see here . . . ummmm . . . don't tell me . . . ummm . . . Oh! The Lowest Crossing of the Continental Divide ! ! ! . . . yeah . . .

Regards,

Norm

Well, entirely truthful and perhaps in the days before handy take-it-with-you oxygen, a matter of at least slight interest and even consequence to folks with diminished pulmonaty function. Maybe. I guess.

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #226 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 9:48am »

on Jun 11th, 2012, 9:27am, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well, entirely truthful and perhaps in the days before handy take-it-with-you oxygen, a matter of at least slight interest and even consequence to folks with diminished pulmonaty function. Maybe. I guess.

Clyde, you raise a good and valid point, and one that I hadn't seriously considered.  It's been many years since I've put this to the test, but I suppose it's possible that at my age my body doesn't "do" 8,000 feet as well as it used to . . .  I also remember my Dad telling me of a trip he took over Raton, where a fellow passenger was holding his ears in pain all the way across, because he couldn't get them to "pop."  So, perhaps the claim wasn't quite as frivolous as I have assumed.

Regards,

Norm

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #227 on: Jun 11th, 2012, 1:44pm »

on Jun 11th, 2012, 9:48am, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Clyde, you raise a good and valid point, and one that I hadn't seriously considered.  It's been many years since I've put this to the test, but I suppose it's possible that at my age my body doesn't "do" 8,000 feet as well as it used to . . .  I also remember my Dad telling me of a trip he took over Raton, where a fellow passenger was holding his ears in pain all the way across, because he couldn't get them to "pop."  So, perhaps the claim wasn't quite as frivolous as I have assumed.

Regards,

Norm

Norm - I don't know if the point is really valid or not. But the 8K feet airplanes maintain these days shouldn't be a significant problem unless you have REALLY serious pulmonary function impairment. Indeed if you aren't on supplemental oxygen, shouldn't be a problem. Now - the 14K on top of Pike's Peak or even the near 12K  crossing the Continental Divide in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park - that can leave you a bit short of breath just walking from the car or train to the gift shop/visitor center (ask my wife, but then she has an excuse, lost part of her left lung to a tumor and despite the remaining lobe hypertrophying, her pulmonary function isn't what it was before the surgery).

But - since when does advertising have anything signoificant to do with facts, eh?

The ear-popping thing is a different matter - unpleasant but harmless.

Transcon
Historian

« Reply #228 on: Jun 13th, 2012, 4:53pm »

Well, I certainly remember seeing 2 train ads for the Golden State Limited from the early 20th Century, in which it says that it was a Chicago to San Francisco train. This is why I assumed, that the Golden State Limited was a "to San Francisco train" as well. And since the Sunset Limited was cut down to Los Angeles in 1942, I thought the same had might been the case with the Golden State Limited. But well, maybe the Chicago to San Francisco routing on those old ads was only related to some Pullman through sleepers instead of the whole train...

What comes to my mind now is: how about the Chicago to Denver market? Wasnīt Santa Feīs top train on that route the Colorado Flyer? And wasnīt Rock Islandīs Rocky Mountain Rocket itīs strongest rival on that route?
Iīve acutally never seen a photo of the Colorado Flyer, and I also donīt know if it was a heavyweight train or a streamliner.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #229 on: Jun 13th, 2012, 6:44pm »

on Jun 13th, 2012, 4:53pm, Transcon wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, I certainly remember seeing 2 train ads for the Golden State Limited from the early 20th Century, in which it says that it was a Chicago to San Francisco train. This is why I assumed, that the Golden State Limited was a "to San Francisco train" as well. And since the Sunset Limited was cut down to Los Angeles in 1942, I thought the same had might been the case with the Golden State Limited. But well, maybe the Chicago to San Francisco routing on those old ads was only related to some Pullman through sleepers instead of the whole train...

What comes to my mind now is: how about the Chicago to Denver market? Wasnīt Santa Feīs top train on that route the Colorado Flyer? And wasnīt Rock Islandīs Rocky Mountain Rocket itīs strongest rival on that route?
Iīve acutally never seen a photo of the Colorado Flyer, and I also donīt know if it was a heavyweight train or a streamliner.

I'll have to see what I can find on Santa Fe service to Denver. Main player in the Chicago-Denver market was the Burlington's trains, including (in the streamliner era) the Denver Zephyr. That train would have been the main target/competion of the Rocky Mountain Rocket.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #230 on: Jun 15th, 2012, 1:34pm »

Transcon - Clyde -

The nature of the long haul rider business so very competitive, it was hardly uncommon for Railroads to promote  
through Pullman Car runs as serving various destination points.

Cutback of Sunset Limited in 1942 likely wartime compelled. ESPEE had a choice of schedules, running LA to  
and from Northward.

CGO - DEN. Concur with Clyde. BURLINGTON the dominating player...

......................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »