Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 20th, 2017, 4:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style  (Read 1874 times)
Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: Bed 'n Breakfast AT&SF-style

« Reply #140 on: May 11th, 2012, 12:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on May 11th, 2012, 12:19am, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
"WALLS OF SILVER" (La Junta. CO, 1966)

http://gelwood.railfan.net/atsf/atsf-paxtrn-cwg.jpg

Great Photo!!!

This is what it looked like when the Super Chief/El Capitan ran in separate sections.  That's the Super on the left, and the El Cap on the right.  Amazing to think that there was once enough demand to keep this happening every day, day after day.

Regards,

Norm

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #141 on: May 11th, 2012, 12:36am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Undated view of club-lounge-dorm #1342..........

http://rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-p1342.jpg

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012, 12:37am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #142 on: May 11th, 2012, 12:40am »

on May 11th, 2012, 12:30am, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Undated view of a "BIG DOME" lounge (at Chicago?)

http://gelwood.railfan.net/atsf/atsf-co0553jpa.jpg

I agree that this is Chicago.  The Hi-Level to the left of the Dome, and the Diner on the right, suggests (strongly) to me that this is the San Francisco Chief.  Trains 1 and 2 lasted right up to A-Day, so if no date is provided, we're kind of at sea here, though it must be later than 1964, when the first-generation Hi-Levels were "bumped" to the San Francisco Chief when the El Cap was re-equipped.  Think of that-- Santa Fe investing millions (probably tens of millions) in brand-new passenger equipment, in 1964 !

Regards,

Norm

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #143 on: May 11th, 2012, 2:08am »

No details given for this wonderful old "Fallen Flags" view of ex-SF #601 (except car was ex- SUPER CHIEF); indeed, a classic scene,  certainly a great vista of railroad history here.......even an old steamer in the background (also, SCL and BN cars)

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtDINER/amt8070x601.jpg

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012, 2:51am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #144 on: May 11th, 2012, 7:38am »

Norm - All -

Enjoyed your account of rides between LAUPT and Barstow.

Reflections on a Dome Car? For diehard crazies, the front set of seats let one play "check pilot" and watch the signals all night!  
Given enough coffee, one could watch until dawn. Usually, no one in the Dome area thru the night, other than a crew member or  
two. (In the balance of cosmic forces, it was always unfair there were no Domes running South from Washington!)...

Clyde remarked on the rather severe and austere appearance of the Pullman built Domes. Have to agree the Budd design more  
aesthetic. With my own time in on B & O, the Pullmans would grow on you! IIRC, seems to me there was a front panel which  
displayed B&O Logo, Clock and a Speedometer. Period publicity photos can answer the question. (Same photos also support  
the travelers were dressed a bit better than a present day, Big Store clientele claque!)...

........................Vern....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #145 on: May 11th, 2012, 8:58am »

on May 11th, 2012, 2:08am, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
No details given for this wonderful old "Fallen Flags" view of ex-SF #601 (except car was ex- SUPER CHIEF); indeed, a classic scene,  certainly a great vista of railroad history here.......even an old steamer in the background (also, SCL and BN cars)

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtDINER/amt8070x601.jpg

There sure is a lot of interesting stuff to look at here . . .

On the farthest track, it is indeed fascinating to see a steamer in plain sight in 1973!  And that looks to be a second tender (painted silver?) just behind.

I can't tell whether the lettering on the E unit says U N I O N or M I L W A, but my hunch is it's a Milwaukee Road unit.

The Dome Coach is painted for Burlington Northern, and is likely an ex-GN Car.  And what a treat to see a car lettered for Seaboard Coast Line!

Train 3, in the foreground, is the Chicago-Los Angeles Southwest Limited, here heading up from the Coach Yards to be spotted at the platforms for this afternoon's departure.  Diner 601 is right where she should be-- right behind the "Pleasure Dome."  She is one of the last new diners purchased by Santa Fe-- along with the Pleasure Domes for the 1951 upgrade of the Super Chief.  These Diners never saw service on any other train until they were purchased by Amtrak.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012, 9:08am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #146 on: May 11th, 2012, 9:34am »

Norm -

The E- Unit? E-8 or E-9? You suggest there was no "Pool Power" in play, at date of this photo? That is, to the West,  
trains received from or handed off to UPRR, and change of Power at interchange? (Kinda' makes sense?)

The vexing and venerable steamer? Operational? Coal load look full? Possibly MILW Power? It is odd to see it...

..........................Vern.....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #147 on: May 11th, 2012, 2:17pm »

on May 10th, 2012, 11:48pm, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I actually got to ride in Santa Fe's "Big Domes" a number of times in the mid- '60s.  I was in high school at the time, and my parents allowed me, on several occasions, to save up my money and treat myself to a "day trip" on the Chief, round-trip from Los Angeles to Barstow.

There was a tansit bus route that passed a half mile or so from my home, and after an hour's ride, dropped me off at the "side entrance" to Los Angeles Union Station.  I'd always get down there an hour or two before train time, just to soak up the atmosphere of the place.  Bought my ticket (and reserved seat) at the ticket window, and was always first in line when they opened the train gates, twenty minutes before departure.  Down through the tunnel and up the ramp to the platforms, to see that massive (and seemingly endless) wall of fluted stainless steel welcoming me, and inviting me to ride.  I was in heaven.

I stashed my stuff above my coach seat, then went straight to the Big Dome, getting a front-row seat while most everyone else was still on the platform, and still fifteen minutes before departure.  It was a seat I seldom left if I could help it.  Through Pasadena, then my hometown of Monrovia before stopping at Pomona and San Bernardino; then, the climb over Cajon Pass and rocketing across the Mojave Desert to Barstow.  I had about five hours to watch the activity around the Barstow depot (including dinner in the Harvey House's Cafeteria, along with the passengers of the eastbound Grand Canyon, which made an honest-to-goodness Meal Stop there),  before heading back home in the evening aboard the westbound Chief.  My Dad was there waiting to pick me up in Pasadena for the car ride home.

It was something I did as often as they'd let me, and it was a thrill every time.

The view out the front of the "Big Dome" was nearly equal to that of a Short Dome, but only if you were seated in the first two or three rows.  Further back, and Clyde is absolutely right-- but at least you had some forward visibility from farther back, if you squinted real hard.  Certainly better than in the Milwaukee's "Super Domes" (which I've also ridden a time or two).  On SP's homebuilt full domes, the forward windows were essentially for decoration-- for the passengers, forward visibility was essentially zero.

I remember the ride quality of the "Big Domes" as being excellent (of course, at that age my eyes were so full of stars that I would have pronounced anything with flanged wheels "excellent.")  But those beefy six-wheel trucks seemed to do the trick.  The ride just "felt" substantial  (kind of like a Town Car, compared to a Smart Car).

Anyway, just my two cents' . . .

Norm

P.S.  Over on the "Regional Area Operations" Board, under "California," there should be a thread titled "Cajon Pass,"  that begins with a narrative of what it was like to ride over the Pass aboard the Chief.  In composing that narrative, I used only an Employee Timetable for reference, and my personal memories from my own rides on Train 20.

Now those trips are to be envied. I wondered about the claims I'd seen about riding quality - couldn't really imagine Santa Fe would have put up with poor-riding stock on its name trains, and I see that they didn't.  

I wish, now, i think (though I expect i'd have arrived in Dallas to a rather angry mother if i had) that i'd taken the California Zephyr to Denver and then flown (Texas Zephyr no longer operating by then) home when I got back from Vietnam in 1969. Or all the way to Chicago and home on the Texas Chief. Probably better i just got on the airplane from San Francisco. Have to say I (unlike a lot of other folk) had no problems on my return, and Tom Braniff's airline treated me very well. Was a red-eye that left San Francisco in the early morning hours and, figuring the time difference between the West Coast and Dallas, got there around 0800. Not full by any means, though there weren't a lot of empties in coach. Half a dozen soldiers traveling in uniform, with me and one other Vietnam returnees. They diverted all of the uniformed folk to first class and treated us just like we'd paid full price for it. First class was not at all even close to full, so I don't reckon it hurt the airline any, and reduced the load on the stews in cabin, but it was still a nice gesture.

And I still sort of wish I'd taken the train (at least to Denver)....

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #148 on: May 11th, 2012, 3:06pm »

CLYDE -

The late BRANIFF phenomenal! So good to hear they treated our people with respect, and moved up to First!  
Been There! Done That! with them.

A very, very good airline...

.............................Vern.....................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #149 on: May 11th, 2012, 4:07pm »

on May 11th, 2012, 3:06pm, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
CLYDE -

The late BRANIFF phenomenal! So good to hear they treated our people with respect, and moved up to First!  
Been There! Done That! with them.

A very, very good airline...

.............................Vern.....................

Vern, I miss my "Hometown" Airline. Tom Braniff created a good operation and i;lm sorry in fianlly went bust under his successors.  

Will say  I got treated well by American a time or two in the "old days", but I doubt thart would happen now.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #150 on: May 11th, 2012, 5:01pm »

Clyde -

Can I say this here? It is a family board, after all. That "other airline" taken  
over by Nazis, IMHO and AFAIK. In their mischief, they tried best they could  
to wreck competitors (it is all on the record, so I request no one try to sue  
me for noting proved fact!)

Compare: So sometimes BNF didn't run precisely to time? So? Back then,  
I was easy going about the issue. Still am. Stuff happens! It did run one  
classy operation, when all said and done...

(Besides. I rather liked Lime, Lemon and Coffee colored DC-8 aircraft! <G>)

..............................Vern..........................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #151 on: May 11th, 2012, 6:00pm »

on May 11th, 2012, 5:01pm, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde -

Can I say this here? It is a family board, after all. That "other airline" taken  
over by Nazis, IMHO and AFAIK. In their mischief, they tried best they could  
to wreck competitors (it is all on the record, so I request no one try to sue  
me for noting proved fact!)

Compare: So sometimes BNF didn't run precisely to time? So? Back then,  
I was easy going about the issue. Still am. Stuff happens! It did run one  
classy operation, when all said and done...

(Besides. I rather liked Lime, Lemon and Coffee colored DC-8 aircraft! <G>)

..............................Vern..........................

You can say it as far as i am concerned - I thibnk what WAAS one of the finest airlines ever got twisted. Will say was probably at least partially driven to it by Herb Kelleher's extremely cinning villains at SWA.

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #152 on: May 11th, 2012, 6:08pm »

All:

As we have somehow gotten "sidetracked" from Santa Fe passenger equipment for whatever reason................

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Braniff_International_Airways

http://www.braniffpages.com

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012, 6:11pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #153 on: May 11th, 2012, 6:14pm »

Now.......back on SF rails............

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr162.htm

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #154 on: May 11th, 2012, 6:19pm »

"BETAHTAKIN"-class observation cars.........

http://www.pullmanshops.com/ATSF1954.htm

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #155 on: May 11th, 2012, 6:28pm »

Photo page on ex-"EL CAP" cars............

http://hebners.net/amtrak/amtHILEV.html

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #156 on: May 11th, 2012, 6:33pm »

Brief snip (and several pics) on he "PLEASURE DOME"..............

http://willoughbyjunction.com/?p=99

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012, 6:34pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #157 on: May 11th, 2012, 6:41pm »

BNSF #31 gallery..........

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspicture.aspx?id=82381

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #158 on: May 11th, 2012, 7:01pm »

Clyde-

VERY OT: Nah, I can't go for that. Herb's little airline was not the problem!  
BNF knifed in the back the AMERICAN Way! You can look it up!

Side Note: On the "Easy Listening" In Flight Channel. Listen to this, used  
later by Mr. Hughes Air Line...   T W A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5akEgsZSfhg

.............................Vern.........................

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2012, 7:16pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #159 on: May 11th, 2012, 7:38pm »

on May 11th, 2012, 7:01pm, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde-

VERY OT: Nah, I can't go for that. Herb's little airline was not the problem!  
BNF knifed in the back the AMERICAN Way! You can look it up!

Side Note: On the "Easy Listening" In Flight Channel. Listen to this, used  
later by Mr. Hughes Air Line...        T W A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5akEgsZSfhg

.............................Vern.........................

I was suggesting that some of the changes in the way AAL acted (not that it wasn't always a pretty savage competitor) was triggered by SWA. Which also did a lot of harm to Braniff.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »