Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 4:36pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

High Speed Rail in Kali
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   High Speed Rail in Kali
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: High Speed Rail in Kali  (Read 130 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

High Speed Rail in Kali

« on: May 11th, 2009, 9:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, just heard a bit on NPR's "Smart City" program - seems the NIMBY types in California have reared up their ugly heads. Menlo Park and some other town (Burbank, maybe) don't like the proposed and selected route, don't want it coming through their wonderful towns and have filed suit to make the folks in charge change the route. Whee.

HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: High Speed Rail in Kali

« Reply #1 on: May 12th, 2009, 7:45am »

Clyde -  

Some things never change? I lived in Menlo Park, a long while back, during my association with the Big, Green National Motor Carrier...

I can just imagine how, back then, the instant proposal something, "...that just isn't done here!..." Or, in neighboring Atherton for that matter, and Woodside  
completely out of the question...

The communities did vote "No" on original BARTD schemes. Services provided by Big, Friendly Espee were good enough...

..................Vern...............

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 12th, 2009, 9:10am »

There were certain neighborhoods in Dallas (out around White Rock Lake) that were very much against one of the DART lines, and the opposition led to that line being back-burnered. After the inhabitants saw what the line to another area (parallel to Greenville) built instead of the one through THEIR bailiwick resulted in (and it was NOT the noise, dirt and undesirables they  were sure would come), they started agitating for an early build on the one they had previously opposed. They did get the line, but not early.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: May 12th, 2009, 4:57pm »

There is a whole crew of people out there against this thing.  Many like it in concept, just so long as you don't take any land or move any dirt, disturb any critter, or be anywhere close to them to get it there.  But, yes, please give us a convenient station.  Then, of course there are the usual suspects that are against any rail project of any kind any where.  Such as Wendell Cox and cohorts.  There is even an anti-hsr website.  There is a very slick and professional looking 300 page plus anti-hsr "study" that has been done.  Some of the information in it is just plain false, and easily proven to be so.  You got to wonder who funds this stuff.  

Atherton, which is a really wealthy but small in population podunk, Menlo Park and to a lesser extent Palo Alto are leading the charge in the Peninsula cities against this thing.  Atherton is no longer even a Caltrain stop, except on weekends.  It is one of four remaining "hold out" stations, that is one where to catch a northbound train you have to walk across the southbound track because there is not separate northbound platform other than a narrow strip of asphalt between the tracks, which is regarded as not being a safe standing area.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 12th, 2009, 9:47pm »

on May 12th, 2009, 4:57pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There is a whole crew of people out there against this thing.  Many like it in concept, just so long as you don't take any land or move any dirt, disturb any critter, or be anywhere close to them to get it there.  But, yes, please give us a convenient station.  Then, of course there are the usual suspects that are against any rail project of any kind any where.  Such as Wendell Cox and cohorts.  There is even an anti-hsr website.  There is a very slick and professional looking 300 page plus anti-hsr "study" that has been done.  Some of the information in it is just plain false, and easily proven to be so.  You got to wonder who funds this stuff.  

Atherton, which is a really wealthy but small in population podunk, Menlo Park and to a lesser extent Palo Alto are leading the charge in the Peninsula cities against this thing.  Atherton is no longer even a Caltrain stop, except on weekends.  It is one of four remaining "hold out" stations, that is one where to catch a northbound train you have to walk across the southbound track because there is not separate northbound platform other than a narrow strip of asphalt between the tracks, which is regarded as not being a safe standing area.  

Who funds it? I suggest - the usual suspects. Highway lobby and short-haul airlines (I believe Kali is infested by SWA now - didn't they buy PSA some years ago?). SWA is quite hostile to HSR.

Narrow strip of asphalt between the tracks not regarded as safe? Gee, I wonder why anybody would think that way...

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2009, 9:47pm by ClydeDET » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #5 on: May 15th, 2009, 5:31pm »

on May 12th, 2009, 9:47pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Who funds it? I suggest - the usual suspects. Highway lobby and short-haul airlines (I believe Kali is infested by SWA now - didn't they buy PSA some years ago?). SWA is quite hostile to HSR.

Narrow strip of asphalt between the tracks not regarded as safe? Gee, I wonder why anybody would think that way...

Yes, Calif. is well infested with SWA now.  Supposedly, at least for public consumption, they are not against high speed rail here.  Not sure what the reality is.  Maybe they felt that there was some negative fallout from their very public opposition in Texas.  But, the major airports here are approaching capacity.  Could be that SWA figures that the HSR will push out some of the higher cost competitors.  Also, may be thinking that the project may never come to completion or may be so far in the future as to not be worth worrying about.  A lot of the opposition seems to be will to go with "death by a thousand cuts" methods.  To oppose it outright would be to look  bad in front of the "greens", but there are many details that can be fought over to the point that nothing happens.

Texas was a much easier state to build in, not just easier topography, but an easier to work with legal and social situation.  Once the ball got rolling there it would have been much easier to get it to completion there than in Calif.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: May 15th, 2009, 8:01pm »

It strikes me that when you are doing new-construction rail (which the Texas Triangle HSR project would have been), the same contractors who do highways would have been the people who got the contrracts. Just why they didn't get on board (and the highway construction lobby in Texas has more stroke than about anybody) and make sure they got a big piece of the pie has always been a mystery to me.

I sure am sorry we never got that (not that it would have done me a lot of good - i don't live where i could use it).

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »