Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 5:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Most luxurious passenger trains
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Passenger Trains
(Moderator: coaster)
   Most luxurious passenger trains
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Most luxurious passenger trains  (Read 498 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Most luxurious passenger trains

« Reply #20 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 4:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Most accounts I've seen (by people with a basis for making it - not me except from reading and pictures, I never rode either train, darn it) suggest that the Chief and Super were pretty similar in terms of quality of accomodation and service at least into the mid-1950s. Except the Super was faster. And had a bit more cachet of exclusivism (just as, despite the similarity of accommodation and schedule until the 20th Century added coaches while the Broadway was still all-Pullman, the Century seemed to have a bit of mystique the Broadway never quite matched).

I lnow that if soemhow the Chief were resurrected and I got a ride, i wouldn't feel I'd been cheated becasue it wsan't the Super. HEck, if BOTH somehow got resurected, and all i got to ride was the Chief, i wouldn't feel cheated, even if I'd like to give them both a try.

Transcon
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 4:52pm »

Yes, I also think that the difference between the Super Chief and the Chief  in terms as quality of accomodation and service was just a minimal one (before 1954). Both trains had all-sleeper status, extra fare and operated on a 39 h 45min. schedule (I never knew that the Super was faster than the Chief, as far as I know there were 3 Santa Fe trains (Super Chief, Chief and El Capitan) which operated on this 39 h 45min. schedule). And before the 1951 arrival of the Pleasure Domes, the trains also looked pretty much the same from the outside. They both had the dining cars and dormitory club lounges in the middle of the train and a round-end sleeper lounge observations. Differences have only been that the Chief had sometimes heavyweight headend cars and was powered by steam locos instead of diesels until 1947 or so.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2006, 4:53pm by Transcon » Logged
ForestRump
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Aug 26th, 2006, 7:31pm »

The Chief's time did not match (more or less) the Super Chief's or El Capitan's until after it lost the transcontinental sleepers and got coaches and, westbound, a radically different schedule (two days, 1 night) in 1954.

According to Peter Malkin in Night Train, it was about 5-1/2 hours slower than the Super Chief and El Capitan in 1953.  By 1956 the Super Chief and El Capitan were 39:30 and the Chief was 40:15 westbound and 40:30 eastbound.

I certainly agree with anyone who feels that travel by either train would have been a real treat.

RDG_4-8-4
Former Member

« Reply #23 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 12:00am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I would have to say the Super Chief and the 20th Century Ltd. were both the top-of-the-line luxury trains of their day.

Transcon
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 8:02am »

Iīm a bit surprised that nobody mentioned Union Pacificīs City Streamliners. But as far as I know, they were not so good as other western transcontinentals, so itīs not a big surprise.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 11:22am »

The UP "City" trains were curst fine trains, but as best I can tell not quite up to the best the Santa Fe (or EsPee, Northern Pacific or Great Northern) offered. I doubt that I'd think I'd been seriously put upon if I'd been "relegated" to the City of Ls Angeles instead of the Super, though.

ForestRump
Railfan

« Reply #26 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 7:25pm »

I think that with the exception of the Super Chief and the Chief ( in its all-Pullman glory), the UP's City streamliners could easily match any of the other streamliners heading west from Chicago.  I traveled between Chicago and Portland on the Empire Builder, the North Coast Limited, and the City of Portland.  The City was every bit as nice as its competitors and, until the very late 1950s or the 1960s, faster too.

I would say the only aspect where the City streamliners failed to match their competitors was iscenery.  The only outstanding scenery I know of was the City of Portland along the Columbia River gorge (eastbound only; it was dark westbound) and the City of San Francisco through the Sierra Nevada (dark both ways?).

I always thought the dining service on the UP was outstanding ... even on its pool train between Seattle and Portland.  That said, they did not have the advantage of offering all-Pullman service to Los Angeles as the Santa Fe did. But for service to Portland or San Francisco, or in competition with the Golden State, I don't think the UP had anything to apologize for.

Mark_Foster
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 8:21pm »

Forest,

I would agree with you about the UP's City trains. My rating of trains on the  three Chi-LA routes is 1) SuperChief, "Santa Fe All the Way", 2) City of LA, CNW/UP, and 3) the Golden State Limited, RI/SP. None were less than top notch and were the flagships of their respective railroads. Of the three, I only rode the Golden State in 1956 between Chi and El Paso and know the other two only by their reputations. While longer in both time and distance, the Golden State was a great train in both equipment and service.

Mark

atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 10:31pm »

I reiterate my nomination for the ALL PULLMAN City of Los Angeles as a premier post-war luxury train, with multiple-lounges, multiple sleepers (11DB, 5DB-2C-2DR, 10-6's) and unique Dome Diner.  

While not as scenic as the AT&SF's trunk, the CZ's route or the three Northwest transcon's, I have read nothing but acolades for 'Uncle Pete's' passenger service, both the big trains and the lesser runs all the way to Amtrak. Given the iterative criteria for this string the City of LA qualifies on it's consist alone, a first class operation by any standard, per Clyde, I wouldn't feel cheated if I had to ride it either.

silver_champion
Historian
  orient4.jpg - 40400 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Sep 10th, 2006, 7:07pm »

I wish that I had the time and money to ride the AMERICA ORIENT EXPRESS

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/PassengerTrains/orient4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 11:22am »

Don't we all.

richasharma
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Apr 29th, 2017, 3:32am »

Most luxurious passenger trains in India. The Indian Railways and IRCTC provide a wide range of luxury trains in India. There are a total of 5 luxury trains in India – namely Palace on Wheels, Golden Chariot, Maharaja Express, Deccan Odyssey and Royal Rajasthan on Wheels. Classic Rail Journeys offers wide range of luxury rail tour packages in India.
https://classicrailjourneys.com/

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »