Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 21st, 2017, 9:26pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Response to Jersey City timeline
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Pennsylvania RR
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Response to Jersey City timeline  (Read 64 times)
cbaer

View Profile  

« on: Aug 27th, 2015, 2:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

You might want to check out my general PRR chronology which is part of the PRRT&HS website.  I have been working on it for about 20 years transcribing data from company records and reports, among other things.  You are welcome to compare and crib data from it, as long as you don't reproduce the whole thing.  There is a lot there on other railroads as well.  There is also a list of the proper forms of names of many railroads and the dates of their existence compiled from official records.

A number of the files, particularly between 1900 and 1930 are not up to date.  The date the file was posted is given at the beginning.  All information has to be taken "as is" and subject to further checking, which is an ongoing project

There are a couple of small errors in your list  The big one is that the D&R Canal was opened in 1834, not 1838.  1838 was the date they chose as being "completely finished," which served to delay the date at which the clock started running for the duration of the monopoly grant.

Chris Baer

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Response to Jersey City timeline

« Reply #1 on: Aug 27th, 2015, 9:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi Chris. I was about to change my title to from start to 1900. Researching this is a lot easier than Waldo yards. I did come up with some new stuff there. I also have the drawing of the new signal system for the upper and lower yards as the PRR called them.  Well There is more to the Jersey city railroad timeline if you take into all the railroad name changes that occurred as different railroads became  of financial difficulties. I read about them and decided that The Erie is still the Erie, no need to cover all the railroads they became and then returned to the Erie name The NYC's takeover of the Junction railroad to me is not so much as a Railroad adding to Jersey City's prosperity than as a company looking out for number one and trying to take away as much freight business as possible. The Pennsylvania, Erie, and CNJ were the Jersey City railroads. The DL&W, D&H, and O&W never made it there. They invested in other Cities. The NYC was a Weehawken railroad. Along with the Reading and B&O who were just other railroads that went to Jersey City and didn't really invest there. The Lehigh valley almost made my list, but didn't.
* Actually the only railroad I wanted to cover was the Pennsylvania Railroad. The other two are just along for the ride. Many people talk about what went on at Johnson Avenue.  Less talk about Pavonia Avenue. What got to me was how very few knew anything about Mount Pleasant and the Waldo Yards. And why are there no photographs of the 44 stall roundhouse there. Why does the 1928 view I found at the Jersey City Library show a 18 stall roundhouse of a very strange shape.. Waldo yards is a puzzle, and the more you look at it the more questions come up.
 frank

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2015, 9:49pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »