Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 8:11pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

***TIMELINE: PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD IN JERSEY CITY:***
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Pennsylvania RR
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: ***TIMELINE: PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD IN JERSEY CITY:***  (Read 370 times)
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Aug 25th, 2015, 5:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

**  A timeline of what was going on in Jersey City with the Pennsylvania Railroad. **  
*  Please read this first before going on in this thread.
*  Whith in this time line, I am posting some info on the predecessors of the PRR, with basic info of their competitors in Jersey City, the CRR of NJ, Erie, and the LVRR. Who knows it may expand to include what ever I can find on these other three railroads, and maybe even a little about that Hoboken railroad, the DL&W. The original dateline will contain all info on the Pennsylvania railroad that I can find and what is sent to me. I will be adding info on the other Jersey City Railroads that had passenger terminals in Jersey City. I will continue to edit the time line with new the information and list who found it and sent it, and when. Any time line I have posted will have my name toptrain on it. If something is wrong that I have listed please PM me. If correct, you will have your name on that time line, and mine removed. If you want to add to a time line some information, your name will join whoever is created with the post. That way when a member, or guest that is interested in this subject, when they see the list, they may know who found, or added to this particular bit of history.  I will be adding posts with attachments on different time events listed. I have already planed two. They are listed within the original posting. Usually it will be a photo or some text on the time period.  
* This City had a lot going on and most is lost to time.  

My sources for the time line are .
  The Jersey City Public library.  
  The History of Hudson and Essex county's, by William H. Shaw 1884
  The History of the Pennsylvania Railroad, by William Bender Wilson. 1895
  The Plainfield Daily Press, Jan 30,1891. Obituary of Job Male.
  The Railroad Gazette of June 14 1883.
  The Railroad Gazette of Aug  3 1883. P-520
  The Railroad Gazette of Aug 8 and 11 1884 P-584, 596, 828.
  The Railway World 1880 P-346, 1043.
  The Railway World 1893 P-74
  From the Hills to the Hudson, Walter Amdt Lucas. P-179
  Report of the United Railroad and Canal Company 4-28-1869.
  Buildings and Structures of American Railroads by Walter G. Berg.
  Jersey City Historical Sites, Harriet Phillips Eaton. P-101 to 104.
  70 Years of America's Great Railroad, The Pennsylvania.1846-1916.
  The Pennsylvania railroad by William B. Sipes. 1875
  Frank Leslie's Illustrated magazine , Jan 2 1864. and a 1876 issue also.
  University of Jersey City time line of Exchange Place.

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2015, 8:57am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: ***TIMELINE: PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD IN JERSEY CITY:***

« Reply #1 on: Aug 25th, 2015, 5:16pm »

*** The Railroads of Jersey City timeline. ***

* 1815 charted for a railroad to build from the Delaware River, near Trenton, to the Raritan River, at or near New Brunswick. John Stevens received the charter. First railroad in NJ chartered will go from Newark to New Brunswick. Not enough funding and never got started. BY toptrain

* 1830 the charter is reissued again to John Stevens to try again. Thus the Camden and Amboy Rail Road Co. was started. By toptrain.

* 1830 A canal was charted also from Trenton to New Brunswick. This became the Delaware and Raritan Canal Co. The C&A and the D&R were meant to compete for moving freight and now passengers between these locations. They never did compete. BY toptrain.

* 1831 02-15 C&ARR and D&R canal joined. BY toptrain

* 1831 D&R canal  starts digging and opens 1838. BY toptrain.

* 1832 03-07, New Jersey Rail Road is Chartered. Jersey City to New Brunswick NJ. by toptrain 08-26-2015 edit.

* 1832 04-24, New York and Lake Erie Railroad original charted. New York to Lake Erie. After many problems became the ERIE RR. by toptrain 8-26-15 edit.

* 1832 12-17 C&A ran first passenger train from Bordentown to South Amboy via horse cars. By toptrain.

* 1833 01-24 C&A ran its first freight train also Horse drawn. By toptrain.

* 1833, Paterson and Hudson Rail Road opens service to Marion Junction station in Jersey City , from Paterson.  Previous to station called Berger Junction.  by toptrain 08-26-2015 Edit.

* 1833 September, C&A locomotive John Bull pulls its first train from Bordentown to  Perth Amboy. BY toptrain.

* 1834 C&A is complete between Camden and Perth Amboy, 61 miles. BY toptrain.

* 1834 NJRR operated first train from Hudson River to Elizabeth. "Not regular service", a first excursion run, to the new, Jersey City's first railroad terminal. Train from terminal on Hudson street to Marion station was horse drawn
BY toptrain.
*addition edit 9-24-2015 : About the terminal; It was a large for its time. A three track train shed with five surrounding platform walkways. Not sure whether of wood or brick construction. Long side walls had ten evenly divided arched top openings. Only a 1834 drawing survives of this building that is vague, and from this and a lot of guessing goes into what I will say here. Arched side openings were windows, ten of them, placed to give daytime lighting to the terminal. Built with most likely some kind of access, fire exit doors spaced in or among the arches. Main entrance was from Hudson street side where carriages and other transportation dropped people off. I would imagine that space on this end of the building had to have ticket and various waiting rooms. The social order of the Victorian  times demanded separate rooms for men and women. Also a men's smoking room. Even then this habit disturbed many people. As in all public train terminals after one passes through the ticket and waiting areas you access to a head platform that gives access to 5 platforms running the length of the building to the far wall. From these 5 platforms entrance to the train cars can be made. This is my thought on how this terminal worked. This train shed building may have became a part of the of the second terminal built in 1858. A new Romanesque style, more attractive head house terminal was built, one with two towers, one to each side. covered latter on . edit 9-24-2015 toptrain. 

* 1834 NJRR advertises their one passenger car " Washington". A splendid and beautiful specimen of workmanship, containing three apartments besides seats on top. BY toptrain.

* 1834 09-15, NJRR, Regular trips start Jersey City to Newark, eight trips a day using the passenger car Washington and others like it. BY toptrain. Using temporary track over Bergen Hill. Horse drawn train. Trains from both the NJRR and the P&H ( Paterson and Hudson river RR) ran trains to the first Jersey City terminal, sharing it,  on Montgomery and Hudson streets. by toptrain last edited 09-12-2015. The M&E and the CRRofNJ also used the cut to get to the Hudson river.

* 1835, NJRR Jersey City service extends to Elizabeth NJ. by toptrain 08-27-2015.

* 1836 01-01, NJRR extends service Jersey City to Rahway. horse drawn. by toptrain 08-26-2015 edit.

* 1836 Morris canal completed.BY toptrain.

* 1836 C&A made a agreement with the NJRR to build a line from New Brunswick to Bordentown. BY toptrain.

* 1837 NJRR completes the Bergen Hill railway cut, following the line of a water course, and a depression across the ridge, which made it very crooked ; the earth from the cut was piled up over one hundred feet high on the land belonging to the railroad back of the Tonnele place. New cut not opened to traffic as of this time. BY toptrain.

(( I would like to find info on NJRR facilities in 1834 to 1837 when rail operations started. Been looking a lot and none aviable. I have been looking for information on that elusive round railroad terminal that was rebuilt during the 1853 to 1858 period of terminal building.  ))

* Edit 10-1-2015 toptrain, Today at a book store I looked at a book by J T Cunningham, "Railroads in New Jersey, The formative Years." There is a drawing of the Jersey City shore line after 1857 when a new NJRR terminal opened. The two towered terminal structure can plainly be seen. Between it and the riverside is one larger round roof ferry house. From what I have seen, and read this may be the missing round roofed terminal. Though not a train terminal, a ferry terminal. This Round roof ferry terminal was  built by the NJRR and designed by Job Male superintendent of construction for the NJRR.

* 1838 Dec. 02 The cars were drawn by horses on the NJRR up Bergen Hill on a temporary track until the locomotive, "Newark", was used December 2nd, 1838. BY toptrain.

* 1838 01-22, opens Bergen Hill Cut opens . NJRR temporary track removed. by toptrain 08-26-2015 edit.

* 1838 D&R canal open for business. BY toptrain. Edit: 08-27-2015 by cbaer. My choice of words is incomplete. 1838 was when the D&R was complete. It first opened for business in 1834 and was making money, before it was completely done.  

* 1838 Dec 2, NJRR first steam locomotive used on Jersey City to Newark route. BY toptrain.

* 1839 NJRR starts building a new terminal in Jersey City. A new bulkhead is also being building at the foot of Montgomery St for ferry service. By toptrain 8-30-2015. (JCU)
attached note: I think this line from the Jersey City University time line, on the history of Exchange place isn't quite what it says. A 1843 drawing of the terminal in the book "From the Hills to the Hudson",shows the original train shed with a new additions river side. A possible ticket office, waiting room, restaurant, and other conveniences for the patrons. and closer to the river I guess a new ferry slip. These must be what the UJC has in its time line. I would considerate it additions to, or improvements of, and not a new terminal.  

* 1848 Paterson and Ramapo Rail Road opens Jersey City to Suffern NY. Providing a connection to the Erie RR now using their own terminal just north of the NJRR terminal by toptrain 08-26-2015 edit.

* 1848 MAP of Jersey City. This map shows the NJRR freight car terminal on Hudson and Montgomery. A passenger Depot opened in 1848, on Hudson and Mercer streets is most likely the terminal of the Paterson and Hudson river Railroad. It is shared with Erie through trains from New York state on a connection in Patterson to the Paterson and Ramapo Railroad. The P&RRR ran from Paterson to Suffern.

* There is a NJRR shop facility spread around between Washington and Greene streets. The tracks come straight down Railroad Ave from the cut on a unchanging angle to the freight car depot. A roundhouse with attached machine shop is on the corner of Railroad Ave and Washington. The turntable sticks out slightly onto Washington street. The machine shop wall continues from the roundhouse keeping the angle of the street down Railroad Ave, to just past the middle of the block.  

*** Attachment 1 (one).Old map of Jersey City. BY toptrain. (Map from Jersey City Public library.)

* 1851, Erie starts through tickets to Jersey City using the Paterson & Ramapo RR. by toptrain 08-26-2015 edit.

* 1852, Erie leases Paterson and Ramapo RR. by toptrain 08-27-2015.

* 1853, the new Jersey State legislature approved The Railroads purchase of the Ferry franchise and water rights from the Associates of Jersey Company. The Transaction was up held by the US Supreme Court.

* 1853, Erie trains operate to NJRR terminal in Jersey City using Bergen Cut. by toptrain edit 08-26-2015.

* 1853 to 1859; NJRR second NJRR Jersey City terminal: Job Male, six year Superintendent of Construction of the NJRR, 1853-1859, built this complete terminal in Jersey City. He was designer and builder of terminal, docks, ferry houses, and piers, during his term as Superintendent. Reclaiming the natural river front, which included all that section of Hudson Street lying between Essex and Wayne Streets. He planed and built for the company the old circular-roofed depot which was built for the ferry owners from who the NJRR leased the ferry service. The New terminal which was over 500' in length and 100' wide, and which was situated where the supposed 1858 Pennsylvania railroad depot was built. A imposable task that was more the PRR buying a already completed terminal complex and saying they built it.  

*The next time line of 1858 is the PRR's claim of building. By toptrain 8-30-2015 from epitaph in Plainfield Daily Press, 1-30-1891 of Job Male. Accessed from the Plainfield Public library site pages on Library Founders. Page on Job Male.  

* A drawing of this 1858 NJRR terminal was show to me at the Jersey City Public Library during my visit there. In appearance it is nicer, but smaller than what the Pennsy will build latter on.  

* 1858 PRR buys assets of the NJRR. ( This is a terrible statement that is in other time lines. It say nothing about what has been bought. or the terms effecting the sale. The NJRR would never allow the PRR to take over its terminal on the Hudson in 1857, for the price of the terminal alone. No one say what assets were purchased. I cant take this as a real statement.   ).  and " built a 500' long passenger station, with five tracks and started a ferry service to Cortland Street at 10 minute intervals"(Pearlman). ( This is exactly the terminal designed by Job Male, and built by the Job Male for the NJRR in 1853 to 1858. If there is only one terminal the PRR statement is incorrect and needs a lot of rewording.) The two story brick structure, located just north of Montgomery Street at Hudson street, had two towers, one at each corner, on the train entrance end which faced west. There is no drawing or photo of the east end of this terminal Architect Joe Male designed the depot facility. Also the old NJRR depot west of Hudson Street that dated back to 1837 that was also renovated. This old structure may be the old round roof ferry terminal, east of Hudson street. This terminal was built by Job Male but for the owners of the ferry service. : last edit 10-30-2015 toptrain

* 1861 Jan. 28, the Long Docks Co. later Paterson and Hudson River Railroad completes the Bergen Hill Tunnel. BY toptrain.

* 1861 May, P&HRR opens the Pavonia Ferry. Unofficially from 1853 the P&HRR was known as the Erie. BY toptrain.

* 1864 Aug. 1, the Central Rail Road of New Jersey opened their Newark Bay bridge route Elizabeth to Jersey City Ferry. BY toptrain.

* 1867 C&A and NJRR merge forming the United New Jersey Railways and Canal company. BY toptrain.*  

*1871 Dec 1, UNJR&C co leased by the Pennsylvania Railroad for 999 years. BY toptrain.

* 1873 PRR opens a new terminal at Montgomery Street, designed by Joseph Willson. It has 12 tracks, 6 platforms, platforms were 620' in length  these are entirely roofed over by a train shed in 5 spans. This terminal is made of wood built on a pier over the water.  A 40' wide passage lead to the waiting room  The waiting room was 80'X 48'. It is the most ugly terminal, reminiscent of a old Viking hall of the 5 century with all inside beams exposed. More a big barn then a terminal waiting room. These structured were built of solid timber instead of framing, so as to leave no concealed spaces, the object being to reduce danger by fire as far as possible. This is the square terminal.  

* 1876 PRR first RR to run a Limited Passenger train from Jersey City Terminal to Chicago. BY toptrain. edited 08-07-2015.

* 1881 This PRR train became the "Pennsylvania limited", eventually becoming the Broadway limited. BY toptrain.

* 1884 AUG 4, pier fire PRR terminal area. Extensive damage to the 1873 PRR terminal facility. This is the square terminal, and luckily it burned down. BY toptrain.

* 1892  Terminal opened with all the other improvements. Raised roadway between upper and lower yards, New terminal and very large train shed, 8 story PRR office building, New Harrmus yard ( lower yard ) at and in train shed,  New ferry head house with New waiting room and "New two level ferry slips, that could accommodated up to 10 ferry's" (NJU) 8-30-15. A fleet on new, and some rebuilt to allow for passenger entrance and exit from the second level ferries. A new Waldo Yard (upper yard ) in Mount Pleasant section at the base of the heights. A new 44 stall full circle roundhouse has been built here. Because 2 of the stalls are used for entry and exit there are 42 stalls aviable to shelter locomotives.  

Edit addition: This new terminal was designed by Architect Charles Conrad Schneider modeled after the terminal in Frankfort-on-the-Main, Germany. It was completed in 1892. This terminal also succumbed to fire and was replaced the following year. It was demolished in 1953. By toptrain 8-30-2015 (JCU).

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2015, 11:03am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Jersey_City_1848_-_Copy.jpg - 92034 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Aug 25th, 2015, 5:55pm »

** Attachment #1.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/PRR/Jersey_City_1848_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2015, 4:54am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Sep 24th, 2015, 11:25am »

Well it seems that no one outside of a real historian Chris Baer/cbaer really has nothing to say about what I have added here. The first post was August 25/2015. My time line ends with the building of the PRR terminal in 1891. This date has a purpose because it is where I end my time line. Everything before 1891 is what I was looking for. Many people handle what happened after. Even this has a little know fact that not long after opening this 1891 terminal, anther fire burned down the main waiting room and some of the ferry slips, even damaged the office building. It was replaced, or repairs made, in a years time. The Pennsy did not make the new one as nice as the one opened a year before. A real step down. The last real terminal in New Jersey on the North River ( Hudson River ) is said to be that of the New York Central in Weehawken. Publicity of the time says it was the greatest. It seams that every railroad thinks what they build is always the greatest. I can't compare it, for I haven't found anything about this terminal but photos from a distance. To me maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I have found more info on the NJRR 1834 train shed terminal used to handle arriving and departing trains from the beginning of rail service, here on the west shore of the North River. Maybe because it is further from my home and owned by the biggest of the Robber Barons. Also I am not really interested in the NYC. If the name remained West Shore Railroad, and didn't take the name of That railroad, I would know more about it.  
 Back to what I original was thinking about when I started this post. Not many, "opps' I should say none, with the exception of one, said anything in two months of me repeatedly searching book , magazines, and other old texts on 1830 to 1880 information on the first and earlyest development's of railroading on the west shore of the North River (Hudson). Done only for sharing information here. I feel like all the work done was put into a empty, locked, room.
frank

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2015, 11:34am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24th, 2015, 4:40pm »

Frank -

Don't get discouraged. Surely, many of us have read and appreciated your fine work. It is difficult to locate much  
good source material for the Era you researched.

For fact, your solid work takes care of a long running headache for your writer. Three decades back, your writer  
drove the close to the River roadways, Bayonne to Jersey City. There was a very Victorian looking building Sussex/  
Morris/ Essex Sts., and fronting on Hudson St. The site with a Pier extending into the River...

Your writer has long believed the site last served by LVRR. Over the years, the entire area leveled, and new buildings  
those of much progress?  

Else? Trust you also considered role of earlier lines which later DL&W. It was closely connected to Beth Steel.  
DL&W into Buffalo in 1880s, predating Beth Works at Lackawanna, NY...

..............................Vern.............................

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2015, 1:34pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Sep 25th, 2015, 9:49pm »

My main railroads are the CRRofNJ, PRR, LV, P&R. All of these railroads have merged other railroads to become what they became. It is these lost, other railroads, and what they accomplished that catch my interest. At present the NJRR, and Patterson and Hudson river are my main interest. The NJRR round roof terminal of Jersey City is a mysterious terminal, hiding in old writing in books on dusty shelves. I would like to bring this terminal back into the light for closer examination. I have to date only found 2 line of text about it.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

composit_JC_terminals_1843_to_1890.jpg - 203841 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 3:21pm »

***   The Old Montgomery and Hudson street terminals. Those that are gone from even memory. Found only in dusty old book and very old artistic drawings, lithographs, that were carved into wood blocks and had images printed from them. Then framed, then wound up after years a pride-full display in entrance halls, living rooms, library's, and drawing rooms and found there way to attics and basements, lost for years.  

** The New Jersey Railroad and transportation Company built the first, second, and had planed for the third, terminals at this location. The forth Terminal was The idea and much of the design work and finances and land acquisitions  started by first the New Jersey Railroad. Next The United Railroads and Canal Companies of New Jersey. This company was formed after the New Jersey Railroad merged with the Camden and Amboy and canal companies. Here the Pennsy steps in and lease talks are started, completed in 1871, and the  companies of the Camden and Amboy RR , and New Jersey Railroad step back and disappear into history.  

**All the hard work of fight and winning against the monopolies of ferry service, bridges over certain rivers, and transportation services won. The expensive purchases on land, and right of ways. The battles won in the New Jersey Legislature and the against the politicians of Hudson county and Jersey City. In walks the Pennsy. At a time when the founding fathers of these companies are old and tired of fighting everywhere and everyone that stepped up confronting them, and gets the golden plate and spoon.  
Pennsy takes the past laurels of these companies, and takes recognition for all they have done, and claims all as theirs.  

** Back to the items at hand:

**  A composite of 9 views of these past 4 terminals. 1834 the Train shed terminal the first four views. This first terminal was continually added to and updated. The second terminal. views 5 and 6,The tower Terminal, opened in 1857. The one Pennsy bought the assets to from the NJRR in 1858, that never happened. Then claimed to have built a terminal complex that was there for 3 years already.   The third, 1873 Terminal. The square terminal. views 7 and 8. The  Pennsy  leased the URRofNJ in 1871 so this is Pennsy's first terminal. The Pennsy picked there own architect who designed and built this square terminal  so that big square building that looks more like a place to sell cattle in, or a big barn for storing hay and housing cows and pigs is there idea of a terminal in New Jersey. You can thank the Pennsy for this ugly unfinished building. Yes this Architect did do what it could to make it fire resistant. But in 10 years 1884, a fire started and burned it down to the ground. So much for the fire resistant building methods of the Pennsy, and the PRR's choice of Architect, and there ugly waiting room. The fourth terminal opened in 1891 was another terminal that a fire destroyed parts of. The entrance from Montgomery Street, the ticket room, the main waiting room,  part of the concourse to the ferry houses, and part of the office building were destroyed. The giant train shed, most of the concourse, and the ferry houses remained. This terminal is shown in view number 9 as opened in 1891. Most notable missing from views after the fire repair is the large round roofed section between the train shed and the main concourse. After this fire damaged was replaced, a flat roof is seen, even in height even with the surrounding roofs.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/PRR/composit_JC_terminals_1843_to_1890.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2015, 10:26am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2015, 3:41pm »

Frank - Lodge Members -  

Many Thanks for this very thorough summary of events in the area over time.
Truly appreciate this excellent work...

................................Vern.......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »