Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 8:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Maryland's Raymond Loewy Designed Stations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Pennsylvania RR
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Maryland's Raymond Loewy Designed Stations  (Read 150 times)
Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« on: Jul 13th, 2013, 11:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Raymond Loewy is remembered by most Pennsy fans for his work on the GG-1 electric locomotive, but there are also three modernistic former Pennsylvania railroad stations in Maryland which have been traditionally credited to him.  The locations are Aberdeen, Edgewood, and Odenton.

I am most familiar with the Edgewood station because my aunt and uncle lived in Edgewood and we used to take the local trains to and from the station.
Whenever I visited I would walk to the station and watch the action on the Pennsy mainline as GG-1's raced by on the busy NYP-WAS mainline.  I also saw the G's and the P5a's at work hauling freights.  

This was in the days when the railroads we now think of as "fallen flags" were still active and a dazzling assortment of emblems appeared on the freight cars of that era.

Edgewood is located about 21 mi. north of BAL on the NEC.  The station was a medium sized station located alongside the southbound side of the tracks.  It had a ticket agent in the early days.  There was a siding at Edgewood and the station also handled freight from the Edgewood Arsenal.  I remember sometimes seeing an ancient, decrepit looking box car parked on that siding.

On the northbound side was a small waiting shed, also of a modernistic design.

As the 1950's went on, fewer and fewer trains stopped at Edgewood and the railroad stopped having a ticket agent there.

Eventually, the station was closed and began to deteriorate. Eventually, it was torn down.  

Although MARC trains now stop there, there is only a standard bus shelter as a station.

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013, 12:08pm by Inlet-Longport » Logged
Inlet-Longport
Railfan
Re: Maryland's Raymond Loewy Designed Stations

« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2013, 11:38am »

The smallest of the three Loewy designed stations is the Odenton Station which is located about 23 miles north of WAS Union Station and about 17 mi. south of BAL.

The station was closed for many years and used as a storage building by AMTK.  After MARC ridership increased it was decided to repair and reuse the station.  It serves as a busy commuter station on the MARC Penn Line.

Inlet-Longport
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13th, 2013, 11:46am »

Aberdeen (ABE) is located approximately 30 mi. north of BAL on the NEC.  The Aberdeen Proving Ground has provided both passenger and freight traffic.  Several AMTK Northeast Regionals still stop there as do a number of MARC trains..  

The station has been refurbished.  

Wikipedia lists the station as having been designed by Lester Tichy who worked for Loewy.  I am not sure if he was still with Loewy when the station was built in 1943.

Tichy claimed to have designed the Brilliner streetcar for PRR affiliate Atlantic City and Shore R.R. Co. according to an article I read in "The Keystone" a publication of the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical and Historical Society.

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2013, 12:02pm by Inlet-Longport » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2015, 8:52pm »

I know this is an old thread, but I recall the Aberdeen station. I caught PRR trains there to go to Washington while I was stationed at APG in 1966, and then in 1972 and 1973 (Amtrak then, of course) during annual active duty periods when I wanted to go to DC but didn't want to drive. Don't recall much about it, though I THINK it had a passage under the tracks.

Didn't know it was the same vintage as I was (1943...).

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »