Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 24th, 2017, 2:01am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Welcome
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Ohio Central System
(Moderators: Timbo611, MH765)
   Welcome
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Welcome  (Read 1115 times)
MH765
Historian
Welcome

« on: May 17th, 2003, 10:18am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey everybody, I'd like to welcome you all to the Ohio Central forum. The Ohio Central is a network of ten railroads that operate almost 500 miles throughout the East-Central, Northeastern Ohio, and the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area. The Ohio Central is divided into three divisions, Southern Lines, Youngstown Division, and Pittsburgh Division. In addition to it's freight operations, the OC maintains and operates 10 steam locomotives for revenue freight and excursions.

Helpful Links...

To learn more about the Ohio Central's rather exotic motive power roster, see the "OHCR Photographic Roster" thread.

For more information on the OC's Steam Department, visit OCSteam.com.

For more information on the railroad itself, visit OhioCentral.com.

Basic Guidlines

Anyone who bashes the OC or Jerry Jacobson, or any posts of that nature, will be removed. Any "they suck because they aren't running this" or "Why is so-and-so not restoring that" posts WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. Period. Calling out specific people or insulting them in any such fashion will be notified to the forum admin.

You are more than welcome to post photos of the Ohio Central, but please do not post photos taken by others (unless you have their permission and give credit to the photographer).

Thank you for your cooperation and enjoy the forum!

-Mike Huhn
Co-moderator, OC forum

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2007, 1:26pm by MH765 » Logged

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Welcome

« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2003, 10:55am »

How about a little background on the OC for those of us not familiar with it. I think it has steam engines?  

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
Alco83

« Reply #2 on: May 17th, 2003, 1:29pm »

Hope this forum flies, Mike.  I don't live far from the OC, but have never gotten up that way to check it out.  Good luck with your forum.

Parkersburg Branch: Monongah Division
American Rails: Resource Guide to American Railroading
ARF: A Family-friendly Railfan Community!
MH765
Historian
  nophoto5.GIF - 1982 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: May 17th, 2003, 3:02pm »

on May 17th, 2003, 10:55am, BnO_Hendo wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How about a little background on the OC for those of us not familiar with it. I think it has steam engines?  

Oh yes, the Ohio Central has steam. 1551 is undergoing repairs at Morgan Run shops. 1293 pulls daily excursions and 6325 pulls fantrips and specials. FP9s 6307 and 6313 are also used for specials. I don't know the current condition of F7s 1000 and 1001. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and know a lot about the Pittsburgh & Ohio Central. EDIT: Despite my lack of following the photo credit rule, the attached photo has been removed.

-Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/OhioCentral/nophoto5.GIF
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2006, 4:12pm by MH765 » Logged

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 17th, 2003, 4:57pm »

Is the OC a "real" railroad or a tourist line?

MH765
Historian

« Reply #5 on: May 17th, 2003, 6:36pm »

on May 17th, 2003, 4:57pm, BnO_Hendo wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Is the OC a "real" railroad or a tourist line?

Both. It is a tourist line and a major freight line.
Mike

« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2003, 7:31pm by MH765 » Logged

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: May 17th, 2003, 11:22pm »

Really? Now that sounds like a railfan's railroad!  

And to ask a Groucho question: "where is the Ohio Central located?", I'd assume the answer is "Central Ohio?".

MH765
Historian

« Reply #7 on: May 18th, 2003, 5:19am »

on May 17th, 2003, 11:22pm, BnO_Hendo wrote:       (Click here for original message)
And to ask a Groucho question: "where is the Ohio Central located?", I'd assume the answer is "Central Ohio?".

The coperate headquarters is located in Coshocton, the tourist Station is located in Sugarcreek, and the Morgan Run Shops are located in West Lafayette.

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2005, 1:58pm by MH765 » Logged

skybird
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2004, 9:26am »

ohio central is very much a freight road with many diesel units among them are several alco and montreal units. while emd is in a majority alco units are used also in daily service. In the warren ohio area service is daily and usually with gp-10 units, howerver a alco rs-3 and other units also have been here also. from what i have read and heard service is excellent and on time.

SD40dash2
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 2:48am »

My favorite route on the OCS is the line from Columbus to Morgan Run.  I remember riding with the family to Newcomerstown from Columbus as a kid when it was still part of the Panhandle route to Pittsburgh.  It was double-tracked and was a busy Conrail route before most of its traffic was moved to Northern Ohio.  There's a video series of the Panhandle available from Clear Block productions-many meets along the way, and sometimes it seemed like one train followed right after the other.
Also, right after the Conrail split, NS traffic in Central Ohio was hemorrhaging so badly out of control that some NS trains were rerouted over the OCS Panhandle route-a bit of irony to see one of Conrail's successors traveling over a line it had abandoned years ago.  Rail traffic still moves surprisingly quickly over this line-40 to 45 mph, considering there is still much welded rail left over from the CR era.

trainman213
TRAINing

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:22pm »

Hi

I live in Columbus a few blocks away from the panhandle line. I must tell you there are more runs. I love being held up by one at the crossing.

im curious, reading that there are two runs a day  1 inbound to buckeye yard and  1 outbound
but it seems there are more since the full operation, CSX did sell their 50 percent ownership.

is there more info to fill me in.

very strong shortline. Wish there was a current map

thanks

Timbo611
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29th, 2007, 9:35am »

Sorry, this forum will NOT turn into a place for disgruntled people to bash ANY railroad.  If criticism can be done without calling out specific people and in an intelligent way (without using slurs against others) than that would be a different story.  But again, this is surely not constructive criticism, and it is not welcome on this board.  Comments removed.

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2007, 9:37am by Timbo611 » Logged
chal4oye
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:10am »

There's a video series of the Panhandle available from Clear Block productions-many meets along the way, and sometimes it seemed like one train followed right after the other.  
Also, right after the Conrail split, NS traffic in Central Ohio was hemorrhaging so badly out of control that some NS trains were rerouted over the OCS Panhandle route-a bit of irony to see one of Conrail's successors traveling over a line it had abandoned years ago.  Rail traffic still moves surprisingly quickly over this line-40 to 45 mph, considering there is still much welded rail left over from the CR era.

http://www.pass-4sure.net/exam/642-813.html
http://www.sap.com/index.html
http://www.columbia.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_SE
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »