Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 4:10pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Yadkin River Bridge
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   North and South Carolina
(Moderators: Joe_the_Photog, MattF7SD60, Southern Green)
   Yadkin River Bridge
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Yadkin River Bridge  (Read 431 times)
DannyR

Yadkin River Bridge
  NS_8071_Yadkin_River_Bridge_mod.jpg - 29347 Bytes
« on: Apr 28th, 2003, 1:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

On an exceptionally dark overcast day, NS C-30-7 #8071 leads a southbound manifest across the Yadkin River at the north end of Spencer.  

This is usually a hotspot of sorts because of arriving and departing trains to/from Linwood Yard a few miles north of here.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/NS_8071_Yadkin_River_Bridge_mod.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:27pm by DannyR » Logged
DannyR

Re: Yadkin River Bridge
  NS_B-30-7A_3517_mod.jpg - 26815 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2003, 1:06pm »

NS B-30-7A #3517 and mates lead a northbound across the bridge. Most likely an inbound for Linwood Yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/NS_B-30-7A_3517_mod.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2004, 12:29pm by DannyR » Logged
DannyR

Freight_on_Yadkin_River_bridge.jpg - 60092 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Nov 1st, 2003, 10:03pm »

A northbound manifest sits on the Yadkin River bridge north of Spencer. The train is awaiting clearance to enter Linwood Yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/Freight_on_Yadkin_River_bridge.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MattF7SD60
Historian
  DSC03379.jpg - 64840 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 4:00pm »

NS 338 lead by SD40-2 #6163 and 2 "Big Blues" head north across the Yadkin River Bridge towards Linwood Yard with a merchandise train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/DSC03379.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2004, 10:54am by DannyR » Logged

GO TAR HEELS!!!!

"NS 158 has a clear signal, Track 2 Maybelle, NS 158 out."

gifs by www.frograil.com

gifs from www.frograil.com

Moderates: North and South Carolina
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 7:06am »

OK, nice train, but I'm a Civil Engineer, so what about the bridge and track?

Being somewhat sarcastic.  Beautiful train shots in great setting, but I am really curious about the bridge.  This looks like it is two single track bridges side by side rather than a double track bridge.  Is that correct?  Are they alike?  If it is the usual ffor that situation, they were probably built years apart in time, and may be quite different structurally.  Would love to hear some answers or see pictures.

MattF7SD60
Historian
  Copy_of_NS_154_110406.jpg - 42671 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 9:48pm »

NS 154 rolls across the Yadkin River Bridge with a pair of brand new whiteface Dash 9's on the point. In about a half of a mile, the train will turn into the inbound yard lead at Duke and tie their train down in Linwood Yard and then take their engines for servicing.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/Copy_of_NS_154_110406.jpg
Click Image to Resize

GO TAR HEELS!!!!

gifs by www.frograil.com

MattF7SD60
Historian
  Copy_of_NS_173_110406.jpg - 78896 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 9:50pm »

NS 173 has just departed Linwood Yard as he rolls across the bridge amidst the fall foliage with C40-9W #9478 on the point.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/Copy_of_NS_173_110406.jpg
Click Image to Resize

GO TAR HEELS!!!!

gifs by www.frograil.com

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 8:08pm »

Matt- Nice pair of photos from the bridge.

It's interesting to look at the two photos starting off this thread. In just ten or eleven years, both of the types of locomotives shown leading the trains in the pictures have become obsolete on NS. Now, the days of C30-7's and B30-7A's leading trains down the Washington to Atlanta mainline are memories.

Cy

Go Braves!

MattF7SD60
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 3:09pm »

Cy,

Thanks for the comments. What a difference 10 years can make. I can still remember seeing the C30-7's and high hood B30-7A's, along with the parade of the high hood GP38's, SD40-2's and SD60's in the late 90's and even in the early 2000's. I sure wish NS would have kept all of the old stuff and held off on these newer GE's and we would still see the BNSF and UP power we see today. NS can't even keep the GP60's together on intermodals anymore.  

A different aspect of it is that with the the wide cab GE's out there it makes it even more special to see the older power on the point. This is an era that I will cherish and look back on 25 years from now when the standard cabs and high hoods are all but a memory and I will be glad I took photos.  

Matt

GO TAR HEELS!!!!

gifs by www.frograil.com

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 7:20pm »

on Nov 6th, 2006, 3:09pm, MattF7SD60 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Cy,

Thanks for the comments. What a difference 10 years can make. I can still remember seeing the C30-7's and high hood B30-7A's, along with the parade of the high hood GP38's, SD40-2's and SD60's in the late 90's and even in the early 2000's. I sure wish NS would have kept all of the old stuff and held off on these newer GE's and we would still see the BNSF and UP power we see today. NS can't even keep the GP60's together on intermodals anymore.  

A different aspect of it is that with the the wide cab GE's out there it makes it even more special to see the older power on the point. This is an era that I will cherish and look back on 25 years from now when the standard cabs and high hoods are all but a memory and I will be glad I took photos.  

Matt

That's exactly how I feel. Widecabs are all a part of modern railroading though, just as the geep's were all throughout the second part of the 20th century.  

I sure miss the days when I would see 4 unit lashes of SD40-2's dragging woodchip trains up Saluda in the late 90's.  I remember clearly sitting on the swings at the playground beside the tracks and hearing the whine of those turbochargers probably a good 5 or 10 mintutes before the train arrived. Definitely helped to keep me loving railroading for a lifetime. I feel lucky to have seen and done so many things that aren't part of NS anymore, including Saluda and an excursion over the S-line behind 611 in '94. I even have those types of memories for CSX...I rode an excursion on CSX in '98 from Monroe to Chester: I know they wouldn't consider doing that now.

Cy

Go Braves!

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 4:01am »

on Oct 8th, 2004, 7:06am, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Being somewhat sarcastic.  Beautiful train shots in great setting, but I am really curious about the bridge.  This looks like it is two single track bridges side by side rather than a double track bridge.  Is that correct?  Are they alike?  If it is the usual ffor that situation, they were probably built years apart in time, and may be quite different structurally.  Would love to hear some answers or see pictures.  

This is typical for Southern, at least in the Carolina's. Two seperate bridges, both structurally the same and in places where it's been singled out (keep in mind that until Brunson, the entire main line was double tracked) you can see where they left the bridge supports in case they ever felt the need to re-double the track. I don't have any pics handy, but I will make it a point to get some soon for your enjoyment.

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Apr 3rd, 2018, 11:32pm »

on Nov 7th, 2006, 4:01am, electro_soundwave wrote:       (Click here for original message)

on Oct 8th, 2004, 7:06am, George_Harris wrote:  

Being somewhat sarcastic.  Beautiful train shots in great setting, but I am really curious about the bridge.  This looks like it is two single track bridges side by side rather than a double track bridge.  Is that correct?  Are they alike?  If it is the usual for that situation, they were probably built years apart in time, and may be quite different structurally.  Would love to hear some answers or see pictures.  
. . . . .

This is typical for Southern, at least in the Carolina's. Two separate bridges, both structurally the same and in places where it's been singled out (keep in mind that until Bronson, the entire main line was double tracked) you can see where they left the bridge supports in case they ever felt the need to re-double the track. I don't have any pics handy, but I will make it a point to get some soon for your enjoyment.

This should probably set some sort of record for delay in reply, but here it is anyway:  Usually supports are left when a bridge is removed because of the cost of removal.  Sometime even the steel gets left because the cost of removal exceeds the salvage value.  The likely usual reason for removal of piers is because the agencies involved in the river demand it.  Sometimes the reverse can also be true.  I recall a situation quite a few years ago that the local flood control agency demanded that an undersized culvert not be replaced because it served to reduce peak flow to the downstream.  In this case the fill was high enough that it was unlikely to be overtopped, and the agency's demand served to relieve the railroad from liability in case of damage from flooding due to water backing up on the upstream side.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »