Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 12:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

NC DOT and Amtrak
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   North and South Carolina
(Moderators: Joe_the_Photog, MattF7SD60, Southern Green)
   NC DOT and Amtrak
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: NC DOT and Amtrak  (Read 2124 times)
DannyR

Re: NC DOT and Amtrak
  Amtrak_73_041006.jpg - 87063 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 11:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Doesn't seem possible that this thread began 3 1/2 years ago...........

A Piedmont  "cameo" as Amtrak #73 rolls through Kannapolis on a made -to- order sunny April morning. Don't know if temporary or permanent but Amtrak P42s have been subbing as power on the Piedmont of late in place of the F59PHIs

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/Amtrak_73_041006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2006, 11:28pm by DannyR » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #81 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 11:58pm »

Awesome Shot !

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #82 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 4:15pm »

on Apr 10th, 2006, 11:21pm, DannyR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Doesn't seem possible that this thread began 3 1/2 years ago...........

A Piedmont  "cameo" as Amtrak #73 rolls through Kannapolis on a made -to- order sunny April morning. Don't know if temporary or permanent but Amtrak P42s have been subbing as power on the Piedmont of late in place of the F59PHIs

That is hard to believe! Nice shot.

According to Carolina Rails, one of the F59PHI units is in for repainting, and the other two (F59PHI and GP40) are in the shop right for repairs now. Therefore no state-owned power is available, and they have to use P42's for the time being. I don't think it's permanent. Would take some character away from NC's passenger trains.

Cy

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2006, 4:16pm by Southern Green » Logged

Go Braves!

orulz
Railfan

« Reply #83 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 8:09pm »

Actually I think the P42s matched to the NCDOT passenger cars look sharp! Definitely better than I the F59s. The F59 looks ultra sharp pulling a solid consist of Superliners (or their modern equivalent, the "California Car-") but with these single-level coaches it just doesn't quite work. Don't get me wrong, the F59 is a nice looking engine, but with those cars, even the GP40's look better...

I wonder whether NCDOT would ever order some double-decker equipment to go with their engines?  

DannyR

Amtrak_79_042206.jpg - 52176 Bytes
« Reply #84 on: Apr 22nd, 2006, 8:58pm »

April means the days are getting longer and Amtrak #79 again becomes visible in this area in the twilight. Today's train is less than a mile from its station stop in this view.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/Amtrak_79_042206.jpg
Click Image to Resize

DannyR

AMTK_73_042906_mod.jpg - 121643 Bytes
« Reply #85 on: Apr 30th, 2006, 11:09pm »

In almost the same location as the previous photo of #79, #73 makes its morning appearance with both an Amtrak P42 and an NC DOT F59PHI doubleheading the commute.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/AMTK_73_042906_mod.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #86 on: May 1st, 2006, 4:58pm »

on Apr 30th, 2006, 11:09pm, DannyR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In almost the same location as the previous photo of #79, #73 makes its morning appearance with both an Amtrak P42 and an NC DOT F59PHI doubleheading the commute.

Danny-

Nice catch. Two locomotives and five cars is one heck of a consist for the Piedmont

Cy

Go Braves!

orulz
Railfan

« Reply #87 on: May 1st, 2006, 11:34pm »

The longest consist I've ever seen on the Piedmont was August 6th 2005 - two engines and seven cars. Three of the cars were deadhead Amfleets from the wreck where the Carolinian hit a gravel truck in Raleigh.

Incidently, I happened to be riding the train to Charlotte that day, and snapped this photo from the platform:

I wonder why, whenever they have more than one engine, the F59's always end up in the rear.

DannyR

« Reply #88 on: May 3rd, 2006, 10:23pm »

on May 1st, 2006, 11:34pm, orulz wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I wonder why, whenever they have more than one engine, the F59's always end up in the rear.

I have noticed this, too. If the lead unit were a helper, it would make sense. Don't know of any other operational reason, though.

DannyR

AMTK_19_062806_mod.jpg - 77712 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 11:55pm »

Every once in awhile, you get lucky.

Usually passing through this area under the cover of darkness, Amtrak #19, the southbound Crescent, is running about seven hours late in this rare daylight view at Kannapolis.  

I wish the morning light could have been a bit better but I was simply glad to finally get the opportunity to photograph this train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NorthCarolina/AMTK_19_062806_mod.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2006, 11:56pm by DannyR » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #90 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 5:53am »

Whatever happend, happened somewhere between Danville and Greensboro.  However, it was losing all the way out of Washington.  My curiosity got to me, so I checked and found:

Alexandria VA:  due 6:49p, lv 7:00p - down 11 minutes
Charlottesville VA:  due 8:47p, lv 9:38p - down 51 minutes - lose 40 min. in < 100 mi.
Lynchburg VA:  due 9:58p, ar 10:50p - down 52 min - lose 1 min
Danville VA:  due 11:14p, ar 11:57p - down 43 min - gain 17 min
Greensboro NC:  due 12:15a, ar 7:57a - down 7h42m - lose 6h59m
    WHAT HAPPENED ?
Charlotte NC:  due 2:20a, ar 9:52p - down 7h32m - gain 10 min
Greenville SC:  due 4:54a, ar 12:33 noon - down 7h39m - lose 7 min
Atlanta GA:  due 8:13a, ar 4:11p - down 7h58m - lose 19 min
Birmingham AL:  due 11:44a, ar 7:56p - down 8h12m - lose 14 min
Meridian MS:  due 2:44p, ar 11:17p - down 8h33m - lose 21 min
Slidell LA:  due 5:44p, lv 2:36a - down 8h52m - lose 19 min
New Orleans LA:  due 7:10p, ar 3:35a - down 8h25m - gain 27 min, most likely due to terminal slack.  The schedule out from NO is 30 minutes faster than the time into NO.  Some of this extra time may be because they normally wye the train and back in, but I do not know if they do this normally now or not.  Given that there is almost never any slack between the origin point and the first few stops, I would guess that even if they normally wye the train, they did not this time.

So:  What happened where in the 48 miles between Danville and Greensboro?  

George

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2006, 5:56am by George_Harris » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 7:14pm »

Looked for a logical thread to stick this in.  This seemed better than any so far.

NCDOT press release:
http://www.bytrain.org/redbarinfo/news/2008releases/modernizerr_11feb08.html

They have been whittling away at this for a long time.  

Quote:
News Release
Date: 2-11-08

NCDOT Continues Work to Modernize Railroad
with $7 Million Project  
Completed Raleigh to Cary Signal and
Track Improvement Helps Increase Corridor Efficiency

RALEIGH — The N.C. Department of Transportation  recently completed a $7 million train signal and track  project between downtown Raleigh and downtown Cary that will enhance freight and passenger rail efficiency and continue to improve service reliability.

“Projects such as this one demonstrate the important role technology plays in improving the reliability, efficiency and capacity of existing railroad corridors,” said Patrick B. Simmons, NCDOT rail division director. “This new signal system is another example of our ongoing commitment to modernize the railroad and maximize our available resources.”

New bi-directional signals were installed, which will increase the railroad’s capacity and flexibility by allowing trains to move more efficiently in each direction on each track. The signal system uses the latest in cutting-edge technology and provides a cost-effective capacity improvement. The upgraded track work also allows passenger train speeds to increase from 60 miles per hour to 79 mph, which will help improve train reliability.  

Other future planned improvements along the Raleigh to Cary corridor include the junction at Cary, the bridge over East Durham Road and sections of track work along the corridor.  

Through partnerships with Norfolk Southern, CSX Transportation, North Carolina Railroad and local governments, NCDOT’s ongoing program of modernizing the railroad has enhanced safety and capacity by systematically protecting highway-railroad crossings, adding passing sidings, straightening curves and the installation of up-to-date computer controlled train dispatching and traffic control systems.

***NCDOT***

Joan Bagherpour, 919-733-7245 x261
NCDOT Rail Division

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #92 on: Jan 9th, 2016, 1:14am »

Let's drag this thread forward almost 8 years since the last post in it.  NC DOT has continued to invest in the North Carolina Railroad at a somewhat lower key rate than formerly, nonetheless improvements have continued.  Information is still to be found online, now at www.ncbytrain.org  For those that don't know, the North Carolina Railroad is state owned by leased to and operated by Norfolk Southern.  The lease is of long standing.

Greensboro to Charlotte has by now had the double track restored throughout, and along with that several curve improvements, not all of them in Greensboro to Charlotte.  There are also several new grade separations and other road crossings that have been closed.  Currently there are three daily trains Raleigh to Charlotte, one of which is through to New York.  The plan is to have two more trains in each direction by 2017.  When the third train was added, the passenger count PER EACH increased.  It would seem likely that the same one be true with the additional two trains, as traveling by these trains becomes more of a habit and less of an event.  

One of the major projects recently started is a new Raleigh Station.  See https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=11115 for a news release on the groundbreaking.  My own opinion is that the North Carolina program is a lot less noisy but a lot more productive than the gyrations going on in Illinois.

An overall map is at http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/pip/download/PiedmontProjectsMap.pdf

Since the Crescent operates on these tracks between Greensboro and Charlotte Amtrak nationally is getting some benefit from these projects as well, particularly in that the restoration of full double track in this segment should improve reliability.

DannyR

« Reply #93 on: Jan 20th, 2016, 8:18pm »

Double tracking between Greensboro and Charlotte is still in progress at varying stages. Right of way for reinstallment of second main is graded between control points Lake and Bowers, Reid and North Kannapolis, and Haydock and Junker. Track laying has begun but no section is yet complete.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Jan 21st, 2016, 7:58pm »

on Jan 20th, 2016, 8:18pm, DannyR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Double tracking between Greensboro and Charlotte is still in progress at varying stages. Right of way for reinstallment of second main is graded between control points Lake and Bowers, Reid and North Kannapolis, and Haydock and Junker. Track laying has begun but no section is yet complete.

Seems I was misinformed.

DannyR

« Reply #95 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 5:29pm »

George-

I am not positive of the original time frame that the double tracking was to be completed although it has taken longer than most originally thought. The 2017 date to add two more trains could still be realistic if work steadily continues---assuming there are no other obstacles due to the current economic railroad climate or otherwise.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »