Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 24th, 2017, 6:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New York Central Harlem River Drawbridge
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Special Interests
   New York Central Marine
(Moderator: waterlevel)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New York Central Harlem River Drawbridge  (Read 44 times)
waterlevel
Historian
View Profile  

HarlemRiverNYCDrawbridgeBW.jpg - 431362 Bytes
« on: Sep 12th, 2016, 10:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is an antique postcard of the New York Central Harlem River Bridge.
The date is not available but at the time it is listed as the largest drawbridge
in the world.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (431362 bytes, 1125x572 pixels)

Click Here to View Image HarlemRiverNYCDrawbridgeBW.jpg - 431362 Bytes

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New York Central Harlem River Drawbridge

« Reply #1 on: Sep 28th, 2016, 2:59pm »

While I understand that is what was printed on the Post Card, I think the term "Drawbridge" may not be 100% accurate. Looks like a swing span to me. Nice bridge though and it does look big.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28th, 2016, 7:36pm »

Hi, Cliff Clavin here . . .

Perhaps the makers of the postcard used the term Drawbridge, not in the sense of "a bridge that is drawn up into the air," but in the sense of "a bridge over a draw."  The word comes from the same root as "draft" (the depth of water needed to keep a boat from running aground).

Shutting up all over myself now,

Norm

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29th, 2016, 12:06am »

If I am looking at the right bridge on Google Maps, that is the one in approach to Grand Central, the current bridge is a vertical lift, and it does not look to be that old.  It appears that the bridge in your picture is a drawbridge of the swing type persuasion.  You are looking at the bridge in the open position.  When closed for trains to run, the end of the steel span hanging in the air near the right side of the picture will be resting on the stone pier toward the left side of the picture, specifically the right end of the pier at the end of the stone arch on the left side of the picture.  The front of the small boat mid picture is about at the line the bridge will be on when closed.

Remember, the waterway guys were here first, so they usually got what they wanted literally by acts of congress if needed when a railroad wanted to cross over a waterway the waterway guys thought they wanted to be considered as navigable.  It was said that the first bridge over the Lower Mississippi, what is now normally referred to as the Frisco Bridge at Memphis, opened in 1892 and still in service, has the long main span it does because the river guys thought by getting the extreme height and width of span required they would make the bridge impossible to build.  

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2016, 12:20am by George_Harris » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »