New York Central Tugboats #9 & #16. The Tugboat Enthusiasts Society described #16 this way.
New York Central #16 was a non-condensing steam engine powered tug built in 1924 by the New Jersey Drydock & Transportation Company of Elizabethport, NJ. The vessel operated in carfloat service in New York harbor for almost five decades. She was finally retired and sent to her fate in the Witte Marine scrapyard on Arthur Kill along the west side of Staten Island in the 1969. Number 9 was built in 1916.