Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 1:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Can anyone provide more info on this vessel?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Special Interests
   New York Central Marine
(Moderator: waterlevel)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Can anyone provide more info on this vessel?  (Read 598 times)
Albanymain
Enthusiast
View Profile  

ShipsH2OSup.jpg - 116787 Bytes
« on: Feb 9th, 2004, 8:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I picked up this photo from Bob's photo at the Springfield show.  Can anyone provide me with info on it?

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (116787 bytes, 1981x1589 pixels)

Click Here to View Image ShipsH2OSup.jpg - 116787 Bytes

Please see my Yahoo group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Albanymain

Preserving the memory of the beloved Albany Main in N-scale
Albanymain
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Can anyone provide more info on this vessel?

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 9:39am »

I found the webpage that I originally found the picture of this boat on.  It is listed as a New York Central freight boat possibly number 29.  Lackawanna had a similar boat(s).  Any other info??

Please see my Yahoo group at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Albanymain

Preserving the memory of the beloved Albany Main in N-scale
hudsonelectric
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13th, 2004, 8:08am »

Hey, Albany!

I didn't see you in Springfield last weekend!   Where were you? I should have stopped at Bob's myself...I usually do. Where do you live? I'm in CT. Great show, eh? As to the photo, my guess is that this self-propelled barge was used to deliver kegs of drinking and cooking water to ships at anchor. I don't know when ships began using fresh water evaporators or potable water tanks. Just a guess.  

Russ

Jerry C.
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Jul 9th, 2009, 10:24pm »

Hi Group,

I am new to this group, although I do belong to several other rail marine and NYC groups. In reviewing the archives I came across this post with a photo of one of the NYC's steam powered lighters.  I am looking for some additional detail on these boats, specifically Nos. 14, 28 & 35.  I was hoping someone in the group may have come across additional info in the five years since the original post.

A related question: has anyone seen a detailed roster of the NYC's marine fleet and if so, where can I obtain a copy?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jerry  

on Feb 9th, 2004, 8:47pm, Albanymain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I picked up this photo from Bob's photo at the Springfield show.  Can anyone provide me with info on it?

waterlevel
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14th, 2009, 12:34pm »

The best source for the New York Central and other ferries is "Over and Back" The History of Ferryboats by Brian J. Cudahy Fordham University Press, NY ISBN 0-8232-1245-9.   The volume was published in 1990.
Amazon Books

Another set is by Thomas R. Flagg whose New York Harbor Railroads in color Volumes 1&2 from Morning Sun Books, Inc. www.mornilngsunbooks.com Vol. 1 is out of print

Railroad Ferries of the Hudson and the stories of a deckhand by Raymond J. Baxter & Arthur G. Adams Lind Publications, 188 Broadway, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07675  ISBN 0-910389-01-2  Try Amazon Books

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14th, 2009, 1:44pm »

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=MarineOps;action=display;num=1147977257

One down, one to go.......
Jerry C.
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2009, 9:15pm »

Hi Group,

Thanks for the replies.  I do have some of the books in the listing, but so far none seem to have much on the steam lighters.  I suspect by the time the color photos were being made, many of the steam lighters had disappeared.  They were expensive to maintain and operate and there was probably a reduced need for expedited shipping speed after the depression set in.  I have evidence the NYC used them for their harbor mail contract up to April 1937, when the service was canceled.

I also know the LV had two steam lighters on their inventory of equipment published in May 1949.  They were the Coxton, a steel covered lighter of 600 tons capacity and the Victor, a steel open lighter of 400 tons capacity.

The NYC may have had some remaining in the 1940's, but I can't be sure without some evidence such as photos and / or NYC documentation.  I was hoping someone out there had access to some original RR records, but I knew that was a long shot.

Again, thanks for your help.
Jerry

SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Aug 31st, 2009, 9:02pm »

Russ wrote: "As to the photo, my guess is that this self-propelled barge was used to deliver kegs of drinking and cooking water to ships at anchor. I don't know when ships began using fresh water evaporators or potable water tanks. Just a guess. "

It's a good guess that this vessel supplied water to ships at anchor, or in some cases at piers, but it was most likely delivered in bulk through hoses.

The use of potable water tanks, called "scuttlebutts" on ships dates to sailing days, as does delivery of water in bulk.  One of Howard Chapelle's books (IIRC the one on the Sailing Navy) shows a barge-like sloop-rigged vessel called a "Water Hoy" that delivered water by a man-powered pump.  (No surprise, as man-powered bilge pumps go way back.)  

Looking at the photo, you can see that not only is the lettering very weathered, but that the ship's navigation lights have been removed from her lightboards. (Above the pilot house.)  I would say that the ship was "out of service" when the photo was taken.

If the make, model and perhaps year of the automobile in the background can be identified, that would help date the picture.  

John Ruth  

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »