Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 4:45am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Need help identifying a depot (DAV&P?)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   New York Central
(Moderator: Roger_Hensley)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Need help identifying a depot (DAV&P?)  (Read 130 times)
Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

NYCS/unknowndepot.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« on: Jul 13th, 2016, 2:48am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I am hoping that someone in this learned group can assist in identifying the location of the depot in the accompanying photograph. This photo, along with another also of a depot, appeared on a Facebook page dedicated to the history of Chautauqua County, New York. The other photo was identified as being a town along the former Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley & Pittsburgh in Chautauqua County. The semaphore near the depot, and the lightly used trackage suggest to me that this could very well be along the DAV&P. The now deceased photographer was from Chautauqua County. Any assistance would be most appreciated!  

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2016, 3:08am by Aa3rt » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: Need help identifying a depot (DAV&P?)

« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2016, 9:33am »

In the meantime, here is a bit of unlearned speculation . . .

1.  Could that be a roundhouse in the background?  If it is, that could narrow the search.

2.  Any info on whether the depot was already disused at the time of the photo?  It looks rather forlorn and neglected to be in use by passengers, but perhaps not so much if it were only for employees.  If that is indeed a roundhouse in the background, might we be looking at, say, some kind of yard office rather than a depot?  (Pure, mindless speculation here. I could be light-years off . . .)

3.  Under magnification, the sign on the wall looks almost like it ends in a rounded letter-- an "O" or a "D" or perhaps a "G".  If this is indeed the former DAV&P, the only points fitting that description would be Frewsburg (mp 38.25) near Jamestown;  Pittsfield (mp 66.94);  Garland (mp 70.88 );  and Torpedo (mp 73.54).  However, it is possible that none of these locations was ever anything other than a passing siding or spur switch.  One other possibility, that would be consistent with #2 above-- might the sign say __________ Yard?

4.  What other railroads served Chautauqua County?  Is it possible that this is not an NYC depot?

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2016, 11:05am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
train48
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13th, 2016, 1:54pm »

My guess about the depot location would be Falconer, Warren, Pa., or Titusville, Pa. I believe the Dunkirk, Ny. roundhouse was a mile or so south of the Erie hotel depot. IMO, the above 3 towns were the only ones large enough on that line to to justify a roundhouse. Again, this is only a guess. Aa3rt: Check the photos on the Classic Jamestown FB page for photos of Falconer Jct. You may find the answer among those photos.

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2016, 2:00pm by train48 » Logged
train48
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13th, 2016, 2:20pm »

https://www.facebook.com/classicjamestown/photos/a.167442176603601.43726.165577963456689/389262077754942/?type=3&theater

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13th, 2016, 9:31pm »

That 'semaphore' is almost certainly an upper-quadrant order board, indicating that it was (or had been) an open 'operator' station.

Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13th, 2016, 11:02pm »

Gentlemen, Thanks for the replies thus far.  

Train48: I am an almost daily visitor at "Classic Jamestown". While I've not lived in the area for some time, I was born in Jamestown as was my mother. Her father served on the Jamestown Police Department for over 40 years, beginning in the 1920's. He told me of having to meet the Erie Railroad trains coming from Buffalo to watch for suspected bootleggers during Prohibition.

Norm_Anderson: Regarding question number 4, the other railroads that served Chautauqua County were the Erie (Both the mainline running between Chicago and New York, er Jersey..., the New York Central and Nickel Plate Road mainlines along the Lake Erie plain, the Pennsylvania Railroad's Oil City - Buffalo branch that ran north along the west side of Chautauqua Lake through the county seat of Mayville and then down the escarpment to the Lake Erie plain where it joined with the NKP at Brocton to make the run to Buffalo. The already discussed DAV&P branch and the Jamestown, Westfield & Northwestern, New York State's last interurban, that ended electric passenger service in November of 1948 and diesel powered freight service in January of 1950. I've already gone to a couple of websites: "Existing Railroad Stations in New York State" and an Erie Railroad website. Erie depots did not look like this. The factory to the right of the building should be some clue.

I'm not sure that the building shown IS a NYC building, I was hoping that some one here could either confirm that this appears to be NYC architecture or tell me I'm looking in the wrong place.

Incidentally, the DAV&P depot in Warren, PA was torn down shortly after passenger service on the line ended in June of 1937.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »