Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2017, 9:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Did the NYC ever own a B-25?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   New York Central
(Moderator: Roger_Hensley)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Did the NYC ever own a B-25?  (Read 61 times)
r_hottin01
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Jul 1st, 2016, 2:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I read with interest  the article on the NYC M-497 "Jet Train" in this month's issue of Railfan & Railroad. I had heard of the Jet Train before, but in the article, the pilot, Mr Don Wetzel, said he was the pilot of the NYC's B-25, so he got the job driving the jet train. Presumably this aircraft was used for executive transport, a popular post-war use for these a/c.

My question for all the NYC/Perlman era experts out there is simply: does anyone know anything about this aircraft? I have corresponded with some of the top experts around on civil B-25's over on Warbird Information Exchange (WIX) and they can't turn up anything. Repeated searches and inquiries on the aircraft side have been unable to identify this aircraft. The working supposition is that it was owned by/registered to one of the large number of companies controlled by the NYC. My interest in this is that I want to build a model of this plane. So ANY info anyone out there can turn up would be helpful. We do not know the exact dates the NYC owned this plane, but 1955-1970 should cover the most likely years. We do know that Mr Wetzel was based in the Cleveland area and worked at the Cleveland Technical Center, and we believe this plane to have been based in the Cleveland area.  

Sorry, that's all I've got to go on. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any assistance at all with this railroad + aviation mystery!

bob Hottin
boston ma

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Did the NYC ever own a B-25?

« Reply #1 on: Jul 1st, 2016, 5:54pm »

I have not seen the article so I don't know how complete it is, but the whole story is covered in the book The Flight of the M-497 by Hank Morris with Don Wetezl. Mr Wetezl does talk about flying the NYC B-25 in the book, but there are no photos of it there.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
r_hottin01
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Did the NYC ever own a B-25?

« Reply #2 on: Jul 1st, 2016, 6:04pm »

Thanks Mike - I'll try to run down a copy of that book.  
bob h

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »