Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 22nd, 2017, 4:54pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   New York Central
(Moderator: Roger_Hensley)
   Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA  (Read 5343 times)
mike_nepa
Historian
Re: Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA

« Reply #80 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks for that information. We were down there again last week but the growth is still there so was hard to see much. I do have a few pictures.

on Oct 23rd, 2010, 7:13pm, Beech_Cricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Mike, that is the remains of the General Refractories Co. fireclay tipple at Peale. The spur serving it was known as the "clay siding."

Jeff

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4052_Small.jpg - 79297 Bytes
« Reply #81 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:46pm »

Took another trek down to Snow Shoe last week, had a small chance to explore, but the growth has not died off yet. Went to Kato and walked the railroad bed towards Clarence. After taking a picture of the tipple we came across where beavers built a dam and the water is starting to cover the bed.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4052_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4062_Small.jpg - 56298 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:47pm »

As we continued walking, I found mile post #40 still somewhat intact.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4062_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4064_Small.jpg - 81111 Bytes
« Reply #83 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:49pm »

The destination was this bridge, this one the span is intact but the ties are gone. Weird, going the other way from Kato the next bridge is intact and the ties are actually in good shape.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4064_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4071_Small.jpg - 35467 Bytes
« Reply #84 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:50pm »

Back at the Kato crossing, the ties can still be seen opposing the main railbed. The growth was too high to see but I suspect this was a crossing that looped around to serve the tipple that I showed above.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4071_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4101_Small.jpg - 103357 Bytes
« Reply #85 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:55pm »

Riding along the SSRT trail system, just before the road crossing at MP 55 I spotted this right along the railbed. This would be about MP 54.95

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4101_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4103_Small.jpg - 84292 Bytes
« Reply #86 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:55pm »

Climbing down a bit, I got a good shot of the stone work.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4103_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4106_Small.jpg - 103338 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:56pm »

Behind it, set back about 75 feet is the remains of a large foundation. Its very long, but again, the growth prevents a good picture of it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4106_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4109_Small.jpg - 87319 Bytes
« Reply #88 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:58pm »

Backup up a bit on the railbed, I spotted this small remains, this is about MP 54.90, I saw it before, but I am wondering if its part of the above picture.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4109_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  100_4110_Small.jpg - 88371 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 6:59pm »

Next to it seems the remains of a spur track. Hopefully once the growth drops, I can comb this area in more detail. I didn't have the time to really look this over and the growth is still a problem.  

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/100_4110_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

WVTransplant

View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 10:10pm »

Mike,

Just an FYI--if you ever see a metallic red Rzr with black/silver rims while at SS, flag it down.  I'll say hello.  I'll be down there a few times between now and the deep snow (as well as at the Bloody Skillet when time/light permits).

And, as always, great photos.  I'm looking forward to future updates at your nepaview site, too.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 10:15pm by WVTransplant » Logged
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 9:13am »

I ride a red Arctic Cat, I hope to get down to SSRT after more growth dies off. Some of these recent findings is getting me eager to go back. If I have the girl with me she rides a metallic black Arctic Cat.  

I haven't updated my site this year much because I injured my knee this spring which required surgery and rehab. I couldn't get out there during the prime season (spring) The late fall is OK for this but then I also have to be mindful of hunting season. I have been happy finding the remains I saw along the SSRT trail system. I had tried a few walks but the knee just hurt too much, so it nixed the exploring season.

Mike

on Oct 29th, 2010, 10:10pm, WVTransplant wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,

Just an FYI--if you ever see a metallic red Rzr with black/silver rims while at SS, flag it down.  I'll say hello.  I'll be down there a few times between now and the deep snow (as well as at the Bloody Skillet when time/light permits).

And, as always, great photos.  I'm looking forward to future updates at your nepaview site, too.

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 10:27am »

Mike; Just wanted to thank you for the fine coverage of that long gone branch. I enjoy looking at the photos. Sure wish I would have been there for the operations. Would have been great. After a ton of knee operations I have found just wearing a support wrap/brace helps the pain in my knees a great deal. Better then the huge ACL brace that wears on your leg as well. So keep those photos coming. And thanks again.  Take err easy. Keith

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #93 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 6:13pm »

Part of the damage I did to my knee was my ACL and I now have one of those large hinged ACL braces. I was out walking a Lehigh Valley line today, was able to do about 4.5 miles before the knees hurt. I think now I just have to build the strength back. Still hope to get to SSRT again this year.

Mike

on Oct 30th, 2010, 10:27am, darktown2 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike; Just wanted to thank you for the fine coverage of that long gone branch. I enjoy looking at the photos. Sure wish I would have been there for the operations. Would have been great. After a ton of knee operations I have found just wearing a support wrap/brace helps the pain in my knees a great deal. Better then the huge ACL brace that wears on your leg as well. So keep those photos coming. And thanks again.  Take err easy.      Keith

Beech_Cricker
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #94 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 6:35pm »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 6:56pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Behind it, set back about 75 feet is the remains of a large foundation. Its very long, but again, the growth prevents a good picture of it.

Mike, these are the remains of the coke ovens at Gorton.

BEECH CREEK RAILROAD
(New York Central & Hudson River R. R. Co., Lessee.)
Shortest and Best Route to and from the Bituminous Coal Regions of Pennsylvania.
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #95 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 8:02pm »

Thanks again for the information. This will really be a big help for me to fine tune my GPS map for future treks down there to find more remains. Finding the mile post and now having a good GPS mark of the coke ovens, that will really help in dialing in my map I have been making.  

Mike

on Oct 31st, 2010, 6:35pm, Beech_Cricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Mike, these are the remains of the coke ovens at Gorton.

The_Swede
Chaser

« Reply #96 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 12:38pm »

Thanks for the photo coverage.  My wife is a native of Beech Creek so I get up that way occasionally.  I finally saw the "Peale" article on-line....Jeff F. you wouldn't happen to be a graduate of OWU would you?

John Svensson (Class of 81)

Beech_Cricker
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #97 on: Dec 31st, 2010, 7:19pm »

Swede,

OWU being Ohio Wesleyan?  No, not me but the webmaster at the original Peale website is employed there.  I'm a Penn State graduate with campus being almost within spitting distance of the Beech Creek Line.  Hey, I have Swedish ancestry as well.

BEECH CREEK RAILROAD
(New York Central & Hudson River R. R. Co., Lessee.)
Shortest and Best Route to and from the Bituminous Coal Regions of Pennsylvania.
The_Swede
Chaser

« Reply #98 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 1:28pm »

Yep, I meant Ohio Wesleyan....my wife is a grad of Lock Haven U.  
At any rate, I'll be on the look out for your eventual publication.  
Sorry to take this a bit off topic!
John

mike_nepa
Historian
  DSCI0957_46.3.jpg - 63821 Bytes
« Reply #99 on: Apr 18th, 2011, 6:32pm »

Finally had a chance to head down to Snow Shoe and do some exploring. Found some neat things and a few unknown things. So here are a few pictures.

This is a concrete whistle post, the style is different then others I have seen. This is at MP 46.3

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/DSCI0957_46.3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »