Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 9:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   New York Central
(Moderator: Roger_Hensley)
   Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA  (Read 5173 times)
mike_nepa
Historian
Re: Beech Creek Branch, Snow Shoe PA

« Reply #120 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 4:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I have that one bookmarked already, my confusion.

on Apr 25th, 2011, 6:36pm, Beech_Cricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Mike, here you go:

http://go.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/krygier_html/peale/peale.html

More soon.

Jeff

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #121 on: Apr 28th, 2011, 4:32pm »

The past two years, they have had signs in the area that the SSRT trail was being used by truck traffic but I don't know if it has to do with the drilling. I did notice parts of the Grassflat branchline was plowed out recently and I was told there is some logging going on.  

From looking at the cinder block section, it isn't that recent as the ground was not disturbed or saw any signs of recent "construction"  

Mike

on Apr 26th, 2011, 8:58pm, Beech_Cricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mike,

I think you have the Peale station site right, that is north of the track, east of the "highway" crossing.

That slab on the ground looks familiar, as does the block-like thing on its side. I think the pipe is what went under the township road at the crossing.

What baffles me though is the cinder block structure which appears to be partially below ground. This is new to me. I know there is Marcellus Shale drilling activity in the area so maybe this is related to those efforts.

Jeff

Beech_Cricker
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #122 on: May 1st, 2011, 10:25am »

on Apr 27th, 2011, 7:57am, Pappy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Guys,

I’ve been following this thread for a while and thought you might be interested in the book “Today and Tomorrow: Railroads of the Area” that can be purchased for $10 from the Clearfield Historical Society.  I seen the reference from John Krygier’s site and Amazon wanted $75 but $10 is a lot easier on the budget.

http://www.clfdhistory.org/public_html/bookstore.htm

I just purchased a Garmin Oregon 450 and hope to explore Gazzam over the next few weeks.  If you’re interested I could share my information.

Jeff

I would guess that $75 is for a book from the original--1968--printing. Even at that such a price seems way out of hand. The reprint, the $10 version, contains the exact same text, just with different cover photos and maybe a different photo or two inside. I would highly recommend this book.

As for Gazzam, I'd be highly interested in what you find out. I've been there once or twice but did not find much at all. I believe the cemetery, or at least a part of it, survives.

Jeff

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2011, 10:31am by Beech_Cricker » Logged

BEECH CREEK RAILROAD
(New York Central & Hudson River R. R. Co., Lessee.)
Shortest and Best Route to and from the Bituminous Coal Regions of Pennsylvania.
Beech_Cricker
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #123 on: May 1st, 2011, 10:29am »

on Apr 28th, 2011, 4:32pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)

From looking at the cinder block section, it isn't that recent as the ground was not disturbed or saw any signs of recent "construction"  

Mike

Mike, the Peale station was built c. 1884 and removed probably by the time of the end of passenger service in 1933. As such I highly doubt this cinder block section was a part of the station. I guess I'll have to see what this is all about in person during my next trip, hopefully sometime later this year.

Jeff  

BEECH CREEK RAILROAD
Shortest and Best Route to and from the Bituminous Coal Regions of Pennsylvania.
Pappy
TRAINing

« Reply #124 on: May 1st, 2011, 8:58pm »

I made it to Gazzam Saturday but there were no signs of the old buildings in the area I looked.  I overlaid a small crop of a 1903 TOPO in Google Earth and loaded it on the Garmin 450 to help in locating buildings and the old rail line.  I was by myself and didn't want to trespass so I didn't go far.  I then went up the road and parked at the church and hiked in to find the old rail bed that went to the mines (made a track in Google earth for another aid in finding it).  I was within 200 yards of the track and ran into a pile of very fresh bear droppings and decided to go back .  Next time I will have someone with me or a sidearm...LOL

I did stop at the first Kerrmoor tunnel and took some pics on the way back.  The north end caved in and the south end was full of water and I couldn't get too close.  I'll be going back up when things dry up a bit and hike to the second one.

South end

North end

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #125 on: May 2nd, 2011, 4:57pm »

I agree with that 100% some of the other remains do seem from that era. To the best of my ability, this should be the correct location for the station.

Mike

on May 1st, 2011, 10:29am, Beech_Cricker wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Mike, the Peale station was built c. 1884 and removed probably by the time of the end of passenger service in 1933. As such I highly doubt this cinder block section was a part of the station. I guess I'll have to see what this is all about in person during my next trip, hopefully sometime later this year.

Jeff  

Beech_Cricker
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #126 on: May 7th, 2011, 6:19pm »

Pappy, good work! This is Friendship Tunnel which is just (railroad) west of Kerrmoor. The other tunnel, a little further west, is Hoyt Tunnel. I have only been to these tunnels once, maybe 8 years ago. From what we could tell, the cave-in at the west end (north by compass) of Friendship Tunnel must have happened earlier that year. The east (south) end of the tunnel was dry that visit and I do believe we were there in the spring, if memory serves. Maybe there has been some changes to the ground there since my visit as it looks like a virtual ocean there in your shot.

You shouldn't have to "hike" to Hoyt. You can take a little side road righ down to the west portal, though it is quite steep. It might be best to park on top and walk this short road down to the grade. Of course this may have all changed since my visit.

I think a local expert would have to be consulted about Gazzam, assuming any remains are still with us.

Jeff

« Last Edit: May 7th, 2011, 6:21pm by Beech_Cricker » Logged

BEECH CREEK RAILROAD
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #127 on: Jul 2nd, 2011, 9:01am »

I started putting together pieces of what I have on this railroad and put it up on my site. It is still a work in progress as collecting pictures taken over different years and placing them is a challenge. What I have done so far is here..

http://www.nepaview.com/nyc-beech-creek-railroad.html

If there is any mistake or omissions please let me know so I can correct the information. comments can be directly emailed to me at tunkskier@netscape.net

Most of the older section was not accessible so I had to resort to drive-by pictures.  

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian
  DSCI0063_Small.jpg - 71201 Bytes
« Reply #128 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:02pm »

Went down for the annual SSRT chicken BBQ event, my plan was to ride with the club out to the pipeline then break off for awhile and re-join them at the BBQ event. This would have given me time to check out a few things at Kato, but this didn't happen so I only had a short time to snoop around. Well for the short time, it turned up some interesting things.  

The first is to look again at the ties that oppose the main railbed. Here it is but after scraping around, its too long, Note the circle area, I found a screw spike bent over and managed to pull it out.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/DSCI0063_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  DSCI0064_Small.jpg - 76709 Bytes
« Reply #129 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:03pm »

This is the screw spike I pulled out (and kept This is way too long for it to hold in a normal tie. Hmm, this is interesting.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/DSCI0064_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  DSCI0065_Small.jpg - 88535 Bytes
« Reply #130 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:04pm »

The ties of the Beech Creek railroad are visible due to the growth, I drew in the approximate location of the ones I found still in place, here you can see this long opposing tie in relation.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/DSCI0065_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  DSCI0066_Small.jpg - 84680 Bytes
« Reply #131 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:05pm »

Seen here are several more ties opposing the main railbed. Time did not permit me to dig around to see if these too are also long ones.  

These are located slightly upstream from the road bridge if you were to project these down to the stream crossing.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/DSCI0066_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:07pm by mike_nepa » Logged
mike_nepa
Historian
  DSCI0068_Small.jpg - 83134 Bytes
« Reply #132 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:08pm »

Here is the overall length of this long "tie" On the left is where I pulled out that screw. A friend is standing on the right end of this "tie"

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/DSCI0068_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_nepa
Historian
  DSCI0069_Small.jpg - 76504 Bytes
« Reply #133 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 12:11pm »

Another picture showing this in relation to the main railroad bed. A look at the creek did not reveal the abutments of the crossing. This is not a good time of the year for this as if there are remains of the railroad abutments, they will be hidden in growth.  

This is an interesting find, but raises more questions then answers them. There was a track here to service that tipple. I have to get back here after the growth dies off again to get more data for sure. (and when I can spend more time)

Mike

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/DSCI0069_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #134 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 4:39pm »

Looks like a lag bolt used to hold wooden crossing timbers in place at a road crossing.on Jul 17th, 2011, 12:03pm, mike_nepa wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is the screw spike I pulled out (and kept This is way too long for it to hold in a normal tie. Hmm, this is interesting.

Hyrailer
Railfan

« Reply #135 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 4:57pm »

The timber would be laid on top of the regular ties paralleling both rails on both on the field and gage side of each rail, with enough space left between the timber and rail on the gage side so the wheel flange could safely pass. The Lag Bolts would be driven down through the crossing timber and into the tie to hold it in place.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #136 on: Jul 21st, 2011, 4:50pm »

I got to get down there again when the growth dies off and spend some time there snooping around. There has to be more remains of what was there.  

On a different note, I added more to the page on my site about the railroad.

Mike

Beech_Cricker
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #137 on: Jul 30th, 2011, 5:59pm »

Mike, please send me an e-mail as I seem to have lost your addy. I have comments on the lastest additions to your BCRR site.

Jeff

BEECH CREEK RAILROAD
mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #138 on: Jul 31st, 2011, 9:43am »

I sent you an email back, I got a comment from you from he website and I replied to it, therefore you should now have my email address.

Putting that page together on my site is a challenge. I had to assemble bits & pieces over several years and the older pictures I didn't have good GPS tracking.  

The documents you published were a tremendous help. Having items documented by the mile points was invaluable. Once I marked off the remaining posts that were still standing, I projected to where posts should be, but are now missing. Then taking data from your documents, I projected where potential artifacts should be and then went looking for them.  

I had done the same thing up my way on the D&H's Penn Division. I had a timetable with mile points of the cabins and such. I first used this idea on that line as it is much closer to me. I was able to identify quite a few remains along the Penn Division and then turned around and tried it on the Beech Creek line.  

Naturally the lower mile points get inaccurate as most of the line is not accessible anymore. I had to resort to only a few drive-by pictures where the railroad line is close to the road. From what I could see the lower section is mostly undisturbed and could contain some interesting relics. The lowest mile post I saw was #34.  

Mike

mike_nepa
Historian
  olyphant4_Small.jpg - 55989 Bytes
« Reply #139 on: Jul 31st, 2011, 9:51am »

That would make sense for those long ties to be part of a road crossing. It does seem to align with the single lane road bridge shown. Attached is a picture of my town, 1950's. This is the D&H Penn Division crossing but it shows what could be what I saw the remains of at Kato. This crossing is what could have been there to allow cars to cross over the tracks, the ties shown here are also very long.

Mike

on Jul 17th, 2011, 4:57pm, DaveK wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The timber would be laid on top of the regular ties paralleling both rails on both on the field and gage side of each rail, with enough space left between the timber and rail on the gage side so the wheel flange could safely pass. The Lag Bolts would be driven down through the crossing timber and into the tie to hold it in place.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NYCS/olyphant4_Small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »