Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 1:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Lackawanna Coal Company
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   N Scale
(Moderators: Pyronova, x600)
   Lackawanna Coal Company
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Lackawanna Coal Company  (Read 240 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

Lackawanna Coal Company
  Lackawanna_Coal_Co.jpg - 53974 Bytes
« on: Apr 23rd, 2011, 6:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Has anyone built one of these kits from The N Scale Architect? I ordered one yesterday and it should arrive in a week or so. I may not build it for another year or so though. Being a craftsmen level wooden kit, I'll work my way up to it. I'll get back some of my modeling skills with a few simpler DPM kits. Then some of the larger DPM kits and onto some smaller wood craftsmen kits. Only then would I attempt to tackle this project. Anyhow, any tips would be most welcome.  

My model railroad locale will be fictitious but I want to add as much DL&W/EL flavor as possible. I feel this kit will go along way in achieving that look.

Here's N Scale Architect's info about the kit as found on:

http://www.thenarch.com/products/lackawanna-coal-company-n

"The prototypes that inspired the Lackawanna Coal Company kit were located in the Anthracite Coal Region of Northeastern Pennsylvania. In these immense structures, know as "breakers" or "collieries", the hard shiny anthracite coal was brought from a mine shaft or drift and then washed & broken into sizes usable for home heating & industrial processes. Breakers of the size and type represented in this kit were typically built in the 1930s as a means to consolidate the production of several smaller older processing plants and many of them were still operational into the 1970s. At their peak, there were hundreds of these structures in operation and the several thousand employees that worked in them could process as much as 12,500 tons of coal in a single day. The railroads in this area used hundreds of hopper cars to transport this huge volume of coal to customers in the eastern United States as well as to coal piers located along the Atlantic Ocean and Great Lakes. Coal was brought to the breakers for processing from the surrounding mines via extensive mine railroads and conveyors that could literally stretch for miles. The conveyor included in this kit is typical of those used and our M-TRAK product line provides an easy way to create a rail link to the mines. M-TRAK is a 2 6" gauge mine track system that includes turnout, curved, straight and flexible track sections with laser-cut wood ties and metal rails. Mine Locomotives & 4-Ton Mine Cars are also available separately as part of our "Making A Scene" detail parts line. The Lackawanna Coal Company model covers an area of 10"(L) X 11"(W) X 6 "(H)."

Todd K. Stearns

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NScale/Lackawanna_Coal_Co.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011, 6:53pm by toddsyr » Logged

Chip_Warwick
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Lackawanna Coal Company

« Reply #1 on: Apr 24th, 2011, 1:59pm »

I like that one better than the New river one.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24th, 2011, 2:34pm »

I hear that Chip, no comparison at all. I have the New River kit. Looks like parts fodder now. To be fair though, this kit is a breaker not a mine. When I do get around to building the  Lackawanna Coal Company, I may try and get different windows or modify the ones that come with the kit. To me it looks like they need window panes at least half the size of what they are. I simply don't think panes of glass as tall as a person are a good idea in a structure designed for breaking up chunks of coal. Just a thought.

Todd K. Stearns

Chip_Warwick
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29th, 2011, 1:27pm »

I think your right about the windows they are too big.
If you do it show us what you come up with.

[quote author=toddsyr link=board=NScale;num=1303598628;start=
, I may try and get different windows or modify the ones that come with the kit. To me it looks like they need window panes at least half the size of what they are. I simply don't think panes of glass as tall as a person  

Todd K. Stearns [/quote]

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2011, 2:03pm »

Will do Chip.  

The kit has arrived. I did open it up briefly to check it out then resealed it so nothing gets lost. Build time is quite far off. The kit is made mostly of "Laser-Cut Micro-Plywood". This should make it much easier to build than the craftsman type kits of yesteryear which involve assembling various individual pieces of wood for each wall etc. Is that good or bad? I guess that depends on one's own opinion. As long as it looks good I'll be happy. For me it will make a good stepping stone to more complicated things.  

Todd K. Stearns

« Last Edit: May 1st, 2011, 2:03pm by toddsyr » Logged

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: May 6th, 2011, 7:18pm »

Todd,  

I know you can find a good deal of photos of very similar structures. Infact I think a few are still standing in North Eastern PA.  

Bob

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: May 7th, 2011, 12:23am »

Yeah I did a Google image search for "Lackawanna Coal". I still think the windows should be downsized a bit.  Depends on what the kit looks like when it's starting to take shape, what replacements parts are available etc.  

Todd K. Stearns

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19th, 2018, 9:59pm »

Todd,  

This sucker ever see some glue?

Henry
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19th, 2018, 11:31pm »

It's a nice looking kit and would be great with some new windows.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20th, 2018, 9:27pm »

I haven't built a model railroad structure in about 25 years. I'm getting ready to get into it again relatively soon though. I recently dug out a few small DPM kits and am starting with those. I've already prepared the walls by cutting them from the sprues and filing the surfaces where needed. To get ready for structure building, I bought some 1-2-3 blocks and made a bunch of bolts to use with them. 1-2-3 blocks are machined metal blocks used to make perfect right angle corners. The blocks have many holes in them. Five holes are threaded from top to bottom, hence the bolts I made. The threaded holes lets you stack them for taller walls while still keeping everything at a proper angle. I'm currently working on a storage cabinet for the 5 sets ( 10 total ) of 1-2-3 blocks and the 50 bolts I made for them. With perfectly squared walls, making and installing the roofs will be much easier.

Start slow, work on your skills and progress.  
Use the right tools for the best results.  

1-2-3 Blocks:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/1-2-3_block

https://www.ebay.com/i/230791362645?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Todd K Stearns

Henry
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Mar 20th, 2018, 11:34pm »

That's cool, please take some pictures! I haven't built any kits in quite a while myself...

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24th, 2018, 1:06pm »

Like me sum 1-2-3 blocks.. .

In-fact I need a few more!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »