Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 22nd, 2017, 9:21am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Building the Layout
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   N Scale
(Moderators: Pyronova, x600)
   Building the Layout
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Building the Layout  (Read 7523 times)
toddsyr

View Profile  

Re: Building the Layout

« Reply #460 on: Dec 22nd, 2015, 7:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

All is well towny, thanks for asking.  

I just haven't posted anything for awhile due to several reasons.

1. Andrew was away for several weeks taking care of college studies etc. I still did some work on my own during this time, mostly weighting cars.  

2. This is a very busy time for me with my job and it gets tiring. I bought a couple dozen railroad DVD's and spent more than one weekend evening just relaxing and watching those.

3. I'm not that happy with the quality of the images I have been posting. I'm working on that though. I recently bought a nice tripod. Using that with the timer on my camera should provide for sharper images. Lighting is another issue with my images. The light in the layout room used to be perfectly fine for pictures but the fluorescent tube bulbs were fading the paint on everything. I fixed that with protective sleeves that filter out the UV rays. While the lighting in the room still is great for the human eye, it's not quite right for the digital camera. I need a photography light for taking pics but that's going to have to wait for awhile.  

4. I can only take so many pics of what has been accomplished so far. I'll see what I can do about that when I can.

I hope everyone has a great Holiday season!

Todd K Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

Layout_129.jpg - 4281 Bytes
« Reply #461 on: Feb 27th, 2016, 10:48pm »

It's been awhile, I know.  

I now have all 5000K fluorescent light bulbs, home made photography lights that are also 5000K brightness and the tripod. I'm also learning to use a feature in my camera called "Stitch Assist". This enables me to take several shots of something that is too big for one photo and combine them into one image. There is some distortion though.

The drawing below is the actual shape of my model railroad.

Todd K Stearns

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NScale/Layout_129.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2016, 10:52pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

Layout_130.jpg - 75531 Bytes
« Reply #462 on: Feb 27th, 2016, 10:55pm »

Below is the much compressed image of the layout using stitched together images.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NScale/Layout_130.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2016, 10:55pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

Layout_131.jpg - 127672 Bytes
« Reply #463 on: Feb 27th, 2016, 10:59pm »

For a somewhat better view, I split the original image in half and used the maximum allowable width of 900 pixels. Below is the left half of the layout.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NScale/Layout_131.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2016, 10:59pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

Layout_132.jpg - 124053 Bytes
« Reply #464 on: Feb 27th, 2016, 11:02pm »

Below is the right half of the layout. The original bitmap images I have are much larger and sharper.

Todd K Stearns

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/NScale/Layout_132.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2016, 11:04pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #465 on: Apr 10th, 2016, 6:18pm »

Coupler conversions continue. Hundreds of cars have been converted by now so we're getting to the end of it. Andrew has done all of these so far as I don't have the talent or eyesight to assemble the Micro-Trains couplers.  

There's still one manifest freight, the passenger trains and two coal trains to go through yet and see what needs to be changed out.  

I'm currently working on some of the coal cars.  The Atlas 90 ton coal cars anyways as Trainworx has made it quite simple.  

The Atlas 90 ton open top hoppers don't have much to body mount couplers to. You would normally fit a piece of plastic inside the end cage to accomplish this. This doesn't look too great though.

Trainworx has produced an assembly that fits right into the bottom of the end cage with a body mount coupler already assembled and attached.  

See:

http://www.train-worx.com/details.coupler.htm

I use part no. #622-Black. They work so well on my Erie Lackawanna cars that they don't even need to be painted. It's a perfect match. Nice snug fit too.  

Installation is simple:  

1. Remove the trucks

2. Remove the wheels (so you don't damage them while working).  

3. Carve off the old coupler assembly from the trucks, even that little round nub.  

4. Glue the Trainworx coupler assemblies into each end of the hopper car.  

5. Put the wheels back in the trucks.  

6. Put the trucks back on the car facing backwards (old coupler end facing inwards) so they clear the new coupler assembly.

7. Check coupler pin height (none of mine so far have needed adjustment).

8. Put the car on the track.

Todd K Stearns

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2016, 6:21pm by toddsyr » Logged

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #466 on: Dec 23rd, 2016, 10:01pm »

There's nothing new to look at so I haven't posted a picture in quite a while. I did make my first attempt at making a video though. For those with a bit of tolerance, it can be seen at:

https://youtu.be/4jZs1a0i9uU

Todd K Stearns

Henry
Historian

« Reply #467 on: Dec 26th, 2016, 5:35pm »

That was cool!

Now do one where you follow it around the layout

More!

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #468 on: Dec 27th, 2016, 7:48pm »

Thanks Henry. Quite a bit of cleanup will be necessary before an an around the layout video can be done. Maybe I'll do one of the staging yard next. It is the current highlight of the layout and will remain so until it gets permanently covered by the top level.  

Todd K Stearns

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #469 on: Dec 30th, 2016, 11:45am »

Thanks for the update.  

Good to see trains running!

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #470 on: Dec 30th, 2016, 8:41pm »

Thanks towny. Trains have been running for a few years now. That's how they're tested. 1200 trouble free laps (going through 12 different yard tracks) before a train is "certified" layout ready.  

Todd K Stearns

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #471 on: Apr 8th, 2017, 10:50pm »

Train testing continues. I think we've done about 15 or so of them so far. Each one goes a little faster as the track bugs and rolling stock issues are worked out. The latest train being tested is a vintage Bachmann Turbo Train. I found one of these not too long ago that had never been used. The plastic boxes with the locos and cars were still sealed with the factory tape. It runs pretty good considering it's age. It needed some oil, wheels put in gauge and Fox Valley wheels on the cars. I test it at 97 mph on code 55 track, It stays on the track just fine at this speed, forwards and backwards. Not too shabby for single axle cars!

A short video can be seen at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0rfNLTvnbk

Todd K Stearns

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »