Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 25th, 2018, 2:36am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

'Live Steam and Ride on Scales' Photo - 'electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_007.jpg'
LiveSteam/electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_007.jpg   Original: 640 by 480 pixels - Current: 640 by 480 - 100%
                          Try your mouse wheel too!

Re: Building Live Steam Railcars with Moose the Cabaoose     -   Response #57   -   Go to Post in Thread
Posted by moose_the_caboose in Live Steam and Ride on Scales on 05/08/06 at 22:56:38
'electronic_controller_melt-down_5-7-06_007.jpg' 640x480 JPEG 69937 bytes

hi all,

i taking a short break from building to show you that nothing in this hobby is risk-free.  whether your equipment is powered by steam, gasoline, diesel, or electricity...be prepared for anything!  yesterday at the largo track, i decided to run my engine.  i was taking it out of the containers and turned on main power to ease it on to the lift.  there was a bang, a lot of smoke, and some flames.  we got the fire out, luckily no one was hurt, nothing else was damaged, and the wiring stayed intact with no damage.  however, a 400 amp controller is toast!

there were no faults in any of the external systems, it's just one of those rare occurances where it just turned loose.  the housing is/was factory sealed, but the explosion blew out the bottom and set the service car alit.

enjoy,

moose the caboose