Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 11:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

What type of wood do you use for your ties?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: What type of wood do you use for your ties?  (Read 59 times)
Darthmoose74
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Sep 22nd, 2017, 8:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

There is a great thread about ties on this forum and all the different ways to install them but I do not see a discussion on what wood types you all use.

I live in Nebraska where the weather goes from one extreme to the other in the course of a year and the area I am in has really soft dark dirt. It could be 100 degrees one day, 50 and raining the next,  -10 and snow after that. LOL

In today's options in the world of 2017, what do you use for wood in the USA when using ALUMINUM rails and do you have a links to where you get yours?

Thank you for your time.

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2017, 8:36am by Darthmoose74 » Logged
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: What type of wood do you use for your ties?

« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2017, 7:48am »

Hi, we use what ever we can find for free.  Wood doesnt care about temp but dislikes moisture.  WE put ours into the dirt and find they last about 5 years.  If you can afford treated lumber for ground contact, you will find it will last longer.  The next best thing is to get it up on ballast that will drain the water and let the tie dry out after moister contact.  A lot of people buy their wood at a lumber yard and cut to size with a table saw.  I havent seen anyone offer pre-cut tie unless you go to plastic.  

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
Darthmoose74
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:58pm »

Thing is I hear two apposing things for ALUMINUM rail. Some say use pressure treated wood, and some say not too as it will eat the aluminum and screws.  

I know the formula for pressure treated changed in 2003 but dose the new formula not eat ALUMINUM??

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2017, 10:49pm »

on Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:58pm, Darthmoose74 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thing is I hear two apposing things for ALUMINUM rail. Some say use pressure treated wood, and some say not too as it will eat the aluminum and screws.  

I know the formula for pressure treated changed in 2003 but dose the new formula not eat ALUMINUM??

Darthmoose74:  If you are going to use pressure treated 2x4's on edge, soaking them in additional wood preservative is common here in the south.  Termites are abundant here.  If you are thinking of using 2x2's, don't worry about the aluminum....you are going to be doing trackwork every weekend.  What little corrosion the preservative causes is the least of what tasks you will encounter.  Changes in seasonal temperatures will keep you busy!

Aluminum is the easiest to push and pull into shape, but I like the feel and sound of steel rail.

moose

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »