Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:49am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Green County Railroad Boxcar #500
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Green County Railroad Boxcar #500  (Read 229 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« on: Jul 24th, 2016, 4:19pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi all,

After having a difficult start to summer, all is not doom and gloom.  I was able to make my annual trip to Michigan to visit with Pockets.  What a great time!  During the previous 6 months, I've been planning the GCRR boxcar as shown below:

In my research, I found that the railroad owned almost no rollingstock, but leased from Georgia Car and Locomotive.  While the photo shows the the #500 with archbar trucks, Fox trucks were fairly common in middle Georgia.  That condition gave me the chance to alibi my way into a pair of ODF Fox trucks.  Why?  Because archbars are common and I wanted to show that other types of trucks were also in use.  

I found out the a friend had purchased 2 sets and wanted to part with 1, so I bought them!  The aluminum castings are ok, but not the same quality that the SR&CL Rwy produce, but they are what they are...mine.

So, what did the originals look like?

And my trip to Michigan?  To burn up some electricity and get the machines whirring again.  I'd wanted to complete this project in a week's time but.....

....since I'm using Thom Bee wheels and axles, I found out that standard bearings and bushings won't work.  I'm working with my local bearing distributor to get something that will work.  I also contacted Thom Bee, who offered the replacement bearings that were original to the set, but the bearings O/D measurement puts it out of the specs I need for my journal boxes.  So...patience is required.  I've wanted to build this this boxcar more than five years and have been planning this car for 6 months or more....waiting a few more months is nothing.

moose

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Green County Railroad Boxcar #500

« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2016, 7:42pm »

Hey Moose, Glad to see you are planning something.  How is Pockets doing?  He is very quiet!
Has he worked on the model A car any?

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 2nd, 2016, 3:02am »

That car and its special bogies is a great project. Good luck with it.

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2016, 4:49pm »

tomc:  not widely published, but his swmbo'd passed away last year.  He's adjusting is a good way to put it.  He and his son straightened out the shop so that we could have some fun.  He also got a part-time job to occupy his time.  The Model T project is starting to move again after being dormant for at least 2 years and I'm hoping that once he adjusts, that he will continue to do little jobs in the shop.  Keep him in your thoughts.  He also has no internet, but I think that it will change at some point in the future.  I've wanted to stop by and see the SR&CL again, but my trips have been so short, there's been no time.  Let everybody know that we still think of them often.

Pete:  With the health problems I've been dealing with, I'm delighted to be working on this project!  Started walking(geocaching) with a friend to build strength in my legs.  Got a cruise to Alaska in the future and ...in time, I want to visit Australia(that's a warning or a threat...hmmm?).  For now this project is one of the first to be built just for me.  Thank you for your encouragement!

moose

BandM_Jim
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 8th, 2016, 8:44am »

Hi Moose -

Good to hear you're on the mend.  It's been a while since you updated this project.  Are you still working on the wooden box car ?

Thanks for sharing all the information you've published over the years !

- Jimi -
   Harvard, MA

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11th, 2016, 5:01pm »

on Nov 8th, 2016, 8:44am, BandM_Jim wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Moose -

Good to hear you're on the mend.  It's been a while since you updated this project.  Are you still working on the wooden box car ?

Thanks for sharing all the information you've published over the years !

- Jimi -
   Harvard, MA

Hi Jimi: I've been working alot and changing the way I eat...it's helping.  No cereal grains, potatoes, breads...boy do I miss them!  I'm doing the boxcar and more!  Beginning in January, I'll start and show the machining work to be done on the Fox trucks that will go under the boxcar.  There's the Green County Passenger car and a vegetable boxcar to do.  I've ordered and received a pair of archbar trucks form Allen Models, that will be fun!

to all: thank you for sticking with me and with the live steam threads.  once my shop is back in order (stopped now because of main door replacement), the saws will be running again!

btw, welcome all newcomers to the live threads!!!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20th, 2017, 5:53pm »

Hi all,

Heading to Michigan tomorrow afternoon!  The Fox trucks are going with me and I hope to have them assembled by the 1st of August.  Got the bearings ready to be fitted to the journel boxes and axles, after that it is just machining and tapping the bolt bosses.  When the trucks have been proven to track right, I will start on the car itself.

moose

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »