Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 22nd, 2017, 2:43am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Metal Spinning
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Metal Spinning
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Metal Spinning  (Read 156 times)
Dan Watson
Historian
Metal Spinning
  Cylinder_Covers_DSP.jpg - 87067 Bytes
« on: Feb 13th, 2014, 4:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My friend David Price needed some cylinder covers for his RGS 20 4-6-0, so I cranked up the big lathe and made some via metal spinning.  These started out as 6" diameter aluminum disks 0.060" thick, and I gradually worked them down into the shape shown.  The inside diameter is 4.38" and the flange is about 0.750" high.  I used a hardwood mandrel in the lathe and a roller tool in the toolpost to form the shape.  Each one took about 10 minutes to form.
The loco should be sporting the new covers at the un-meet next week!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Cylinder_Covers_DSP.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Metal Spinning

« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2014, 6:54pm »

Dan, that is nice work and in quick time also.  Dave will be HAPPY!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 6:27pm »

I was impressed with your dome spinning, and this project looks even neater.  What special ops did you have to do to get that 90 degree bend smooth and straight?
Pete

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 8:34pm »

Pete,
The process was pretty much the same as the dome, except that these covers were aluminum so it was a bit easier to make.  I turned up a hardwood cylinder the same diameter as the inside of the cover, and centered it in the lathe on a faceplate. Then I drilled a small hole in this mandrel and inserted a small wooden dowel. The aluminum plate (with a matching hole) was placed over the dowel, and another wooden block was added to "sandwich" the aluminum plate so when pressure was applied from the tailstock, the plate wouldn't slip.
Then, I just started working the outer edge down a little at a time with the roller until it was finally pressed against the wood cylinder.  
I ran the lathe at about 150 rpm and used some grease between the roller and aluminum. Patience is required, because one of the disks I hurried, and the metal started to wrinkle. That cover was scrapped, but the other four turned out ok. What worked best was to only deform the metal about 0.025" per pass, using both hand wheels to work the edge down a little at a time.  Also, it worked better to work the metal from right to left. After the cover was pried off the mandrel, I put it into the other lathe and parted the ragged edge off the outer end of the flange, then turned the cover over and trued up the corner with a file.
Sorry, but didn't get any pictures of these ops.

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2014, 8:50pm by Dan Watson » Logged
Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 6:51pm »

Great work!
I remember as a young boy, I used to watch my Dad spinning metal like that. He made hot water cylinder end caps of various sizes.
It is something I will have to give a try at some stage!

Visit the Boulder Creek Tramway at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 9:12pm »

Thanks! David and I got together at the Manatee track near Bradenton, FL and he installed the front covers on his engine.  Here is a video of his daughter starting a 43-car train with the engine. Oh, yeah, that's me on the first car behind the tender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR29rdcnaE0&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2014, 9:13pm by Dan Watson » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »