Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 5:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Welding flash
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Welding flash
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Welding flash  (Read 189 times)
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Welding flash

« on: Jun 30th, 2013, 7:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Just thought you might have heard of this one.
I remember in my youth that my brother got a dose of welding flash and it put him in hospital and felt like hot sand in the eyes.
A friend told me he had a cure for WF.  As soon as you do it, he said, close your eyes, but not tightly, and go to a dark place and don't open them until the dot has completely disappeared.  
I have to say I was sceptical, until yesterday when I was welding the final switch for my new station. I moved my arm and caught my elbow (funny bone) on a support just as the arc struck. As I recoiled  I got the full force of 100 amps straight in my eyes.
Surprisingly I remembered the "cure" so I kept my eyes closed, switched off the welder, pulled down the mask and sat down. Half an hour later the spot had slowly changed from white to blue to red to purple then it was gone (I could clearly see an image of the weld and the rod tip) and there's no problem since.
If it's an old wives tale, it's a good one
Pete

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Welding flash

« Reply #1 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 3:29pm »

hey pete,

sorry to hear of your accident and relieved to hear that you are doing better.  do me and the rest of us a favor my friend...do have your eyes checked and imaged for even minor retinal damage.  that dog bites sooner than you might think!  glad you remembered the old wife's tale, but verify before putting your precious sight on the trust and faith of folklore.  if the doctor says ok, your quick action saved something you really don't want to lose.  having worked as a lighting & sound technician, i can tell you what i lost and would like to have back!?!  once gone, it stays gone.

keep up the good work!

moose

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Jul 2nd, 2013, 4:59pm »

Nice to know, but I have had my share of flash burns and I have to agree with George. Get it checked out and please let us know what you find out.
Take care,
Russ

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2013, 3:05am »

Yes, mom, OK mom

Already been to the opto, the same afternoon. Told me there's no sign of damage. He did know the trick but said he'd never seen anyone completely unmarked, as they usually rub the eyes and try drops and things.
Btw. It is a risk working on your own, especially when there's no mobile phone cover and the nearest hospital is over an hour away.  
Oh and the eye guy told me I need glasses! doh.
Pete

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »