Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 3:28pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Autocad Experiences...Q&A for Live Steam Railroading.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Autocad Experiences...Q&A for Live Steam Railroading.  (Read 417 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« on: Jun 13th, 2012, 6:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

well, while many of our posters are off for the summer...some to the west coast...many just to relax wherever they be...i wanted to spring something new on our forum.  many years ago, i, like a few others, were trained as draftsmen for a multitude of displines.  in my railcar-building, i've grown quite use to not doing any drawings, save a few graphic notes on a cocktail napkin.  the long and short of it is, i already knew what i wanted to do, but just needed a memory 'jogger' to keep me on track.  that was just fine for me when i was working in my comfort zone.  however...the future path of my journey in this hobby is taking me beyond what my knowledge base is and is pushing me to actually learn new skills.

i've come to realize that what i'm uncomfortable doing is trying explain to a cad/cam system what i want it to do.  there are a lot of talented people who've been doing just that for many years, but every time i get near my computer and try autocad...i get lost in the weeds.  i'm comfortable programming...or used to be...for a number of older programming languages, but cad systems...without a mentor to guide me, still leaves me baffled.

it is for the reason that i wish to learn a new skill...one that puts me further down the path of building locomotives and rollingstock along with enhancing a desire to learn how everything works.  through my  conversations with many of you, i've tumbled on to the thought that others would enjoy a forum about cad/cam specifically about live steam railroading.  there are a couple of posters who view our forums that i feel have enough command of autocad and might possibly be willing to lend their knowledge and experiences to make this a thread worth the occaisional read.

in my particular case, i found a way to gain autodesk's approved software as a mentor...meaning it is an educational copy.  as a mentor working with their software, so as i learn, so as i teach.  going forward, i have given my honor not to use their tool for commercial purposes, but to share with you.  as we explore what cad programs can do, when one of my doodlings is completed, with henry's blessing, i'll find a way to make the actual dwg files available.  until that avenue has been explored and blessed, i and you should only be posting images.  eventually, i would hope that there would be a repository available for workable drawings created with the sole intent of making at least one facet of the hobby accessible to those who follow.  while there are those who earn a living full time or part time from this type of work, there is no intent on my part that their work be stolen.  therefore, let all the works posted here be for the betterment of the hobby.  nor as it has been explained elsewhere, please don't post a drawing with the intent to create a commercial business cash flow.  what i have learned through out  life, the one thing i first learned from my grandfather...is that a master craftsman loves what he does and wants to share.  

so...if you've experience with cad/cam, please consider this space a canvass for teaching me and those who follow how to achieve the levels of cad success that enhances our live steam experience.

so what do you think...can we have one of the best threads for teaching and presenting knowledge about cad/cam programs as a means to further the live steam hobby?

moose

Henry
Historian
Re: Autocad Experiences...Q&A for Live Steam Railroading.

« Reply #1 on: Jun 13th, 2012, 11:21pm »

If you don't have anywhere online to store the .dwg files I can put them in a storage area here and give you links for them. If I get ambitious I can make an upload page for you that will allow you to do the whole deal yourself.

I wouldn't mind learning Autocad, but I couldn't justify shelling out for it just to learn it.

Henry

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 12:05am »

Hello All,
AutoCAD is a wonderful tool to do just about anything on.  I've designed many different projects in ACAD on very different scales.  I can not say I'm an expert, I haven't a CLUE how to do 3D modeling but I can draw 2D parts all day long.

I started out learning ACAD in High School in 2005.  I started out on R11 (old school 101) with a corded mouse and a computer without internet (we were pretty behind the times at that point for our high school).  Upon competing in a national "TSA" competition in Nashville, I was given a free student copy of ACAD 2008, which I am still using today.

I guess I can point out a few tips to get anyone started with AutoCAD and to get them quickly on their way to being a quick 'drawer':

1.  Don't be afraid to google!  I've learned several tricks from searching online.

2.  Research what you want to draw.  Does the piece involve fillets, chamfers, radi?

3.  LEARN YOU KEY COMMANDS.  I can not express how important this is.  Instead of using the pull down menu's, print yourself a short list of key commands (google for it) and learn them.  You will save yourself tons of time.

4.  If you don't know the key command... try just typing in the word of what command you want to do.  I still type some commands out because I've never learned the hot keys for them.

5.  Don't be scared to mess up.  If you type the wrong thing in, just go "CTRL+Z".  It's not like you have to erase your ink on mylar paper clean!

ACAD can be very helpful and a lot of fun.  There were some math problems in high school I solved using ACAD....this also could be why I didn't do good when it came to the test! HAHA!  If anyone has any questions to ACAD, don't hesitate to ask on here, I think we'll all try to help solve them.  

Save your files often,
Dean

Dean
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 12:06pm »

Moose,
Just to be clear, is this thread about autocad specifically, or about cad software generally? I don't have much to contribute on the former but do on the latter.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14th, 2012, 6:55pm »

on Jun 14th, 2012, 12:06pm, Dan Watson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose,
Just to be clear, is this thread about autocad specifically, or about cad software generally? I don't have much to contribute on the former but do on the latter.

dan:  my apologies for not being a little clearer than mud.  to limit the q&a to just autocad would be asking for a food fight.  the discussion should be about how to approach cad programs in general.  i hope for and appreciate those who can answer specific questions about how to do something with a specific cad platform, but the real work begins with the training of the mind to think in terms of how to describe to a cad program.  moving from the drawing board to the computer monitor has been an eye-opener for me.  in short, i get lost.  yes, it's a tall learning curve, but foremost, it's a new way of looking at shapes.  in the old days, i might create a clay shape  by hand to create a mold for a theatrical piece...great when viewed from 30 feet away, but when moving to parts that are better cast than built up or need to be made in multiples that share the same precision, in pays dividends to be able to hand a cad drawing to a job shop or metal supplier or metalcaster to aid them in efficient use of materials.

so far, learning cad has been like learning a new language...nothing that i learned previously makes sense.  it's all about re-learning how to look and then describe something.  that's what makes this type of discussion most valuable!

as i promised, some of my recent doodlings...they aren't correct, but i'm learning?!

henry:  oops! i didn't realize the screen saves were that large!

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2012, 6:57pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

Steen_Rudberg
Historian
  Revolve.jpg - 6614 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21st, 2012, 11:23am »

Hi Moose

Have you tried to use the Revolve method?  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Revolve.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steen Rudberg
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:27pm »

on Jun 21st, 2012, 11:23am, Steen_Rudberg wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Moose

Have you tried to use the Revolve method?  

steen:  i'll be on the road for the next couple of days...but i'll keep an idea on the board.  as to your question, no, i've not played with 'revolve' yet.  why don't take a common problem like drawing a 10 inch wheel or something of a sort and demonstrate what it can do...and kindda give a little narration about some of the other uses?!  cad programs have a fairly steep learning curve, so any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

to all: as with the other travelers, keep us in your thoughts.

moose

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:57pm »

Moose, you off to Michigan again?

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
Steen_Rudberg
Historian
  hjul.jpg - 22474 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Jun 22nd, 2012, 5:41pm »

Hi Moose

I did a wheel in SolidWorks - and the Revolve method saves you a lot of work.

Sketch.

Finished wheel.

I have tried to remove the picture below by checking "REMOVE Image "hjul.jpg":" but is dose not work....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/hjul.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2012, 2:11pm by Steen_Rudberg » Logged

Steen Rudberg
pockets
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25th, 2012, 11:56am »

on Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:57pm, tomc wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moose, you off to Michigan again?

Tom C.

Tom, Moosey should be on the Clam Lake property sometime this evening, if I can get him out of Kentucky. He'll be here about two weeks.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16th, 2012, 7:16pm »

hi all,

steen:  tried 'revolve'!  the drawing i did isn't as precise as your work, but i proved that i could do it.

...okay teach...just don't ask me how i did it!  i'm still looking over my notes to remember how.

i guess now, that i should learn to duplicate and get ready to make an axle...?!

steen, thanks to you and the others, i think that we can show that cad isn't as hard to learn as many think....yes, my knees are gonna get bloody from climbing this rock mountain of a learning curve, but i'm managing to slow-crawl my way to the starting line.

tom:  it was great to see and visit with you guys at the sr&clry!  thank you for a grand time...hope to make it a pilgrimage every year.  the fellowship and exchange of information....i can't thank y'all enough.  

moose

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 2:53pm »

moose -

I can see that you are getting the hang of it.  
The learning curve is that steep..... or.....

Steen Rudberg
Steam290
Chaser

« Reply #12 on: Aug 25th, 2012, 10:56pm »

Hi all,

AutoCAD - I love it; Then I hate it when I can't do what I think it should. I am not an expert. I started in it back in 1987; release 1.04 if I remember correctly.

I was always a 2D guy. Then I had a desire to build a CB&Q # 7 caboose truck. The thread is posted here. I learned 3D by myself. I read in an early "training" exercise that once you learn 3D you will never go back. I pretty much agree with that; from laying out the new kitchen cabinets, to the caboose truck, and a little work for some vintage Chicago "L" car gates for Bruce Moffat.

To the main reason for my post. Check out http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/
I went down a couple 3D learning paths. Cadtutor to me is hands down the best site I have seen.

When I have some more time, I'll post how I "revolved" my primitives (drawing objects) to a 3D wheel.

Dale Grice

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Jun 1st, 2014, 11:54am »

hi all,

got a love/hate relationship with autocad inventor 2011...got caught up in other projects (beermaking), but now i'm back to ride-on railroading.   in recent months, it came to my attention (longer than that, really...just a short attention span) that if i could produce the drawings needed, i could have the truck sideframes cut out for the ge 23 tonner (or even the imaginary ge 46 ton 4 truck monster) in 3 3/4 scale.

over the last couple of weeks, i've been working on the problem...i've learned to use the copy and mirror functions to shorten the drawing creation time, but when it comes time to 'extrude' into a solid, i'm presented with a litany of problems.  i know that it is my own inexperience with the software and dealing with 3d drawings...too used to pen and paper.

in the next couple of days, i'll post some screen shots of what i'm doing and the problems i'm trying to solve.  laughter is extra, but suggestions are appreciated.

moose

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »