Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 5:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

0-6-0 boiler rebuild.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   0-6-0 boiler rebuild.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: 0-6-0 boiler rebuild.  (Read 2965 times)
ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: 0-6-0 boiler rebuild.
  Pop_off_489x367.jpg - 46043 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

As she built up pressure we started to notice little leaks at fittings which is easy to fix by tightening the fittings. She held pressure and the safeties both lifted. Here you can see a picture with her one safety popping off.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Pop_off_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #81 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:11pm »

As Bobby was testing the hand pump, we noticed that there was water spraying out of the top of the axel pump. I will explain and show pictures later. Don't loose hope Bobby.

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

First_Run_489x367.jpg - 57820 Bytes
« Reply #82 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:14pm »

And the moment of excitement as Bobby backed her down toward the yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/First_Run_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Pete_and_Bobby_489x367.jpg - 56960 Bytes
« Reply #83 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:15pm »

Pete and Bobby looking at the water glass and fire.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Pete_and_Bobby_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #84 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:21pm »

Here is a video of Bobby coming off of the turn table. At this point Bobby was having trouble with the delivery of water into the boiler so he only backed it down so far and then back up onto the steaming bay. Toward the end of the video, you can see that he has blow by coming out of the stack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qshc646P4rM

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #85 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:25pm »

In this video, Bobby heads back to the steaming bay and you can really see the blow by. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4627hBptJL4

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Dollar_Bill_Valve_Gaskit_Left_Side_489x367.jpg - 32519 Bytes
« Reply #86 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:35pm »

At this point, Pete and Ron 2 had to leave to head back to the BCRR, but Bruce and I stayed behind to take a look at why Bobby was having such significant blow by and hardly any power. So we wheeled her into Bob's shop. Once inside, Bruce said let's have a look at the valves and pistons and insisted on taking the head covers off. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would have never believed anyone. We got the first cover off and I got closer and noticed that the gasket appeared to have writing on it. Upon further inspection, I said, "That's a dollar bill!" everyone thought I was joking and Bruce then took a look and said it sure is. So Bobby has dubbed his 0-6-0 "Old Dollar Bill" We said lets look at the other side and sure enough, there was another dollar bill in the side as well for a gasket. So now this is the running joke with this engine.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Dollar_Bill_Valve_Gaskit_Left_Side_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Dollar_Bill_Valve_Gaskit_Right_Side_489x367.jpg - 37164 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:36pm »

Here is the right side.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Dollar_Bill_Valve_Gaskit_Right_Side_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #88 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:51pm »

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the valve. Bruce and Bob pulled the valve out and we found out that Bobby's engine has spool valves. When bruce got the valve out he noticed that the rings were all collapsed and seized up. So he took some Blaster and was able to free them up and get them to expand but brought up a very good point, that as long as we have them out, we should go ahead and replace them with new ones, so later he was on the phone with Mike V. from L.E. ordering some new ones as well as piston rings as I will get to here shortly.

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2013, 4:52pm by ConrailRed9504 » Logged

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Bob_and_Bruce_pulling_left_piston_489x367.jpg - 38496 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:03pm »

Now comes the pistons. Bruce, Unka Bob, Bobby and I decided that, What the hell, we're into it this far, let's pull the pistons. Bob couldn't turn the rod and looking close noticed that someone had driven a TEENY TINY ITSY BITSY roll pin through the cross head and into the rod on the piston. So more fun began as Bob had to fabricate and modify a center punch to knock it out. After finally getting it out, Bruce and Bob got the piston to slide out and as it emerged I said "HOLY CRAP!! there are no rings on that piston!" Bruce said the same thing and said that explains alot about the blow by that was happening. Here is a picture of the right side.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Bob_and_Bruce_pulling_left_piston_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:08pm by ConrailRed9504 » Logged

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Pulling_the_left_piston_489x367.jpg - 29658 Bytes
« Reply #90 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:11pm »

Another picture of Bruce and Bob

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Pulling_the_left_piston_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Piston_489x367.jpg - 27208 Bytes
« Reply #91 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:24pm »

Here is a picture of the piston with no rings. We all sat scratching our heads saying,"WHO WOULD BUILD AN ENGINE AND FORGET TO PUT RINGS ON THE PISTON?!" I said, "The same one that used dollar bills for gaskets!"  
However, Pete did say that they might have used synthetic ones and they just disintegrated and were blown out by the exhaust.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Piston_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Right_Side_Steam_chest_489x367.jpg - 38742 Bytes
« Reply #92 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:26pm »

Here is a picture of the steam chest on the right side.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Right_Side_Steam_chest_489x367.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Axle_Pump.jpg - 134592 Bytes
« Reply #93 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:46pm »

Now, as I said earlier in my posts, the axle pump. Bobby decided to pull the axle pump off and see what was leaking on it. As I said earlier, there was water spraying out of the top of it every time it pumped. Upon pulling it, I put it in a bucket of water and had Bob D. pump it as I held it and plugged the ports and we found 3 pin holes on the top of the pump so Bob it going to fix that. WOW!! what a day! and poor Bruce was so exhausted having entertained our guest from Ill and then not expecting to pull an engine apart. I think Bruce and I spent at least 3 to 3 1/2 hrs at Unka Bob's. I hope you got some rest Bruce. Bobby should have rings by the end of the week and hopefully get the engine back in service. Once again, Don't loose hope Bobby.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (134592 bytes, 1632x1224 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Axle_Pump.jpg - 134592 Bytes

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #94 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 5:48pm »

Well I am POOPED after typing all of that. Please feel free to correct me guys if I misquoted someone or misspoke.  
Russ

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 7:44pm »

Russell thanks for posting that update. I decided today the best thing I could do to lighten my mood was to go shoot people with paintballs! I feel better.

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #96 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 8:11pm »

Hahaha that's funny.

Pennsy4483
Railfan

« Reply #97 on: Jan 13th, 2013, 8:36pm »

Bobby - hang in there!  Sounds like you are in the good hands.  A little more shop time and hopefully be back on the rails.  

Glad to hear that you got some frustration out with a little paint ball.

Don

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 11:10am »

Well guys, as an old live steamer, I feel that the day was a positive. The boiler, which is brandy new, fired beautifully. Made steam easily. drafted really nicely, and the inovative grates worked well. So thats nothing to lament about. Considering how much of the engine has already been apart and put back together.
    BTW, the 'engine' part (cylinders, pistons, spool valves, cylinder heads) have never been apart since Bobby t. has owned this engine. And the stuff that we found, while not nice, is better to correct now than try to run and have to do it latter. And, most of the parts that we looked at are OK. But the new piston rings and new spool vlave rings were needed  to say the least. Other than a little honeing in the cylinder, I think this thing is gonna run like a scaled dog when its back together.
   Oh, that tender looks nice too Bobby.

Russ, that pic of my hands with the piston and rod in them really makes me look like an old man. Boy, do my hands look old!WOW

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 11:16am »

Oh, and something else that I forgot to mention. The damn thing ran onto the turn table, onto the table lead and back. Past the water tank twice. For a first time out, with so much already done to this engine, That ain't too bad!!!!! Bobby, your in the home streach. Even though it may not seem so, you are.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »