Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:18pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

0-6-0 boiler rebuild.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   0-6-0 boiler rebuild.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: 0-6-0 boiler rebuild.  (Read 2950 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: 0-6-0 boiler rebuild.
  002-31.jpg - 125515 Bytes
« Reply #100 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 11:51am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Guys, these are my humble pics of the first light up of Bobby T.'s engine with it's new boiler. and new tender (my pics are not as dramatic as conrailred's pics)  

As is the habit of the hand full of ' real live steamers' here in SW florida, we tend to ' gather together' when one of us is taking an engine out for it's first run. The winter boys plus us regulars were there for this 'birthing'.

Bob Dean and Bobby T. waiting for steam to rise in the new boiler

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/002-31.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  003-27.jpg - 110090 Bytes
« Reply #101 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 11:53am »

Bobby T. giving everything in the cab a good look see.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/003-27.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  004-20.jpg - 119512 Bytes
« Reply #102 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 11:56am »

'steam rising' Russ D (conrailred) to the left taking pics, Bob D., Bobby T., tending the engine, and Pete relaxing over to the right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/004-20.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  006-22.jpg - 105197 Bytes
« Reply #103 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 11:58am »

first time the safety valve has opened on the new boiler. lft. to rit. Bob Dean, Peter B., and Bobby T.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/006-22.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:00pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:08pm »

I'm fully aware that I'm probably boreing a number of 'keyboard pounders' here, but when someone builds or rebuilds a steam locomotive, regardless of size, well, thats something to crow about. These next few pic show this engine, moveing on its own 'steam' after about a years worth of work.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  007-20.jpg - 138358 Bytes
« Reply #105 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:10pm »

first move on it's own steam. off of the steaming bay and onto the turn table/lift.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/007-20.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  008-24.jpg - 132009 Bytes
« Reply #106 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:13pm »

first time Bobby T. pulling he throttle on his 0-6-0. backing off of the now lowered turn table/lift.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/008-24.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  009-23.jpg - 139536 Bytes
« Reply #107 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:16pm »

with his 'tush' on the cush-ion of the new tender that he and Bob D. built, the 0-6-0 is backed off of the turn tale and onto the table /engine lead

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/009-23.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  011-14.jpg - 136443 Bytes
« Reply #108 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:18pm »

Bobby T.backing his 0-6-0 for the first time past the John Cassady, Possum Flats and Eastern RR water tank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/011-14.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:34pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  010-15.jpg - 150158 Bytes
« Reply #109 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:25pm »

my last pic for now. ( I'll bet a number of folks are glad of that)

Bobby T. bringing his switcher back onto the turn table. just in time for his friends to take the cylinders and valves apart, heh,heh,heh.

Its always a thrill for me and I'm sure my other live steam friends here in SW Florida to see another 'live steam locomotive' brought back to life. Good work Bob D. and Bobby.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/010-15.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2013, 12:28pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
Henry
Historian

« Reply #110 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 1:17pm »

Not bored at all, this is good stuff. Amazing how little steam escaped with no piston rings!

Henry

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #111 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 1:35pm »

I don't know if I said this Bobby, but congratulations and welcome to the ranks of coal burners. It was a very successful day.
Russ

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #112 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 9:16pm »

I am humbled and appreciative of all the help and support of all my "steam gentlemen" friends. I could not have gotten this far without all the help.

The big negative of the day: Having all my friends there when things went wrong.

The big positive: Having all my friends there when things went wrong.  

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Jan 14th, 2013, 9:39pm »

on Jan 14th, 2013, 9:16pm, BobbyT wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I am humbled and appreciative of all the help and support of all my "steam gentlemen" friends. I could not have gotten this far without all the help.

The big negative of the day: Having all my friends there when things went wrong.

The big positive: Having all my friends there when things went wrong.  

The negative of the day when things went wrong and your closest friends are there,,,,,,is,,,,,,,,,,, they take your engine apart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then, when everything is apart, your friends find ways to make you spend more money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, to correct what went wrong while all your friends were there.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 11:29am »

on Jan 14th, 2013, 1:17pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not bored at all, this is good stuff. Amazing how little steam escaped with no piston rings!

Henry

Henry, sorry that I did'nt respond to your comment quicker. Thanks for your interest. Seems that neither Russ's pics or mine caught the escaping steam. Yea, with no piston rings at all and siezed valve rings, the poor thing was fightinhg itself. I'm sure the parts that are already on their way will make this 0-6-0 into a completely new engine.  no reason why not!

ConrailRed9504
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #115 on: Jan 18th, 2013, 10:44am »

So Bobby, do you have your engine back together again so that your friends can come and this Sat and take it apart again? HAHAHA All kidding aside, I am looking forward to seeing her run like as Bruce said, "A scalded dog." It was good to see you last weekend.  
Take Care,
Russ

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #116 on: Jan 18th, 2013, 7:10pm »

Russ, the parts arrived yesterday. I plan on installing them tomorrow. Bob made a good point in that since we did not find a gasket on the front cylinder cover, we should remove the rear cover to check for a gasket. Of course that is a very involved process. I'll post updates later.

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

100_1786-2.jpg - 149324 Bytes
« Reply #117 on: Feb 24th, 2013, 11:58pm »

Since I couldn't take a photo of me on my engine I'll post one I took of Justin Koch running it at the unmeet. We had some more original builder surprises but as of right now I have a steam engine! A few timing issues, small leaks and a balky injector to deal with, but that is to be expected. Thanks for following along on this journey.

Bob

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/100_1786-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #118 on: Jan 25th, 2014, 8:20pm »

Time to resurrect this thread for an update!

At the time of the last meet the engine was running...........sort of. It was a bit of a challenge to keep steam pressure up.  

By the end of the meet the timing sounded horrific.  

When I tried to push her into the barn there was a definite binding in the gear.

So over the summer I brought it home and tore it apart. I found that the lubricator had not lubricated. The main shaft was damaged so that the grip bearing didn't grip. Both of the valve bobbins seized in their cylinders and at least one piston.  

With considerable effort and the help of a block of wood and a mallet I got the bobbins out and honed the cylinders.  

The lubricator turned out to be a fun little project, I made a new shaft from drill rod and hardened it. I had to order a new grip bearing which is tiny, but remarkably still easy to get for about $5.00, so I got 2   just in case.

While I had it down I also took the time to address the non functioning brake stand. The original design did not work at all. (the original builder even had the brake steam exhaust into the cab) So I tore it apart and fabricated a new internal part out of brass with a different design.  

A couple weeks ago I hauled the engine to Bob Deans home shop to reinstall the valve bobbins. My engine stand was too short to roll the engine back enough to find TDC. We got the bobbins in and timed as best we could with calipers and scales.

Today I finished installing the rebuilt lubricator and Bob made a new control arm for it.  

Nothing left to do but steam her up. Which I did and then I ran the heck out of it.   I was able to easily maintain 100+ psi around the track. And if a coal novice like me can do it, imagine what a seasoned live steamer can do!

The timing was still off a lot, Bob timed it as best he could but the original builder did not make any provisions for timing.  But it sounds much better....  

The brake stand functions now too.  

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #119 on: Jan 25th, 2014, 8:28pm »

Oh, sorry no pictures, I was too busy playing to take any.  

I do have one issue that needs addressing and that's the throttle. It is very sensitive. Barely crack it and she wants to run! Open it up a lot and she really wants to go and go fast. A lot faster than this old boy cares to go.  

I think this summer I will look into replacing the over-engineered home-built one and go for the more traditional SS ball valve type.  

Or at least I can take it apart and see if I can choke it down some.  

But right now you have t hold it at the position you want or it will snap back if you let go. Which is annoying if you are right handed like me and you want to tend the fire. I tried left handed but......... well, it's not a bad burn and should heal quickly.  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »