Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 4:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

building a 1-1/2" gondola
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   building a 1-1/2" gondola
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: building a 1-1/2" gondola  (Read 1342 times)
Henry
Historian
Re: building a 1-1/2" gondola

« Reply #40 on: Jan 17th, 2014, 11:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 17th, 2014, 10:07am, belmontnyrailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Figured I would give some of the "history" behind my choice of cars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5B13nOlROs

I remember riding this railroad, in that gondola, just barely being able to see over the edge. I took that video a few years ago when I was volunteering for the same railroad. Obviously there are a lot of great memories connected to that gon.

On the return trip, the engine would run around the train and couple onto the gon. The smokebox was right in front of your face! And there was a pretty stiff grade coming out of the station too, so she was working!

I will be modeling the car without the roof (which I helped put on when I was volunteering for the RR) and without the added "walkway" to connect it to the passenger cars...

I rode the A&A almost every summer from when I was a little tyke into my teens. I have ridden it several times since then, including a rare freight trip all the way to North Java. I got a cab ride when I was 11 or 12, can't remember if it was on the 14 or 18. It's been about 20 years since I rode it, I guess it is about time again...

Best of luck with the gon project!

Henry

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »