Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

building a 1-1/2" gondola
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   building a 1-1/2" gondola
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: building a 1-1/2" gondola  (Read 1332 times)
BobbyT
Former Member
Re: building a 1-1/2" gondola

« Reply #20 on: Jan 4th, 2011, 9:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Jon,

Here is the link to a web site called "Steam Era Freight Cars" that you may find useful.

http://www.steamfreightcars.com/gallery/gallerymain.html

They have a couple photo's of "War Emergency" gons.

Bobby

fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #21 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Any progress on this project? I did some work on mine over the last week and now have 1 of the 4 truck ready. My truck choice that I have coming are the new Accucraft Bettendorf trucks. We shall see if the run as good as they look. I have pics but this isn't my thread and dont want to side track it.

Jason

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Mar 27th, 2011, 5:23pm »

I don't yet have the $ to buy my trucks. All my extra money is going into the "replace the pickup truck" fund. I have, however, been sketching out some rough plans. I'll try to get my sketches posted on here soon.

fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #23 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 3:07pm »

I hear you on the truck $. That is what is holding me up at this point. 2 of my gons are ready for trucks but the funds are the hold up.

Jason

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Mar 31st, 2011, 9:51pm »

Jason and Jon,

I figured i'd throw in my three cents here. I'v used, with great success through the years, the Tom Bee trucks. And I really like the steel wheels better than the older type that had cast iron wheels. Plus, I feel that they are reasonably priced. This is not to say that I have not used or am not useing other types and makes of trucks even as I write this post. Because I am.

Not to boast about the BCRR, but take a peek at the video of the steam mega train rolling by. There are about as many makes, models and ages  of trucks in use in that one train than you ever imagine. Some are even home made. And, what is really easy to see, they are all working well.

fresnojay
TRAINing

« Reply #25 on: Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:31am »

The Tom Bee trucks are the ones that come highly recommended from most of the guys I have met at the meets I have attended. I have his site bookmarked for easy access .

What I would really like to do is make my own trucks. But at this point I dont have the tools or machines yet to do it. Plus I am not quite comfortable yet with my knowledge of how things work. Still a bit more to learn on the mechanics of the trucks yet. I am going to try out the new accucraft bents and see how they are. They look decent and the price isn't bad either. Will gladly share my experiences with them once I have them and have run them. Should hopefully have a set in the next month or so.

Jason

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

lastscan.jpg - 19480 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 12:10pm »

just a rough sketch of what i've got in my head

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/lastscan.jpg
Click Image to Resize

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 12:11pm »

wow that font is small!!   let me fix that...

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

lastscan-2.jpg - 45462 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 12:28pm »

this is much better. you can actually read it!  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/lastscan-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 8:56pm »

hi all,

jon:  although you currently are not showing it, i'm presuming that the centersill will resemble a set of fish-belly H-beams.  (for those who dash in and out without looking deeper)  if the plan is to use stock H-beams or T-beams incorporated with the box-tube, to work properly, the beams must barely wrap the box-beam.  if used as jon shows, it must be done as a fish-belly centersill to work properly.  what am i saying?  in the plan that jon is starting to present, if the centersill is built just like the one drawing shows, the car will have a higher center of gravity.  if the box-beam is used as a coupler pocket as many do, it too, will be way too high to mate with any other cars.  jon's sketches are preliminary and not an indication of finished design, just a way of putting his thoughts on paper.  

anywho, jon, you are making progress!  keep it coming...the more info you present, the greater value our experiences will be for you.  for the not too distant future, you are going to want your trucks in-hand before paper becomes steel and you have a welding stinger in your hand.  easier to fix a coupler height problem before ya go arcin' n' sparkin'!

on Apr 19th, 2011, 12:28pm, belmontnyrailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
this is much better. you can actually read it!  

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Apr 19th, 2011, 10:00pm »

yes I plan on having a fishbelly style centerbeam with the 1x2 tubing as the actual structural member. As has been noted, this is just a preliminary sketch- just something to keep my mind going while I wait for the funds for the trucks to become available. No actual metalwork will start until I have the trucks and couplers.

Moose- thanks for commenting. I value your advice.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Jon

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Jul 30th, 2011, 4:39pm »

getting closer... found a car (nice '82 Buick Regal) to replace the truck... well, I'll still drive the truck this winter to save the Buick from the salt. What does this have to do with a gondola, you ask? This means that after the car is paid for I can get a set of trucks and couplers! Watch for things to start happening this fall...

Also downloaded a freeware drafting program. If I can figure out how it works I can make better drawings of the gon.

Jon

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Jan 10th, 2014, 2:15pm »

Bringing this thread, and this project, back from the dead. It's been a busy few years with jewelry, suits, dresses, cake, and more. Yup, I got married! Anyway, a trip to my wife's family over Christmas revealed a private "machine shop" in her uncle's basement and rekindled the fire on this gon project. Too bad we are 8 hours away from her family...

I am officially starting the trucks and couplers fund again... might put a feeler out for someone in the area that has machine tools and see if I can start a friendship... I'm still liking the basic plans I posted earlier...

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Jan 10th, 2014, 8:58pm »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Jan 10th, 2014, 9:18pm »

Thanks!!

Found a few decent pics of the "prototype" gon. Gotta re-draw the plans. Found a good side shot, the car doesn't have a fishbelly center beam, the only thing you can see hanging below the side sills is the brake rigging. That makes things a little easier. The diagonal bracing is also slightly different than what I drew earlier...

I will post new drawings soon...

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

101_2203_824x618.jpg - 48697 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14th, 2014, 8:51am »

Here's the latest rough drawing...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/101_2203_824x618.jpg
Click Image to Resize

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Jan 14th, 2014, 4:43pm »

on Jan 14th, 2014, 8:51am, belmontnyrailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's the latest rough drawing...

looking good!  keep the project moving along and you'll be on the rails with it in no time.

moose

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Jan 17th, 2014, 10:07am »

Figured I would give some of the "history" behind my choice of cars...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5B13nOlROs

I remember riding this railroad, in that gondola, just barely being able to see over the edge. I took that video a few years ago when I was volunteering for the same railroad. Obviously there are a lot of great memories connected to that gon.

On the return trip, the engine would run around the train and couple onto the gon. The smokebox was right in front of your face! And there was a pretty stiff grade coming out of the station too, so she was working!

I will be modeling the car without the roof (which I helped put on when I was volunteering for the RR) and without the added "walkway" to connect it to the passenger cars...

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Jan 17th, 2014, 10:10am »

... although... if I include the walkway, I could eventually build the passenger cars, and then the consolidation...   (dreaming)

belmontnyrailfan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Jan 17th, 2014, 11:07am »

Found a better video that I know you live steamers will appreciate. This is the view from the gon leaving Curriers... enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQObPZrqsng

That is why I love that particular gondola...  

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »