Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 18th, 2017, 10:12pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

N&W 2-6-6-4 "A" 1.6 scale live steam by D. Herring
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: N&W 2-6-6-4 "A" 1.6 scale live steam by D. Herring  (Read 3681 times)
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  HPIM3351.jpg - 66243 Bytes
« on: Jul 19th, 2010, 9:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Guys,

I don't useually start new topics unless there is merrit to them. I do believe this is one that will catch the interest of many here.  

The same man that built the beautiful N&W "J" has now embarked on building an N&W "A". My friend Dunkin Herring has already started the project. My humble pics will show that. I'll explain why the pic are so bad!

But please allow me to back up to the visit to Roanoke, Va. to start this thread off. The real "A" 2-6-6-4 on display.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM3351.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2010, 8:25pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
Re: 1.6 Scale N&W "A" 2-6-6-4
  HPIM3356.jpg - 55144 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 9:48pm »

my friends Ray H. and Dunkin H. getting ready to do a mechanical inspection of the N&W "A".

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM3356.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  HPIM3355.jpg - 61319 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 9:50pm »

Dunkin pointing out some part of the cross head to Ray.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM3355.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  HPIM3357.jpg - 53737 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 9:52pm »

And Ray H. getting a REALLY good look at that wrist pin.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM3357.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 10:01pm »

Now we go to the really poor pics that I took on my way home to Ft. Myers, Fl. and why the pics are so poor.

We all forgot some stuff in my van that was supposed to go to Rock Hill, SC with Dunkin. But all three of us forgot about these things with everything else going on at the museum in Roanoke. So I stopped by Dunkin's house on my way down  I 77 to drop off what was in my van. I knew that he had started on the "A", but I had'nt seen any pics at that time. And, I did'nt know how far along the project is. But Dunkin had already left for the day and was too far away to turn around and meet me.  
   I took the next few pics through the back door of his machine shop. through glass panes in the door.

« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2010, 6:23am by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  HPIM3383.jpg - 36946 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 10:04pm »

these are my poor pictures taken through glass panes in a shop door.

chasis of 1.6 scale N&W 2-6-6-4 on erecting stand.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM3383.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  HPIM3384.jpg - 38212 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 10:08pm »

chasis with two cylinder blocks setting in place. to the right, on a work bench, can be seen twelve machined drive wheels. not in the pics are the axles. Dunkin has told me they also were completed just before the trip to Roanoke.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/HPIM3384.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2010, 10:13pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 10:19pm »

Folks,

This thread may start out slow due to the lack of photos. It probably will go in fits and starts. I'll update this thread with info when its available.  

But one thing for sure. When this guy, Dunkin Herring decides to build a classic engine in live steam scale, he goes right at it, full throttle.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2010, 10:44pm »

At last! Thanks, Bruce.

Duncan,
God speed on what I'm sure will be another beautiful engine from your hands.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Slipped_Eccentric
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:01am »

WOW!  I can't wait to see this up and running.

Expatriate Floridian in Pennsylvania.
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23rd, 2010, 2:56pm »

Greg, Justin,

Both of you guys have seen ,and in some cases, run the engines made by this artist. Even though a few in our hobby knit-picked Dunkin's N&W "J" to pieces, I have'nt yet seen thiers!!!

Dunkin and I have had many late night "mechanical conversations" about this latest endeavor of his. He is the kind of guy that will listen and wiegh out another mechanics ideas on how to approach a particular problem.

So, yes guys, this N&W "A" project, I'm sure, will end up looking just as good as his "J" and running as good as it looks to boot. Just like the "J".

moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re:  N&W 2-6-6-4 "A" 1.6 scale live steam by D. Herring

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25th, 2010, 5:10pm »

hi all,

bruce r:  when the 'j' was finished and i got a chance to see it...what a thrill!   now with the 'a' coming into being...HOLY CRACKERS BATMAN!!  i know duncan as an accomplished designer/mechanic/machinist, so anything he wants to build will be spectacular.  the 'a' will be built to his liking and specifications.  in other words, it work function and steam well, just as planned.  let the others say that!

one day, when both engines are in attendance, i'd like to be photographed with them...just to prove i was there!  give duncan our best...can't wait!!!!!

moose

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jul 31st, 2010, 6:16am »

Guys,

Just a little info on this project. By what I've been told, Dunkin's job shop/machine shop has gotten REALLY busy, thankfully. So the "A" has had to be put on the back burner for right now. As many of us here that have been in business at one time or another knows, if one does not pay attention to regular business, there won't be much financing left for anything else when the spare time comes back.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Jul 31st, 2010, 8:41am »

TOTALLY understood, Bruce. Thanks for the update. It's good to hear that his business is picking up.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Aug 1st, 2010, 8:28am »

Hey Greg,

I knew that you of most folks here would understand the meaning behind my comments about business.  
   AND, BTW, last night, Sat. July 31, of all people to call me, it was none other than Dunkin Herring himself. He did explain to me that he is catching up on his promised jobs. He also told me that he thinks within the next few days, he should have the crank pins pressed into all of those wheels that appear in my very poor pictures of his "A" chasis. Plus, he thinks that he can press the wheel assemblies onto the axles. The axles have already been machined for a while.
   More info on this very interesting project when I receive it. Ha,ha, ha, I may just have to make a quick trip up to Rock Hill, SC to get more pics of this thing coming together.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Aug 1st, 2010, 3:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Aug 1st, 2010, 8:28am, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ha,ha, ha, I may just have to make a quick trip up to Rock Hill, SC to get more pics of this thing coming together.

The sacrifices you do for us, lol

pockets
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Aug 1st, 2010, 7:47pm »

Yeah, he's all heart, ain't he, Bobby? .....but, if that's the only way we can get more pics and some specs (are those cylinders cast or fabricated?)......

Greg B.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Aug 2nd, 2010, 9:11pm »

Greg,

If my old memory servs me right, I think Dunkin told be they are cast blocks. But I think he did do the valve and possibly the cylinder sleeves.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 7:37pm »

Guys,

A little new news about this project of our dear freind's. A little bird (steamheaton) told me today that the journal boxes are finished. Plus the wheels have been pressed onto the axles also.  

OH, and Dunkin had a visitor from Fl. today too. Don G.(Pennsy) from the Jacksonville area visited Dunkin's facility. By what I was told, he took a "cabootle" of pictures. OK Don, lets see some of those new pics.

Pennsy4483
Railfan
  DSC_0409.jpg - 88922 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Aug 19th, 2010, 10:09pm »

Bruce (and others), yes it is true that we made a pit stop at Duncan's.  He was most hospitable, as well as eager to share his knowledge and progress on his latest project.  To see the "A" in person was a true joy.  While there, my children and I also had the pleasure of taking a trip around his railroad behind a couple of really nice diesels (built by none other than Duncan).  Duncan was the official MoW two legged crew, while his father engineered us around.  We had a great time.  Now for some photos of the "A".

Don G.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/DSC_0409.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »