Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 10:46am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!  (Read 2964 times)
Steen_Rudberg
Historian
Re: CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!
  bremsesko.jpg - 46445 Bytes
« Reply #80 on: Feb 3rd, 2014, 5:46am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi

Do you have any measures on the break shoe?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/bremsesko.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steen Rudberg
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
Steam290
Chaser

« Reply #81 on: Feb 12th, 2014, 6:17pm »

Are you talking about the 1.5" scale ones I got from Railroad Warehouse?

The hole goes through at an angle of 10 degrees. From the edge of the hole to the back on the outside it is 0.224. Inside is 0.268.

Dale

Steam290
Chaser

« Reply #82 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 9:47am »

Can't even read my own notes. Hole angle is 17 degrees.

Steam290
Chaser
  Model.jpg - 74748 Bytes
« Reply #83 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 10:37am »

I've been working on the brake design. I have railroad warehouse Andrew truck brake heads/shoes that I am going to use. Here's the latest design. I have the brake hangers and brake beam constructed.

I've been thinking about suspending a Clippard air cylinder below the truck attached to the two brake beams and pulling the brake beams together. I haven't determined if I have enough room. Anyone want to express an opinion on best Clippard cylinder for the application?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Model.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2014, 11:55am by Steam290 » Logged
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

brakestuff.jpg - 91786 Bytes
« Reply #84 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 10:49pm »

Hi, I am using Airtrac(very similar to Clippard) 3/4" bore 1" stroke. One on each truck for the brake van, and one central unit with rods for the cattle cars.
With respect, you have very accurate trucks, and a cylinder even on top of the bolster would be hard to hide.
What did the original have?
Pete

btw Air cylinders push, not pull, so you'll need some pivots too. (or change to vacuum.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/brakestuff.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2014, 10:53pm by fred_55 » Logged

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
Steam290
Chaser

« Reply #85 on: Feb 17th, 2014, 11:47am »

The prototype had the brake cylinder mounted on the body with brake linkage to the trucks. Thought I might get lazy and try to put cylinders on the trucks to start with. Less work. And I was also thinking that the only way the air cylinder would work was to push or extend. Unless I wanted to get really fancy and try double acting. Thanks for the input. Bouncing different things around.

Dale

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #86 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 2:47am »

Sorry Dale, getting lazy just doesn't cut it  Do the body mounted cylinder and linkage (then you can do the handbrake too .)
 I know someone who has K brake cylinders to hide the uglies   You might be able to bore one out and fit the Clippard cylinder inside.
Pete

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
Steam290
Chaser
  Brake_beam_post_v16_-_scaled_1_6-Model.jpg - 36845 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 8:18pm »

Yeah Yeah Yeah. I'm a stickler for details. I am sure I am going to end up as you suggest. Already have a drawing for the truck brake beam levers. And I put together a drawing for the brake beam king post. So you see, while I want to shortcut, I'll probably do it right.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Brake_beam_post_v16_-_scaled_1_6-Model.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam290
Chaser
  IMG_20140417_183227_801_resized.jpg - 144695 Bytes
« Reply #88 on: Apr 24th, 2014, 1:00pm »

So here's my brake beam king post assembled with Railroad Warehouse brake heads/shoes. One small problem - I didn't "mirror" the brake beam king posts. So one slants clockwise and the other counterclockwise DOH!!

It's also quite a surprise how bowed the brake beam can become by tightening the nuts on the end of the truss rod. Think I almost broke my first one.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_20140417_183227_801_resized.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2014, 1:01pm by Steam290 » Logged
Steam290
Chaser
  IMG_20140417_185449_700_rescaled.jpg - 77020 Bytes
« Reply #89 on: Apr 24th, 2014, 8:34pm »

Took a trip to Harrisburg, PA for the Cabin Fever Expo. Stayed at the Bridgeview Bed & Breakfast. If you don't know about it and you are a railfan - you need to check it out. www.bridgeviewbnb.com No affiliation - just a happy customer. However, a little bit better breakfast would be nice.

Anyway, at the Expo, Howard Gorin, http://www.themachineryworks.com, had a table set up. And lo and behold - the brakeheads that I was really looking for were to be had. And a few other goodies. Again, no affiliation. Howard's brake beam king posts were not going to fit my "new" as it should be design. But I had to have a pair just to look them over.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/IMG_20140417_185449_700_rescaled.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2014, 9:25pm by Steam290 » Logged
Steam290
Chaser
  20150306_172214826_HDR_resized.jpg - 125339 Bytes
« Reply #90 on: Mar 14th, 2015, 9:50am »

Can't believe it's been almost a year since my last update.  

Second run of castings has been done. Found a less expensive foundry, CA Brown up in the Northeast. Unfortunately, they were unable to use my molds. Seems the original foundry did it their own way and did not follow the process of using a wax injection process that other foundries use.

Finally drew up a journal box lid. Used Shapeways to print them out in plastic. Forgot to allow for the "ear" of the journal box. DOH. Had to mill out the back side. And also found that my design of the journal box from the car builder's cyclopedia had a couple projections on the front that I had to mill off. Had I drawn up the journal box lid early, I would have found that issue.

So here's a pic.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (125339 bytes, 1000x563 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 20150306_172214826_HDR_resized.jpg - 125339 Bytes

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Mar 31st, 2015, 3:24pm »

on Mar 14th, 2015, 9:50am, Steam290 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Can't believe it's been almost a year since my last update.  

Second run of castings has been done. Found a less expensive foundry, CA Brown up in the Northeast. Unfortunately, they were unable to use my molds. Seems the original foundry did it their own way and did not follow the process of using a wax injection process that other foundries use.

Finally drew up a journal box lid. Used Shapeways to print them out in plastic. Forgot to allow for the "ear" of the journal box. DOH. Had to mill out the back side. And also found that my design of the journal box from the car builder's cyclopedia had a couple projections on the front that I had to mill off. Had I drawn up the journal box lid early, I would have found that issue.

So here's a pic.

COOL!  you already know I want them...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »