Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 1:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!  (Read 2975 times)
Steam290
Chaser
Re: CBQ/Burlington #7 Wood Beam Trucks!
  assembly_-_scaled_1_6_-_ver_114_Journal_Box_1.jpg - 136854 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Jul 21st, 2010, 5:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I don't know why I have such a hard time with photos.  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (136854 bytes, 2550x1672 pixels)

Click Here to View Image assembly_-_scaled_1_6_-_ver_114_Journal_Box_1.jpg - 136854 Bytes

Steam290
Chaser
  assembly_-_scaled_1_6_-_ver_114_Journal_Box_640x.jpg - 22384 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Jul 21st, 2010, 6:00pm »

One more time, I saved my rescaled photo in the wrong spot and loaded the full res instead.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/assembly_-_scaled_1_6_-_ver_114_Journal_Box_640x.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam290
Chaser
  assembly_-_scaled_1_6_-_ver_118_Model_640x.jpg - 14669 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 9:13pm »

On a personal note: I lost a dear friend this past week. Some of you my now the name or even know him. William J Purdie, passed away Thur night @ 8:25 PM I learned a lot from him and am sorry to see him go. He was a wonderful man and was as tenacious, kind, and humorous as any that I have known. Rest in peace my friend.  

Earlier this year I went to a D2P (design to part) show. Quite interesting. I found vendors that would do a SLA (some type of resin or plastic) prototype out of a 3D drawing. While tempted to do this, why shoulder the cost. My 3D drawings are sufficient to resolve interference or clearance issues. At least in theory.   So I am back to material selection. I am keen to get the pedestal and journal boxes cast. Material selection I think is critical for more than the obvious reason. There is a shrinkage factor that I need to account for. Easy to have AutoCAD rescale by some percentage. So I need to get from 3D to part.  

I'll start contacting casting companies. I also ran across a mechanical engineer that has been involved in material selection. It may be time to talk to him.

At the Museum we have a steam locomotive, A&WP 290 that I am very familiar with the shoes and wedges. As I recall, when we have discussed replacing the shoes and wedges, the shoes were to be steel and the wedges silicon bronze. Steel pedestals are probably overkill. So I am thinking gray cast iron for the pedestals and silicon bronze for the journal boxes if the economics work out.

Anyone want to weigh in? What is economic vs. the trouble of casting?

Here's where I am with the design of the truck so far.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/assembly_-_scaled_1_6_-_ver_118_Model_640x.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010, 9:13pm by Steam290 » Logged
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 10:12pm »

hi dale,

goin' ta bed, but had to say keep it up!  will be in touch shortly!

moose

Steam290
Chaser
  20100826n-025_Q_7_Truck_Model_640_x_x.jpg - 30247 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27th, 2010, 5:38pm »

I continue to make progress. Here's the latest.

I have been talking with several casting companies. So far I am getting nowhere. I think my volume is so small that no one is interested. But I keep trying. It's off to send dwgs and pdfs to the next company.

Anyone in the Atlanta area doing any casting??

Dale

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/20100826n-025_Q_7_Truck_Model_640_x_x.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam290
Chaser
  20100826n-025_Q_7_Truck_Model_640_x_x.jpg - 30247 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Aug 27th, 2010, 5:43pm »

Trying to post the pic again.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/20100826n-025_Q_7_Truck_Model_640_x_x.jpg
Click Image to Resize

dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Aug 27th, 2010, 9:25pm »

Hey there,
You have a great project going and I like your drawings.  

As far as castings, try contacting a shop department at a local high school and offer a donation to the department.  The school may just take you up on the project as well as they may have a club involved.  You most likely will have to supply the materials as well as molds.

Just an idea...
Keep going, I like watching projects...

Dean

Dean
Steam290
Chaser
  201108192N-006_7_TRUCK_RPS_RESCALED.jpg - 20542 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Oct 21st, 2011, 1:32pm »

The project has been moving forward - slowly.  

Back surgery, Kitchen rebuild, Bridgeport mill purchase (with subsequent disassembly, cleaning, moving, parts replacements and not assembled yet), and a myriad of other tasks get in the way.

I have some rapid prototype "printed" parts from my drawings; a pedestal and journal box. I found Brad Blum in California and Inferno Art outside of Atlanta that will do lost wax silicon bronze castings.  

My pedestal rp has a couple minor problems. I new one is being printed and I hope to have it very soon. I will then run the pedestal and journal box down to Inferno Art and see about getting some real parts in my hands.

I don't know if I want to cast one each in order to keep costs low to see how it all works out, or go for 4 each for one truck. guess it will be a last minute decision when we get down to dollars and cents.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/201108192N-006_7_TRUCK_RPS_RESCALED.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam290
Chaser
  201108192N-004_7_TRUCK_RPS_RESCALED.jpg - 22721 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Oct 21st, 2011, 1:33pm »

Here's the pedestal.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/201108192N-004_7_TRUCK_RPS_RESCALED.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam290
Chaser
  201108192N-004_7_TRUCK_RPS_RESCALED.jpg - 22721 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Oct 21st, 2011, 1:35pm »

Once again.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/201108192N-004_7_TRUCK_RPS_RESCALED.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dick_Morris
Former Member

« Reply #30 on: Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:22am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Glad to see you making progress. Those are going to be some good looking trucks.

Steam290
Chaser
  2012-06-03_18-19-54_39-reduced.jpg - 68916 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Jun 4th, 2012, 1:10pm »

My first run of castings was picked up last week. They are of Silicon Bronze using the lost wax process. I have 4 each of the pedestals and boxes. Now off to cleaning them up and checking dimensions to make sure I haven't screwed up on shrinkage and have sufficient material for machining.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (68916 bytes, 1100x825 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 2012-06-03_18-19-54_39-reduced.jpg - 68916 Bytes

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2012, 1:13pm by Steam290 » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Jun 5th, 2012, 2:55pm »

Dale,

That looks really good. Nice work on developing the pattern. Thanks to both you and George for letting us share this project.

Bruce R.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Jun 5th, 2012, 6:41pm »

on Jun 4th, 2012, 1:10pm, Steam290 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My first run of castings was picked up last week. They are of Silicon Bronze using the lost wax process. I have 4 each of the pedestals and boxes. Now off to cleaning them up and checking dimensions to make sure I haven't screwed up on shrinkage and have sufficient material for machining.

dale:  they look great!  ...and ya know i still want a set!  i maybe winding down the number of cars i build in 1.6 scale, but your progress has re-awaken the desire to do the cbq drovers car.  the cbq car will probably be the last one...12 cabs in all.  having '12' in the car number gives me an idea!

keep up the good work on the trucks and posting with pics from autocad...you've inspired the creation of a new thread in the not too distant time ahead.

moose

Steam290
Chaser
  2012-08-06_08-40-13_851-_smaller.jpg - 43390 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Aug 7th, 2012, 12:32pm »

Thanks for all the kind words.  

Project is moving along. The shrinkage on the castings was right on. the pedestals and boxes have been machined and I screwed up one box. I bored it oversize. I an going to fix it with a cylindrical liner. For this phase of the project, that will suffice.  

Picture shows assembly so far. I searched around for square nuts. Found and ordered some from various places. And you know what? They're all grossly oversize. I am dusting off my little unimat and figure I am going to make my own. And you can't get miniature square head bolts. But you can get all thread and with homemade miniature square nuts, I can solder a nut to a chunk of all thread. I am tooling up the unimat.

Since the shrinkage ame out great on the pedstal and jouranl box, I have ordered patterns for for various other castings I have drawn. I anxiously await those so I can get them to the foundry.  

Axles are roughed out and I have some 5" steel disks for wheels. So I am making parts and plugging away.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/2012-08-06_08-40-13_851-_smaller.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2012, 12:36pm by Steam290 » Logged
ncbqguy
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Aug 30th, 2012, 11:44pm »

For anyone not intimately familiar with CB&Q Waycar No.7 Trucks....
....Dale's 3D CAD work, Rapid Prototyped Masters, and the execution are spot on!!!!  
I guess I picked a great time to begin my Live Steam Odyssey….hopefully soon I’ll be able to build a 28’ three window waycar as my first 71/2” gauge project~
Charlie Vlk
Mt. Juliet, TN

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Sep 1st, 2012, 4:45pm »

on Aug 30th, 2012, 11:44pm, ncbqguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
For anyone not intimately familiar with CB&Q Waycar No.7 Trucks....
....Dale's 3D CAD work, Rapid Prototyped Masters, and the execution are spot on!!!!  
I guess I picked a great time to begin my Live Steam Odyssey….hopefully soon I’ll be able to build a 28’ three window waycar as my first 71/2” gauge project~
Charlie Vlk
Mt. Juliet, TN

first of all, charlie, welcome to the railfan live steam board!  your willingness to share with others through out your previous hobby life is part of the energy that we share here.  thank you for that!  what the others don't know is that over a period of years, dale and i have communicated with you about our individual projects concerning cbq rollingstock.  while i don't want to take away dale's thunder, i think i can safely say that we've been astounded at the quality of data that you've turned up for us.  we at railfan.net live steam board, very much want to be a part of your live steam journey.  in time, you will become a very important part of ours.  Welcome Aboard!!

to all:  a few years back, dale and i expressed interest in building some rollingstock that while different, would use the same truck-type.  dale's project as shown in this thread, is the first stepping stone towards that goal.  while many know that i'm slowly moving to the larger scales, there are still about 8 or 9 projects in 1.6 scale that i've been dreaming of that i want to complete over the course of my journey in the hobby.  for me, it's been to build a model of the cbq's drover's caboose.   for dale?  that's dale's dream to announce!  and now...maybe charlie might have an idea for something to build....?!

so, i hope that at sometime in the future...perhaps at an unmeet, there would be the meeting of 3 pieces of cbq equipment to display and run using dale's wonderful trucks!

what will my project be?

now, let's return to dale's thread so he can get on with the build!

moose

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2012, 5:03pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Sep 5th, 2012, 9:45pm »

Charley,  
Welcome aboard. Your reputation as a researcher and archivist preceeds you, via ol' Moose Droppin's.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #38 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 10:30am »

Charlie, that is going to be some nice truck when you get it done.  Keep the posts coming!

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
ncbqguy
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Sep 6th, 2012, 11:13pm »

Tom-
Forst pf all, the No.7 truck isn't my work...Dale Grice is doing it.  I only hope to be able to get parts from him when he's finished building the first pair so I can build a CB&Q Waycar myself.
George-
Thank you for the kind words.   I am anxious to get started on my railroad but have the little detail of getting a house built first.
A point of order. The CW-7 you picture is not a Drovers Car.   The CB&Q had cars designated as Drovers Cars but they were either regular waycars fitted out with more bunks or old coaches just in that service.  The Combination Waycar (CW) were built for Branchline Service from old combines to serve as passenger car, baggage car and waycar.   They also had some 30' Waycars that had side doors and seats added for the same service.   Note that the CW-7s had No.2 trucks which used the same pedestals and design as the No.7 that Dale is building but with a longer wheelbase.  I have drawings for those as well as the six wheel passenger car derivation that could be built from Dale's parts when it comes to that.  

Going down to Dunlap this Saturday to get a Live Steam fix!!

Charlie Vlk
Mt. Juliet, TN

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »