Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 1:27pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 27/10/15
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 27/10/15
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 27/10/15  (Read 1835 times)
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 25/3/11

« Reply #40 on: Oct 21st, 2011, 5:21am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Dave, If youre sending that loco up here to sunny Queensland, you'd better include some sunglasses, or the new owner will go blind
Might get to see it at my track one day.
Great progress, nothing like a few hours with some serious machinery to make a difference.
Pete

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #41 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 7:11pm »

..... Yes it is a bit on the bright side isn't it! The shine will dull down with a little time though! Never know, you might get a vist from it one day. It's new home will be the Brisbane Bayside Steamers.

Dave.

Visit the Boulder Creek Tramway at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 7:51pm »

on Oct 27th, 2011, 7:11pm, Boulder Creek wrote:       (Click here for original message)
    ..... Yes it is a bit on the bright side isn't it! The shine will dull down with a little time though! Never know, you might get a vist from it one day. It's new home will be the Brisbane Bayside Steamers.

Dave.

dave:  you don't kid around...i had to wear 'shades' just to read your posts!

keep up the good work!

moose

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

jenbach_pic_1.jpg - 56118 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Nov 8th, 2011, 4:07pm »

G'day Guys,

I thought a photo of the three locos together would be of interest. The third loco to be finished (the middle one with the red and white striped buffer beams) is the one for sale.  See: Jenbach Loco

Regards,
Dave.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/jenbach_pic_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

turntable_pic.jpg - 75459 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Dec 18th, 2011, 7:27pm »

G’day All,

It’s been a while since the last update on the Boulder Creek website but the latest update has now been done.
There have been quite a few changes this time with some new gallery pages on the Boulder Creek bum trucks and some new pictures in the Malcolm Moore loco and Jenbach loco galleries.  
There have also been some extra pictures placed in the “phase 2 gallery” and some pictures of the latest earth works in the “phase 3 gallery”.

An updated track plan has been added showing what will be the final layout of the Boulder Creek Tramway. There won’t be any further additions to this as this will take up virtually our entire block of land. As shown, the total amount of track will be approximately 1100 metres with a full lap being approximately 1600 metres.
At the moment, the track is complete from the reversing wye to the top reversing loop and the new earthworks are complete from the reversing wye down to where the trestle bridge will be situated. This is to be the next project and will feature steel trestles supporting a timber deck which will span 18 metres.

Other new additions include a video on the home page of a trip around the track as it is at this point in construction and a couple of videos taken at the recent “Tassie Two Tracks” event at ELRSS and NWMES. These can be seen in the “Tassie Two Tracks” gallery page.
The home page and about page have also been updated with some additional info outlining the work to date and the future plans.
Since the last update I have been working away on finishing off the 2nd and third Jenbach locos which are now complete. One of them has been sold already and the last one is now for sale. There are some pictures of the new locos in the Jenbach gallery including a video of the first loco sold running at its new home track in Brisbane.

I have also been working on some new bum trucks, the first of which can be seen in the “Locos and Rolling stock” gallery along with some new pictures of the second two Jenbach locos. There is also a picture of my next project, a 1/3rd scale E.M. Baldwin cane loco which I have started collecting parts for. This will be powered by a 25hp V twin engine driving two large alternators which will power two 24 volt traction motors. Keep an eye on the website for pictures as I progress with the construction of this loco.

The turntable is another project which has been underway recently and is coming along well. Only the brickwork surrounding the turntable is required now before the tracks into the storage container can be laid (and I can have my workshop back!!!) Some pictures of this will be added to the website after the brickwork is complete but below is one taken just after fitting the timber deck last week.

Once again, a huge thanks to everyone who has helped out with the Boulder Creek Tramway.

Regards,
Dave.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/turntable_pic.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 19/12/11

« Reply #45 on: Mar 27th, 2012, 7:48am »

G`day All,

Another update has been completed on the Boulder Creek Tramway website, this time with about 20 new photos (in the phase 3 gallery page) showing the recent progress on the new section and the turntable construction.

The new section continues on from the reversing wye siding for about 110 metres where it reaches the upper bridge abutment where the trestle bridge will be located. The trestle bridge will most likely be the next major project and will feature five steel trestles supporting a timber deck. The trestle bridge will span 18 metres and will be a curved bridge on a 1 in 40 gradient.
The formation for the section below the trestle bridge has also been started and will be another section of 1 in 30 grade track.

The new photos also show the construction of the turntable which is 4.2 metres long and able to cope with the heaviest of locos. It pivots on a 2 ½” diameter chrome steel ball housed in a spherical machined aluminium top bearing cap. This is fitted with an “O” ring and a grease nipple and one pump of grease is enough to lift the turntable very slightly meaning the turntable is effectively floating on grease. The outer stabilizing wheels are clear of the circular running rail by about 1mm. This is a similar principle to the full size turntables I worked on while working on the Abt railway.

Also, a revised edition of the article I wrote on using alternators to power traction motors now replaces the original. This has been completely re-written and now includes quite a bit more information and also includes several new wiring diagrams and some new pictures. Its well worth a read for anyone considering a petrol/diesel electric loco and can be found under the “Construction” tab in the main menu.

As always, a huge thanks goes out to all of my trusty helpers for their work on the earthworks, track construction, and the website.

Regards,
Dave.

Boulder Creek Tramway.

www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #46 on: Mar 27th, 2012, 7:48am »

G`day All,

Another update has been completed on the Boulder Creek Tramway website, this time with about 20 new photos (in the phase 3 gallery page) showing the recent progress on the new section and the turntable construction.

The new section continues on from the reversing wye siding for about 110 metres where it reaches the upper bridge abutment where the trestle bridge will be located. The trestle bridge will most likely be the next major project and will feature five steel trestles supporting a timber deck. The trestle bridge will span 18 metres and will be a curved bridge on a 1 in 40 gradient.
The formation for the section below the trestle bridge has also been started and will be another section of 1 in 30 grade track.

The new photos also show the construction of the turntable which is 4.2 metres long and able to cope with the heaviest of locos. It pivots on a 2 ½” diameter chrome steel ball housed in a spherical machined aluminium top bearing cap. This is fitted with an “O” ring and a grease nipple and one pump of grease is enough to lift the turntable very slightly meaning the turntable is effectively floating on grease. The outer stabilizing wheels are clear of the circular running rail by about 1mm. This is a similar principle to the full size turntables I worked on while working on the Abt railway.

Also, a revised edition of the article I wrote on using alternators to power traction motors now replaces the original. This has been completely re-written and now includes quite a bit more information and also includes several new wiring diagrams and some new pictures. Its well worth a read for anyone considering a petrol/diesel electric loco and can be found under the “Construction” tab in the main menu.

As always, a huge thanks goes out to all of my trusty helpers for their work on the earthworks, track construction, and the website.

Regards,
Dave.

Boulder Creek Tramway.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Mar 29th, 2012, 4:10pm »

hi dave,

the boulder creek tram is looking great!  keep'em comin'.  great info for the 'hybrid' types.

one day, a conjunction of retirement, money, and swmbo's approval to travel below the equator will allow me to visit our friends down-under.  until that day, we'll continue to hoist a cold one for the friends who can't be with us.  i'm almost officially 9 years from retirement...watch  out!

moose

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #48 on: Mar 31st, 2012, 7:43pm »

Thanks Moose,

Just let me know when you are heading over!!!

Another update has now been completed on the Boulder Creek website, this time with about 20 new photos (in the phase 3 gallery page) showing the recent progress on the new section and the turntable construction.

Regards,
Dave.

Boulder Creek Tramway.

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 1/4/12
  BB_Wagon.jpg - 182590 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 3:24pm »

G'day Guys,

I've been pretty quiet around here lately and haven't updated my website for quite a while either but things have been progressing!
I have recently completed the track down to the turntable and have a Youtube video of the first train being turned. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cseQLDy7M8g
I've also completed a couple of 1/3rd scale wagons and a stack of bogies.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/BB_Wagon.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

EMB_1.jpg - 149545 Bytes
« Reply #50 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 3:45pm »

As well as the wagons and bogies, I've also made a start on my new loco which is a 1/3rd scale 2' gauge sugar cane loco. This is quite a big loco measuring 2036mm (80") long x 606mm (24") wide x 1005mm (39.5") high. I have calculated the finished weight to be approximately 850Kg!!!
Like my other locos it will be powered by a petrol engine driving modified alternators which in turn will drive the electric traction motors.
I will be fitting a small car engine to drive the twin 270 amp alternators in this loco due to the size of them.
To get some idea of the size and weight of this beast, have a look at the rear plate in the photo below.
This is a piece of 40mm (1" 9/16) plate measuring 606mm (24") wide x 315mm (12" 1/2) high!!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/EMB_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2012, 4:03pm by Boulder Creek » Logged

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

EMB_2.jpg - 157264 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 3:45pm »

Another shot with the radiator in place.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/EMB_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

Bridge_1.jpg - 157651 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 3:52pm »

Out on the track I've finally made a start on the trestle bridge. the total span of this is almost 19 metres (62 feet) and at it's highest point is around 2.2 metres (7.2 feet) high. The steel trestles will support a timber deck which I hope to get built over Christmas.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Bridge_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

Bridge_2.jpg - 172923 Bytes
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 4:00pm »

Compare the photo above and the one below to get some idea of the distance travelled and the height of the elevation on the Boulder Creek Tramway.
The photo below is taken standing at the corner of my workshop looking down over the turntable to the new trestle bridge. In the photo above, the turntable can just be seen to the left of the green shipping container with the workshop behind the embankment above it. The difference in elevation here is around 10 metres (33 feet).

I will have a heap of new photos up on the website in the next few days so keep an eye on the progress at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek

Regards,
Dave.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Bridge_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 4:00pm »

Hi Dave,

,Good to see you hangin in there. Man, I really like the real gas-electric system for the loco. Yea, thats quite a beast of an engine. AND, the threstle looks like its going to something else when finished.thanks for shareing with us. We missed you.

Bruce R. (Buckingham Central RR)

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #55 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 4:23pm »

Thanks Bruce,

If you are interested, I have an article under the "construction" menu on my website on how I modify and control the alternators/traction motors. I also have a couple of wiring diagrams there to show what I have done. It really is a very simple system and works extremely well. The control is as good and as smooth as an electric loco with a very sophisticated electronic control.
See: http://www.smex.net.au/Bouldercreek/BldrCrk-Construction.php

Regards,
Dave.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #56 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 9:39am »

Hi Dave,  That will be a real stump puller when she is done.  Where do u get 270 amp alternators and what do they cost if I am not to nosey with that question.  I like what you are doing.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #57 on: Dec 29th, 2012, 4:21pm »

G'day All,

The update on the Boulder Creek website is now live and features a short video of the completed turntable in action as well as plenty of photos of my new loco, the carriages I built recently, and the progress on the trestle bridge, so have a look at: www.smex.net.au/bouldercreek

Tom, I buy all of my alternators from a guy in America. He sells on ebay but I deal with him directly these days. He is very helpful and his prices are good. PM me if you want his contact details.
The 270 amp alternators are around US$400 - US$500 each depending on current pricing. Be careful if looking to buy on ebay though as there are many listings for 270 amp alternators. Many of them are listed as replacement alternators for Ford "F" truck / Dodge Ram / Chev type pick up trucks. These are 270 amp peak output, not 270 amp continuous output like the ones I have. "Leese Neville" replacements are the ones to look for if a continuous high output is required.  

Regards,
Dave.

« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2012, 4:25pm by Boulder Creek » Logged

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 17/5/13

« Reply #58 on: May 16th, 2013, 7:15pm »

G’day All,

Another update on the Boulder Creek Tramway website has been completed with some new photos of the trestle bridge and the recent earthworks on the formation beyond the bridge. The past 12 months or so has been relatively slow as far as the track progress but now that the bridge is complete I hope to get things underway again.

There are some new photos of my E.M. Baldwin cane loco which is progressing well at the moment with the engine fitted and the body work semi complete. I have just made a start on the bogies and hope to have it on the rails fairly soon.  

A new “Clyde Locomotive” page has been added to the “Locos gallery” which will show the construction progress of three new Clyde locos. I will be machining all the parts for three of them and building one for myself.

Boulder Creek
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Boulder Creek Tramway - Updated 17/5/13

« Reply #59 on: Feb 18th, 2014, 7:02pm »

A long time since an update on my website but for anyone interested, my 1/3rd scale EM Baldwin cane loco is progressing well. I have a build up page on my website with a number of progress photos (soon to be updated with quite a few more) as well as a couple of YouTube links below.

See: http://www.smex.net.au/Bouldercreek/BldrCrk-Gallery_Baldwin.php

The loco is powered by a Toyota Starlet engine driving two large alternators which are modified to drive two electric traction motors.
As seen in the links below, it weighs 765kgs and in the bottom video is hauling just under 2500kgs. It hauled this up a 1 in 30 grade with ease and I have little doubt that it is capable of hauling at least 3 times this amount up the 1 in 30, substantially more on a flat track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hL1p88VCRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bSysrlNmow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmlshqLMN9A

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »