Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:16pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6820 times)
JWB46
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops

« Reply #240 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 11:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Back again...the ambulance in the previous post is where my idea for a panel van type railmotor came from. Unlike you guys, my modelling is design as I go. So there is usually no resemblance to real life, in the thread that I started elsewhere you will see that this in no way is like my original idea. In fact it could change again before its finished
Life has been getting in the way of train building but with a bit of luck work will resume again soon.

The style for the sides came about when I was salvaging some aluminium sheet from an old Land Rover safari roof and I found these cool curved bits. Originally it was going to have straight sides.

Enjoy the day....John.

Checked my pulse this morning,
There was one,
Can't get a much better start to the day than that....

pockets
Historian

« Reply #241 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 9:09am »

John,
Thanks for the pics of your railcar project. One of the true beauties of this lifestyle (It passed hobby years ago) is the diversity of routes to the same destination.  

I can't tell anyone how to build a railcar and don't pretend to. All I can do is show my efforts at producing the various components and hope it helps someone else over a stumbling block. It's my humble "give back" to the many who have helped me. Like you, I enjoy engineering on the fly, but that is not a technique for the novice or the faint of heart. As you are aware, to do it successfully requires a knowledge of tools and materials that can't be had in an online forum.

Thanks again,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
JWB46
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #242 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 5:58pm »

Greg....sorry if it sounded as though I was having a go at your work. It is what  you and Moose are doing with this unit that keeps bringing me back to mine to do a bit more. My problem is that I am easily distracted and go off on another tangent, taking me ages to get back on the straight and narrow(gauge)
Just a question, what scale are you building to?

Enjoy the day....John.

Checked my pulse this morning,
There was one,
Can't get a much better start to the day than that....

pockets
Historian

« Reply #243 on: Sep 15th, 2011, 8:47pm »

John,
No foul sensed and none intended.

I model in 3-3/4" scale, for 7.5" gauge. This Model T is being built in 4" scale simply because of the diminutive size of the prototype. NO ONE, least of all ol' Moosey, is going to ride on this one. I will have to reinforce some parts because you can sometimes have too much help loading or unloading at the track.

re attention span: many of us suffer that malady, as SWMBO continually points out.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #244 on: Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:16am »

hi all,

its been awhile since this thread saw any light of day.  sometimes life gets in the way, sometimes other projects take priority.  anywho...

pockets reports that the hammer-form for the model t's firewall has been receiving attention of late in the shop.  last summer, i picked up a loaner 1 to 1 scale firewall from a model t friend in alabama for use as a scaling form.  since this will be a fine-scale model, there's no 'just-about-right' to it...it's right or it isn't.  while i'm delighted that the work is resuming, people have asked when the model t will be on the rails.  my answer?  when it is ready....not one day before.  

the model t project, very much like the jax steam team project, is one where the process of creation is enjoyed, not a means to operation.  there is companionship in the shared tasks of researching, procurement and development.  as builders, the 'doing' is oft times more enjoyable than the operations of track running.

more a little later as info and pics become available.

moose

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #245 on: Mar 3rd, 2013, 11:59am »

OK George, that report was like the ones we get from Washington DC. Full of words but little substance....... in other words, WHERES THE PHOTO'S?  

j/k my friend, I am happy to see this project resurrected.

boomerralph
Enthusiast

« Reply #246 on: Mar 3rd, 2013, 4:17pm »

If there are no photos, it must have not happened

Ralph M. Reese
N.E. Fla Live Steamers
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #247 on: Mar 7th, 2013, 5:39pm »

on Mar 3rd, 2013, 4:17pm, boomerralph wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If there are no photos, it must have not happened

yeah, yeah, yeah...pics are coming!

moose

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

ttruck.jpg - 24646 Bytes
« Reply #248 on: Mar 9th, 2013, 12:16am »

Hey Moose, Would you like some help with the pictures
Pete

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/ttruck.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #249 on: Mar 23rd, 2013, 9:05pm »

on Mar 9th, 2013, 12:16am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Moose, Would you like some help with the pictures
Pete

hi all,

pete:  you aren't that far off what we are looking for!  sadly, the one pictured is too new.  

to kindda 'egg' this conversation along towards easter...pockets has been busy with the next phase of the build.  as he and i have both said along the way,  the time-table for completion isn't what's important.  he and i have had more fun in our partnership on projects like this one than you could possibly guess.  since his return after our yacht trip in january, pockets has been busy getting the hammer-form ready for the firewall.  our goal is to be as close to scale as we (he) can get.   while there may be a few here who know how to create and use hammer-forms, i think i'm safe in saying that it is a mind-bending set of tasks to create a scale working form.  you are creating spaces and surfaces to aid you in bending, stretching, thinning, thickening, compressing and controlling where the metal is trying to go.  there are points along the way where the metal says "enough already!".   you are dealing with metals that work-harden in sometimes a single hammer-strike or grain structures just don't want to change.  something that i've been most interested in seeing the process.

as luck would have it, digital cameras are wonderful things...ya know how fast you can delete pics?!  
pockets apologized for the 'no process pics'.  when you see the millwork he did, i know you'll forgive him.  it is gorgeous!

and here it is:

slightly closer view...

when compared to the fullsized model t firewall...

as you can see, pockets has been busy in the shop!  stay tuned!

moose

BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #250 on: Mar 23rd, 2013, 9:31pm »

Holy cow, that is great work. Too bad you don't have the process photo's.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #251 on: Sep 17th, 2013, 7:17pm »

hi all,

yes, pockets has been on the quiet side for some time now...some reasons you know, some you don't.  the clam lake shop has had an opportunity to move to a larger property out in the wilds of michigan, and they took it!  i haven't been able to spend the time to aerial survey the property yet, but give me time.  

as of the other day, the household had mostly been moved including extended family, but the clam lake shops is still in moving libo.  if you know pockets like i do, you know that the situation will be remedied in short order.  it's been a tough year for pockets and family with major health concerns being dealt with and the loss of a family member, but this move, i believe is a spectacular piece of luck.  although circumstances have pushed 4 generations to live under one roof, they are making it work.  thankfully, the new property can absorb all their energies and dreams.  

i can't wait to be with them again, to hear their plans, and do my best to help make it happen.  for now, our projects like moose meadows #5 is on temporary hiatus until the clam lake shop can get back in operation.  the good part of it is that it gives me more time to research some of the finer details and refine my mow trailers.

keep pockets in your thoughts, it will still be a few more weeks until the local phone company can run enough string out to the new property to hook up the tin cans for the computer to talk over.

moose

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #252 on: Nov 18th, 2013, 2:30pm »

Hi Moose

Will this one fit in the collection?

http://prr.railfan.net/RubberTiredSwitchers.html

Steen Rudberg
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #253 on: Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:37pm »

on Nov 18th, 2013, 2:30pm, Steen_Rudberg wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Moose

Will this one fit in the collection?

http://prr.railfan.net/RubberTiredSwitchers.html

steen:  that is too cool!  and believe it or not, there were huskier later versions that i seriously considered doing before pockets and i chose the model t project.  keep'em coming!

moose

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #254 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 12:53pm »

A Danish tractor, The Wardrobe.

The  Wheelbase is 2.94m.

Steen Rudberg
Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #255 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 1:57pm »

http://www.jernbanen.dk/fabrik.php?id=49

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2013, 3:08pm by Steen_Rudberg » Logged

Steen Rudberg
BobbyT
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #256 on: Nov 23rd, 2013, 2:04pm »

Steen were these battery powered? What kind of tractive effort did they produce?

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #257 on: Nov 30th, 2013, 3:03pm »

Hi BobbyT

These where "born" with a 70 hp petrol motor got a diesel in 1944.  

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=da&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=da&ie= UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jernbanen.dk%2Ffabrik.php%3Fid%3D49

« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2013, 3:10pm by Steen_Rudberg » Logged

Steen Rudberg
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #258 on: Dec 1st, 2013, 7:50pm »

steen:  the motors are cool!!!  keep them coming!

Steen_Rudberg
Historian

« Reply #259 on: Dec 2nd, 2013, 5:17am »

Here is a open version as the one in the add.

Both with 40 hp & 3200 Kg.

Steen Rudberg
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »