Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:26am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6850 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops

« Reply #220 on: Jul 1st, 2011, 4:34am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

just hours away before we start our trip to michigan!  can't wait to see pockets and family!  keep us in your thoughts for travel mercies.  

tom c:  hey!  we're soon gonna scare you in the dark!

moose

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #221 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 7:37pm »

hi all,

yes, shad and i made it back from our trek to michigan!  and yes...wish our visit didn't have to end!!!  what a blast!  we're making plans for next year...already.

so, what did we get done on mm#5?  well, for one, i got the chance to work on a couple of projects for it.  

1.  i got to semi-finalize the design, the look, and the construction of the radiator filler neck.

2.  with the help of my friend gator from alabama, pockets got to put his hands on a real full-size ford model t coilbox.

3.  i'd done a drawing of the coilbox before i'd left home.  while in michigan, with encouragement from pockets, i photoshopped the drawing into multiple copies on a couple of sheets of adhesive-backed paper.  from that, pockets and shad proceeded to create a stamping die.  shown below is the drawing being compared to a scale drawing of the dashboard/firewall.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #222 on: Jul 17th, 2011, 9:46pm »

Hi, Moosey. Wondered when you were gonna post some of this stuff.

The conversations woven through those photos! The last two, alone, and the realization that "accurate" information, from disparate sources, doesn't always match. The coil box drawing matches the part, because you had it in your hand when you did the drawing. The firewall drawing a-l-m-o-s-t matched the coil box drawing.... Close, but not quite worthy of a cigar. Ergo, they become gazintas.

As I told you, on the phone, there was a catastrophic failure with the stamping die. Actually the failure was with the machinist and the catastrophy is that the die parts don't float. I'll leave that to your imagination. All is not lost, however, as Shad has agreed to blank out some replacements.

I guess the lesson in this is that one must never forget the basics. One of which is that a 3/32" drill will N-E-V-E-R make a 3/32" hole !   Center drill, drill undersize and ream to size

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #223 on: Jul 18th, 2011, 7:50pm »

hi all,

as much as i like showing 'finished' work, this is a teaching thread.  as pockets and i know only too well, ya make a lot of 'oops' before you get the 'ah-hahs'.  just time to start on a new set of stamps and move on...just about everything we are doing has a steep learning curve.  mistakes can be and usually are expensive, that's just the cost of admission, the cost of how not to do it in the future.

on Jul 17th, 2011, 9:46pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)

...The conversations woven through those photos! The last two, alone, and the realization that "accurate" information, from disparate sources, doesn't always match. The coil box drawing matches the part, because you had it in your hand when you did the drawing. The firewall drawing a-l-m-o-s-t matched the coil box drawing.... Close, but not quite worthy of a cigar. Ergo, they become gazintas.

As I told you, on the phone, there was a catastrophic failure with the stamping die. Actually the failure was with the machinist and the catastrophy is that the die parts don't float. I'll leave that to your imagination. All is not lost, however, as Shad has agreed to blank out some replacements.

I guess the lesson in this is that one must never forget the basics. One of which is that a 3/32" drill will N-E-V-E-R make a 3/32" hole !   Center drill, drill undersize and ream to size

Greg B.

as our good friend shad works on another set of stamping dies, i thought i would show you part of an unfinished project that became a piece that i designed and machined...well, with a whole lot of advice from my friends...on my own.  they say that pride goes before a fall, but for someone not always active in a machine shop, i'm learning!

earlier, i showed you a picture of one of 3 radiator fill necks for a scale ford model t.  

what i didn't show you (still had photos to upload this afternoon) was the radiator cap that i hadn't thought of doing, but became inspired to do while i was in michigan.  as i was trying to do the final research on a typical ford radiator cap(i even had 2 on-hand), i ran into the following examples...work ceased on the common radiator cap.  mm#5's top cap will be loosely based on what you see below...i'm not saying what will change, but those that know me...

the base of the cap will be a little like this...only a hex instead of an octo...

so how did i do?  well, remember, the following is a works-in-progress and subject to a little change.  here's a look at the raw work.

...and how it looks with the filler neck...

will it have the dog-bones?  we'll just have to wait and see.

yes, there are those august individuals who frequent here that could have done this job in short order and bristol fashion...but really, i can't wait to get back to michigan to see how it turns out!

pockets
Historian

« Reply #224 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 8:27pm »

I know, progress has been slow. Seems like every time I head for the shop, I trip over real life    Well, enough whining.... Work does continue.

We wanted MM5's front truck side frames to look like castings. Castings are in the (forseeable) future, but not available now. If you can't make a casting. fake a casting!

Above is part of one of the sideframe weldments. Not very pretty. Below, we are part way through the roughing process. The weapon of choice is a 3/8" ball end mill.  

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #225 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 8:35pm »

Below are some more progress shots, so you may see where we are heading.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #226 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 8:45pm »

Below is where I stopped, for this session. The imperfections, visible, will be handled in further stages of the process. However this illustrates a way to fake a casting from a weldment.

Thanks for looking,
Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #227 on: Sep 2nd, 2011, 8:12am »

Greg,  Lookin good.  Body filler is a good friend to metal mashers!  I have some on #24 to hide voids.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #228 on: Sep 3rd, 2011, 5:41pm »

Tom,
I may use a little plastic bodyman in a place that won't flex, or isn't subject to shock loads, but for trucks, I'll just use lead. I'm not looking for cadillac smooth. Hell, I'm looking for a place to get them shot peined, just for texture.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #229 on: Sep 3rd, 2011, 7:16pm »

on Sep 3rd, 2011, 5:41pm, pockets wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tom,
I may use a little plastic bodyman in a place that won't flex, or isn't subject to shock loads, but for trucks, I'll just use lead. I'm not looking for cadillac smooth. Hell, I'm looking for a place to get them shot peined, just for texture.

Greg B.

hey greg...will bird shot do?  ya want sport loads or express loads  

pockets
Historian

« Reply #230 on: Sep 3rd, 2011, 8:29pm »

Moosey,
#4 steel shot, express, should be about right  

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #231 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 7:24pm »

hi all,

as many know...or guessed, pockets and i talk about everyday.  our conversations, ever fruitful, are usually wide ranging on many subjects, but at some point, come back to mm#5.  however many times each of us has built it in our minds, research is ever ongoing.

over the years, we've both turned up some amazing prototypes...and small scale models.  for awhile i've wanted to show you some of the interesting and inspiring items we've uncovered.

the first item just came to light in the last week.  while not strictly for rail, it does inspire to the point of me thinking that the model t guys...and pockets would string me up for changing body styles....

it maybe ugly, it maybe be laughable, but it does fire the imagination.
the two images below are interesting to me because of the front trucks...

and with the following image, you pennsylvania guys should feel right at home!  it's a street/rail tugger!

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #232 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 7:42pm »

continued...

a lot of what we desire and build is constrained by our memories of our favorite class one or even branchline railroad.   what if you constrained your build to what might be possible with just using the stuff out of the junkpile.  mm#5 was borned of necessity and availability by what the clam lake master mechanic had at hand.  the junkpile is ever-changing...

want a personal rail vehicle?  here's a look at what some folks did with what they had.   the first one, well, we all age, but this is the scoot for me!

got spare motorcycle or scooter parts?

and a small scale model that had me laughing, then.....?!

pockets
Historian

« Reply #233 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 7:45pm »

Gonna hafta put a leash on that lads computer or find out what Mrs. Moosey is puttin' in his soup! That said, there's some interestin' details in those pics.

That red light, by the door, ain't no marker light!!!

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2011, 7:50pm by pockets » Logged

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

036-1.jpg - 39557 Bytes
« Reply #234 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 6:05am »

That last one would have to be a "ore car"  

Seriously, what body style were you contemplating before you considered guns, antlers and license plates?

How about this one

Pete

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/036-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 7:44am »

Don't forget the spare propeller , you can't leave the house without one of them. LOL.  Enjoying the parts fabrication.  
 Ray III

Henry
Historian

« Reply #236 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 12:07pm »

There's a surprising amount of inspiration in all that tomfoolery...

Henry

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #237 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 8:27pm »

on Sep 14th, 2011, 6:05am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That last one would have to be a "ore car"  

Seriously, what body style were you contemplating before you considered guns, antlers and license plates?

How about this one

Pete

hi all,

pete:  that's a good one!  a fellow that bruce r and i used to be acquainted with, drove something similiar.  ben s. used to call it "the maytag messerschmitt".  

about the body...the one that will probably be built is similar to the one shown below..the biggest differences are that the front windshield will not be this one and the side panels will be raised with a bulging waist (similar to old carriages).  ford motor company didn't van styles for businesses available until later.  before that, ford sold bare chassis to companies like martin-parry.

with some of the features of this one...

the raised panel waistline, while not exactly like the one below( a t, not a tt), is similiar in appearance.

and will tow some mow equip like this derrick...albeit a little less over-built.

in addition, the combo will be able to act as an ambulance and a grocery shopping cart for the lumber camps.  much like the pic below.

henry:  inspiration is where ya find it!   form follows function, something a few of the narrow modelers know too well!

keep watchin'!!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #238 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 8:44pm »

Nuttin' like laying it out on the table, Moosey, m'lad... Someone's gonna take a swipe at it. Talk about yer performance anxiety  

Which one o' yous hid my Jim Beam!?

Ray, thanks. I thouroughly enjoy this aspect of the hobby. I get to call up dormant skills and am always learning something. I'll be the first to admit that I wouldn't make a pimple on a real machinists butt, but I can whittle with the best of 'em It never ceases to amaze me, the number of people who think a weld is permanent!

Greg B

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2011, 8:52pm by pockets » Logged

JWB46
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #239 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 9:04pm »

G,day....don't worry about somebody going to take a swipe at it Yesterday I cut out some framework for mine and it is a very similar panel truck style.
Will take a photo when I'm in the workshop later today.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/4a/a4/2a/citroen-rail-ambulance.jpg This is where my idea came from.

Sorry for edits, kept hitting wrong button

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2011, 10:46pm by JWB46 » Logged

Enjoy the day....John.

Checked my pulse this morning,
There was one,
Can't get a much better start to the day than that....

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »