Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 26th, 2017, 8:41pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6755 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops

« Reply #200 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Two makes a pair...

Starting to whittle on the slide sides. These are pedestal type boxes, patterned somewhat on the Jackson & Sharpe passenger items.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #201 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:26pm »

another shot a little further along. For a little perspective, the brasses that these boxes slide on will be 1" wide.

Here we are starting the bevel, where the cover seats.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #202 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:30pm »

Here are a couple of shots of the bevel. It doesn't show up real well in the pics.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #203 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:35pm »

No pics of machining the cavities, but I do have a couple of endmills invested in them!

Oil goes in this end, Moosey...

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #204 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:41pm »

In these shots I'm starting to address the shapes of a journal box. This is the recess below the journal box cover. In the first pic, I'm usinf a 1/4" ball end mill.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #205 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:47pm »

Here, I've started "faceting" the front bottom edge. This is just a roughing process to remove the bulk of metal. Strictly cut to the line stuff.

One down...

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #206 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:52pm »

Ol' Moosey liked thes shots. The whittlin' is done and it's time for files and finishin'. Oh, and the lid hinge needs to be addressed.... and it goes on and on....

Thanks for looking,
Greg B.

Dick_Morris
Former Member

« Reply #207 on: May 13th, 2011, 9:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Looking good!

I enjoy seeing your progress. Work faster!  

I made some journal boxes for my CP-173 after closely studying some CPRR examples. Other than the differences between the mounting for arch bar trucks versus in pedestals, they are very similar to yours. At the suggestion of a friend and because my material allowed it, I did all the profiling with them in a single stick of material and then sliced them off like cutting bread from a loaf.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2011, 9:19pm by Dick_Morris » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #208 on: May 14th, 2011, 6:32am »

Very nice Greg. If you keep this pace up, your critter is going to come  together more than it already has.   I'll talk to you this week end.

Bruce

pockets
Historian

« Reply #209 on: May 14th, 2011, 8:04am »

Dick,
Thanks for the looksee. You can do that with archbar boxes. I have, too, in the smaller scales. With a little planning one might do it with these. Sometimes it becomes a matter of how big a stick do you want to carry.... Each one of these started out at 2-1/2" square by 3-1/2" long.

Bruce,
As always, I look forward to your call.

Thanks for the comments,
Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #210 on: May 14th, 2011, 9:22pm »

hi all,

pockets:  we've been friends for  a number of years now, so the quality of your work has never been a mystery to me....but you are right in saying that i like the 2 pictures.  words fail me in a time that they shouldn't.  it is one thing to take a raw casting and finish it, it's quite another to turn what will look like a casting out of a piece of solid stock.  wow!

there are enough builders blowing through this thread to understand what i'm going to say.  pockets and i talk about 'the process' enough that it might to some sound like a trivial catch-phrase, but it is the truth about working on any project.  you have to take the finished product and 'unbuild' it.  every little step along the way....you'll build the product forward and backwards many, many times in your mind before you reach for any raw stock.  pockets is an A#ONE shoprat in my book, i know how much he enjoys being at the machines, but creating from solid stock takes a lot more time that machining from castings.  if you've any questions, this is the guy to ask about 'process'.

indeed, a few of you know that my friend, shad and i will soon be venturing to that michigan locale to visit with pockets and his family.  believe me when i tell you, i can't wait to see the chassis of mm#5!!!

justin:  WOW!  thank you very much for controllers for mm#5 and mow cars!  looks like the tie crane will have to function with some automation!  it was unexpected and a wonderful action on your part!!!  i hope to return the favor some day.  thank you so much for your friendship!

moose

Slipped_Eccentric
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #211 on: May 16th, 2011, 12:58am »

VERY nice work Pockets!  I always enjoy seeing the work and thought processes that go into making individual parts, instead of just seeing the finished product.

Moose, you're welcome.  Just give me some throttle time some day.  A model that's going to LOOK as GREAT as this model will, should PERFORM up to your standards as well.  I'm just glad to help, friend to friend.

Expatriate Floridian in Pennsylvania.
pockets
Historian

« Reply #212 on: May 19th, 2011, 7:16am »

Thanks, Justin. I wish I was a better craftsman / teacher.

Next up is one of those simple little pieces which, if done right, will rarely be noticed on the model. However, if omited, it would be quite conspicuous in its absence. There are two of them and they support what Hank Ford called the dash panel and everyone else calls the firewall.

Gotta run, for now, but will finish this post later.

Thanks for looking,
Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #213 on: May 19th, 2011, 8:35am »

This is a pair of full size reproductions. Ol' Moosey scared them up, somewhere, and they arrived in a brown truck.

After the customary fondling and playing with them, it was time to get down to brass tacks...

pockets
Historian

« Reply #214 on: May 19th, 2011, 8:47am »

About the quickest and dirtiest way to do this, for me, is to trace the part onto 1/4" square graph paper.

I then measure the part, do the math and dimension the drawing with the scale dimensions. It sounds harder than it is.

I end up with a "napkin sketch" like shown below. A lot of this is file to fit and please the eye, so I don't loose a lot of sleep over small third decimal points. Sometimes they really matter; this ain't one of those times.....

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2011, 8:48am by pockets » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #215 on: May 19th, 2011, 8:58am »

Lay it out on a piece of 18ga., 1010 P&O.

Sorry for the gap in the photos, here. This was such a quickie that I was done before I remembered to take pictures.

At any rate, even though this is only 18ga., I cut them out with the bandsaw so as to avoid the distortion inherent with snips. Saw, bend and file and we get about here...

pockets
Historian

« Reply #216 on: May 19th, 2011, 9:05am »

Hardly ever get to make just one of anything    

The next step is to poke some holes in 'em.... and more file work. The file work doesn't end until the paint goes on and the paint can't go on 'til the filing is finished!  

pockets
Historian

« Reply #217 on: May 19th, 2011, 9:12am »

Next is a trial fit on the frame. No holes are drilled in the frame at this time. As I've stated so many times, everything is a g'zinta and many of these parts will be match drilled from one another.

Thanks for lookin',
Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #218 on: May 20th, 2011, 9:38pm »

hi all,

pockets:  wow!  ...just doesn't seem right to say...not enough emphasis to express how i feel.  mm#5 is starting to rise above the frame-rails!!!  can't wait to see it!

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #219 on: Jun 13th, 2011, 6:20pm »

hi all,

the time is drawing near that i make my way to michigan!  can't wait to see everyone up there...watch out!

it seems that this thread goes fallow from time to time...of need because of the amount of research involved and because all the parts have to be created instead of purchased.  as pockets is fond of saying, this is a guzinta project.  meaning that this guzinta that and that guzinta this.  there is a greater need of raw materials to create scale parts than normally needed for lesser detailed models.   this was a choice on our part.  to that end, pockets and i both are always on the lookout for materials to fulfill the 'wish list'.  the wish list got pushed a little further today with the purchase of most of the steel that pockets requested for the immediate need of the project.  some is on its way, but most will ride with me.

one of the items was a chunk of 0.25 hot rolled steel plate (0.25x12"x48")...the cost you ask?  how about $12.50 per sqft!  or how about a 1"x96" round bar of 12L16 axle stock for $9.67 per lineal ft?!!!  my friends, florida isn't a friendly place to buy materials used in a manufacturing setting!  however, there are friends around that are more than willing to lend a hand with relatively small projects like this one...from ominous fabricating up in michigan to tampa pipe & steel to dover welding, the latter two local to me.  when i explained what i was doing, they bent over backwards to help push this project forward.  they've graciously allowed me the opportunity to find other ways of fulfulling the wish list without breaking the bank.  these business people have 'trimmed' their profits to the bare-bones to help us git'ter done!  i can ask no more of them than they've already done...yet, to a man, they have made me welcome in their places of business and bid me return.

and btw, due to slipped eccentric's generosity, mm#5 also has a motor controller that will soon meet it's chassis!  justin, i'm just blown away!!

thanks guys!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »