Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 19th, 2017, 7:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6841 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops

« Reply #20 on: Feb 7th, 2010, 12:14am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Man, That's the hard way to get a Model T!  

Seriously though, we all work from photos or drawings, but, when you can hold the part being modelled in your hot little hand....; Well it just don't get no better. Moosey, don't forget to transpose from real numbers, on the hubcap, to a shrink rule, on the patern...... I know, I know... Get back to the copper bashin'.

While Moosey was out spending money, I was out to my uncle's farm for firewood. While poking around in a machinery shed, I (literally) tripped over the steel for the critter's chassis.

BTW: For those who may know the difference. This critter is based on the 123" wheelbase TT one ton truck. Based on photographic evidence, that hubcap looks right for the rear axle.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2010, 8:21pm by pockets » Logged

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Feb 7th, 2010, 8:29pm »

George,
I just went back and was studying that hubcap. If anyone had asked me, I'd have taken an oath that the nut was hex. It's a bleedin' OCTAGONAL!!

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Dan Watson
Historian
  cg1_front_resize.jpg - 39682 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 12:17am »

Moose/Pockets,
I'm not an antique car expert, but here are a couple of photos I took of the Columbus & Greenville inspection car #1 in Columbus, MS in 1969.  This was no longer in use, since they had upgraded to a late 40's Buick!  Maybe you can glean some useful details from these photos.
Dan

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/cg1_front_resize.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2010, 12:19am by Dan Watson » Logged
Dan Watson
Historian
  cg1_resize.jpg - 35364 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 12:18am »

Here is a side view.
Dan

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/cg1_resize.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 7:17am »

Thank you, Dan. There is a plethora of detail in those photos. Unless I miss my guess (entirely possible), this buggy has its own turntable.

Check out that magnificent pot belly stove!

Thanks again,
Greg B.

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #25 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 1:31pm »

Greg,  i noticed that also.  i think a fairly std option as it was hard on the neck to back long distances.  i tried to get one on bus #3 but mel said not enough room in center for the tube.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 4:35pm »

VERY neat photos Dan. Blast from the past!! And sure enough, that is a ballance jack up pedistal. No, I'm not so smart. But from my days of trying to be a live steamer and a motor car enthusiast, at the same time, I remember some of this stuff.

Greg, now that is something to model in large scale. WOW.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 7:11pm »

Tom & Bruce,
Hafta see where the center of gravity ends up as well as major drivetrain components, but stay tuned.....

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 7:13pm »

to all,

tomc:  sorry we missed you guys in january....dern cold up there!

dan: thank you!  believe me, this 'crate' is NOW in my archives.  pockets and bruce r, are right...what detail!  my recent studies lead me to believe that this is a later model t (1924-1925) and that it has the earmarks that will soon carry over into the model 'a's.  'tween pockets and myself, we've tried to garner just about every 't' or 'tt' photo on the internet.  yours are wonderful!

thanks again,  

moose

charleytt
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 9:13pm »

what are you going to use for a powertrain why not use a liquid cooled v twin with hydros

charleytt
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Feb 8th, 2010, 9:15pm »

preferably a kholer agesis

pockets
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 8:38am »

Ol' Moosey prefers electrons, but my own critter is slated for a Kholer K-341.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 6:51pm »

hi all,  

charleytt: welcome to the live steam threads!  hope you find a home here and start a project!

as pockets said, i'm a 'tron chaser.  if it doesn't put out a steam chuff and coal smoke, i like it quiet.  there are only a few machines that i've been around that used infernal-combustion engines that didn't sound like a lawnmower.  ya hafta know how much i hate mowing the grass here in florida!

...unless it's this one, with real diesels..

or this one, because it was my first build...

now a mothballed hulk, but soon to be a work flat on the clam lake.   and the photo below, just because it is one of my favorites...the erie-atlantic with the blue electric welder in-tow!

or this one because it's so neat!

sooooo, back to the topic at hand...what will it look like?  well, a little like this, but not...

enjoy the ride!

moose

btw, what's a 'kholer'?  ...oh...'kohler'!

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2010, 6:55pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Feb 10th, 2010, 7:20pm »

HOLY MACKERAL, George, I forgot about those pics. Thanks so much for posting them. WOW, talk about a trip back in time !!!!!

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2010, 7:21pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
charleytt
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Feb 10th, 2010, 8:56pm »

kohler also makes diesels now too!!!!!!! u could get one of those too u can get either a twin or single in either liquid or air cooled!!!!!! think about it i work for kohler doing there engine testing just an idea

Dan Watson
Historian
  cg507_resize.jpg - 58716 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10th, 2010, 10:15pm »

Glad those photos could be of use.  I didn't know what I would do with them, but it was too good an opportunity for a college sophomore to pass up!  Back in 1969, the C&G was an operational railroad, but their collection of equipment was better than most RR museums!  Have a look at what was in their car shop.  These cabooses (wooden frames, truss rods, archbar trucks) were purchased second-hand from the Southern Ry during the "Great War".  Oops, maybe this belongs in a different thread....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/cg507_resize.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2010, 10:17pm by Dan Watson » Logged
Dave_J
Enthusiast

« Reply #36 on: Feb 11th, 2010, 9:59am »

Love the old photos Dan.  

Dave J

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 4:30pm »

Dan,

Your photos rememded me of something that I have'nt thought about in years. Some of us here in Florida that have been associated with the live steam hobby since the early seventys, (Florida Live Steamers) have an old friend that actually was a retired conductor from the Columbus and Greenville RR from way back.  
   George T. (moose_the_caboose), Ray H. (steamheaton),Warren J. (Largo Central), Bruce T. (bteerlin), and myself (ErieAtlantic7597) know this guy pretty well. He might have even used that same caboose in that last pic for all we know. He has to be way up in years by now. He is or was a very accomplished live steamer to boot. Built a number of really nice locomotives. But Bob G. never looked for pats on the back, as is the practice by so many of the newer live steamers of today.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 8:14pm »

hi all,

dan:  thanks for posting the pic!  believe me, it's now in my archive as well!  just look at the step units...and some folks think that i build'em too fragile!   i'm a fan of old photo sites just for the reason you posted these wonderful photographs, thanks again!

bruce r:  i remember bob g very well, when he spoke it was worth listening to!

in the past, pockets and i have spoken about educating yourself and paying attention to the learning curve you find yourself on.  for moose meadows #5, it's meant delving into places you normally wouldn't think of going.  moose meadows is a piece of railroad equipment, but it started life as a car...a ford model t/tt.  how do you build a model without research?  well, do the research first dummy(talking to myself again)!

so, moose meadows got a new 'piece' of research material the other day.

for those too young to know, the above photos show a radiator cap.  not the one i particularly want, but one i might have to model anyway.  the one i'm going for is like the one shown below.

to illustrate just how much research is going on, you'll even check out old manufacturers ads and service manuals.

and the journey continues...

moose

Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Feb 12th, 2010, 10:19pm »

Bruce,
Yep I know the Bob G you speak of, in fact I knew him when he still worked for the C&G.  And yes, he rode in these wooden cabooses every night.  The C&G had three of them in service, and four more out of service.
Used to see him regularly at the Mid-South LS track with his gray 0-6-0 when I still lived in Louisiana.
Now, back to your regularly-scheduled program on the model T....  

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2010, 10:26pm by Dan Watson » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »