Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 20th, 2017, 12:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6792 times)
pockets
Historian
Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops

« Reply #160 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 9:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Gravity tries to hold it together, along with one of those nasty journal boxes that are high on the modification list.

This is about where we are headed with the pilot truck side frame. got most of the pieces cut out for the other side . Then, we weld a little, grind a little, maybe machine some. After that, I can do SOMETHING about those journal boxes!

Thanks for looking,
Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #161 on: Feb 13th, 2011, 7:37pm »

hi all,

pockets:  the clam lake master mechanic is on the beam and level!  the beginnings of the front truck aren't pretty, nor are they out of context for the complete model.  the truck isn't something an uneducated person is going to say "WOW!"  those are the people who will see the vehicle body and say that..they won't be looking at the running hardware.  the guys who understand what we are doing will see the complete picture and know that we (you) were true to the process that a real world company would have done.  (to all - see fenders' posts and you'll see what i mean)

to all:  pockets and i have talked about this before, but for the benefit for those who don't know, moose meadows holding company owns controlling stocks in both moose meadows mining & mineral company and moose meadows lumber company.   the mmm&mc and mmlc are a hardscrabble companies that take existing equipment and modify by whatever means are at hand to fit the job needs.  the mmhc has the job of managing the financial resources (however thin) to get the raw materials out of the woods and mines to be sold in the market place...and do it on a very thin payroll.  like many companies, moose meadows has leased properties (mining and timberland) in many places and has currently done so with the pockets clan.  this particular lease has proved beneficial due to the interchange with the clam lake railway and it's shop facilities.  so well has this partnership worked out that the mmhc board of directors will soon issue private stock to the clam lake railway company giving them an ownership stake.

the stock will be issued when i can find some paper worth less than....?

anywho, you've just heard some of the 'backstory' on the moose meadows #5 inspection/mow rail lizzie.

for me, this model will be one where the memories made and shared will part of the craftsmanship of pockets that i can share with others...i can't wait to see it finished, but...i also don't want to miss the journey of getting there.

stay tuned!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #162 on: Feb 14th, 2011, 6:19pm »

Not pretty? Thanks.........I think.... The Clam Lake mgt. wants to know if that stock can come on rolls.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2011, 6:21pm by pockets » Logged

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #163 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 9:16pm »

While waiting for the arrival of more stock material and getting enough parts to justify cranking up the welder, I thought I would do a little more "metal mashing", as Tom C calls it.

The photo below illustrates the five basic phases of roughing out the running board brackets. The hammer form is at the lower left and the raw 1/2" x 1/2" channel is across the top. The remaining four pieces show the sequence of bends necessary to get the basic shape.

THanks for looking,
Greg B.

The next pic is the result of my working faster than thinking. My son, John, took most of the pics in this series and I forgot to call him to the shop durring the early phases. So, I mocked up the first bend by grabbing the form in the vice and positioning the torch and channel in their relative positions. Susequent photos will clarify this arrangement.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #164 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 9:25pm »

This is what it looks like when the metal is ready for the judicious application of the hammer.

Here is the second bend well started. A good, smoothing, body hammer would work well for this, but I use a six oz. ball pein, with a polished face. Any flaws in the striking object will be mirrored in the cherry red stricken object.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #165 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 9:35pm »

Here we are nearing the completion of the bend. The blur, to the left, in the photo is the hammer being gently applied. This is much more a nudging process than a pounding one. Lots and lots of light taps, when the metal is this maleable.

As you can see, the channel tends to bulge around the apex of the bends.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #166 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 9:42pm »

Reducing these bulges is called shrinking and I will do most of it with the steel hot. We're not shooting for a finished product, yet. Just the basic shape. This is not precision machining, it is hand wrought steel. We will tweek it to the required dimensions as we go along.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #167 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 9:49pm »

Once the "S" curve has been established, the mounting flange has to be formed on the end that connects to the Model T frame. For this, I used a series of T-Dollies to spread the channel gradually. A little bit here...

A little bit over there...

pockets
Historian

« Reply #168 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 9:53pm »

That's coming our way.

Now, to the welding bench for a couple of serious wallops...

pockets
Historian

« Reply #169 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:00pm »

Next I squeeze it this way....

Then I tap it that way...

Straighten a little here....

pockets
Historian

« Reply #170 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:08pm »

Now, let's go the other way...

Soon we end up here, with four blanks ready for trial fit up and final tweeking, sand blasting and paint. Not to mention a bunch of holes to be drilled....

Thanks for looking. I have some more pics, but they'll have to wait for tomorrow.

G'day or G'nite, depending on yer perspective,
Greg B.

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:12pm by pockets » Logged

tomc
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #171 on: Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:28pm »

Greg,

You are much softer with the hammer than I!  Nice series of pics.  Thanks to you and son John.  waiting for more.

Tom C.

Later;

tom_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan!
pockets
Historian

« Reply #172 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:53pm »

Tom,
Thanks for the response and comment. John says, "You're welcome."

He and I work together on some of this, because I'm trying to show processes, not just finished products. Everyone likes to look at baby's butt smooth, shiney pieces, but many newcomers don't appreciate how much ugly you have to go through to get there.

I also tend to perform some processes in batches. I mentioned welding, above. I treat sand blasting and painting the same way. I may prime some pieces, as I go along, but basically the whole vehicle will be built, then dismantled for final prep and paint.

An interresting side note regarding a bit of conversation between Ol' Moosey and myself: MM #5 is being built for a logging company. Many of the passengers would have been wearing hobb  nailed boots. Would the builder have used the original steel running boards or would he have replaced them with heavy planks? Those boots, on steel, would be like standing on ice!

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #173 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 1:05pm »

No rocket science, here. Just shear to width, put an appropriate bend in it, trim to length and round the corners. Voila! Instant running board bracket supports...

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #174 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 1:19pm »

The photos, above and below show a light crossmember, between the rear set of  running board brackets. Again, no rocket science....

The tool I bent it with, illustrated below, is one I put together many years ago. It's a set of Vice-Grip pliers,with custom jaws, and is called a panel flanger. A very handy tool back when I was taking wrinkles out of race cars. It allowed me to get reasonably accurate bends on opposite ends of that crossmember. I do have to say that that piece of steel mad it all my old hands could do to squeeze the handles together. There's a big difference between 22ga race car skin and 14 ga critter steel

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #175 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 1:25pm »

This is just a shot of a standard BIC lighter, to give some scale to the pics.

The OOPS (UPS) truck just delivered a box of fasteners for this project, so I can make a bunch of holes and replace the clamps.

Thanks again for looking,
Greg B.

SteamHeaton
Historian

« Reply #176 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 6:57pm »

Greg,  neat stuff!   I am enjoying the build very much.   A picture is worth a thousand words comes to mind ,  with your handy work.   There is so much to learn on these threads.   Ray III

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2011, 8:53pm by SteamHeaton » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #177 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 7:45pm »

Ray,
Coming from you, I take that as true praise, indeed. Thank you so much.

I hafta say, though, every time I lit the torch I told myself,"I'm supposed to be in Florida this week!"

Thanks again,
Greg B.

Dick_Morris
Former Member

« Reply #178 on: Mar 3rd, 2011, 9:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

An interesting set of photos. Thanks for posting them.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #179 on: Mar 4th, 2011, 10:55am »

Thanks for the looksee, Dick. Your observations are always welcome.

Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »