Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 3:32pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6853 times)
Dan Watson
Historian
Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
  SNRailcarInterior.jpg - 44998 Bytes
« Reply #140 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 9:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

These are the interior appointments.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/SNRailcarInterior.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dan Watson
Historian
  SNRailcarResize.jpg - 77249 Bytes
« Reply #141 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 10:04pm »

OK, I'm going to try again on the railbus photo because the original posting was too contrasty.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/SNRailcarResize.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #142 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 10:47pm »

Thanks, Dan,
Between your photos and some I googled, I've got some great ideas and inspiration.

How I missed that critter, I'll never know. It's all over the www.

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
Dan Watson
Historian

« Reply #143 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 11:58am »

Here's another "odd duck" critter I came across.

http://content.lib.washington.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/clarkkinsey&CISOPTR=643&CISOBOX=1&REC=7

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #144 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 8:31am »

Looks like they put wheels under a chook shed

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
pockets
Historian

« Reply #145 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 12:45pm »

Thanks, again, Dan. Quite the critter.

As to "wheels under the cook shed": Many of the logging camps were moved just that way. Loggers were exceedingly creative, but not given much to aesthetics.

#5 is awaiting the arrival of more supplies and materials so that construction (and posting) may proceed.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #146 on: Sep 22nd, 2010, 8:55pm »

hi all,

due to waiting on parts and having done some other types of research, i needed a short break.  isn't that the way it always works?  anywho, i thought i would entertain you with a project i'm contemplating...an addition to the moose meadows vehicle collection.

it'll fit right in with the brewery!

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #147 on: Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:43pm »

Ain't gonna build the darned thing, but I will help unload it!!!

Moosey, didja notice the queenpost castings the Battle Creek gang are doin'?

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:46pm by pockets » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #148 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 2:23pm »

Got to do a little whittlin' on Moosey's critter, so I started on the front truck. Ya build what ya got material in hand for. This pic shows me slotting one of eight verticals for the pedestals. The material is 1/2" x 1" hot rolled. The slot is 1/4" wide and 1/8" deep.

Greg B.

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2010, 2:28pm by pockets » Logged

pockets
Historian

« Reply #149 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 2:34pm »

Here I'm carving on one of the two top members for the sideframe. The pedestal verticals will fit into slots in these pieces. Kinda like a puzzle.

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Sep 26th, 2010, 2:37pm »

THis shot shows the pieces so far (upside down, of course) held together by gravity. The narrow slots will accomodate 1/4 inch thisc webbing to gusset the pedestals.

Greg B.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #151 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 7:24pm »

hi all,

not too long ago, i was asked what i was doing for the 'moose meadows #5' project...after all, pockets was building it.  well, i've been gathering data and sending it to him.  you would think that since henry ford built the model t for mass production on an assembly line, all the parts would be the same.  at least that's what i thought until we started this project...not sooooo!  parts differ by a range of years and then to narrow it down, by certain years.  and body styles?  OMG!  henry ford made some of his own bodies, bought more styles from carriage companies, and supplied running chassis's for many more.  sometimes, it's hard to tell 'original' work from later restoration or modification.  the little tin-lizzie was made all around the world and just kept on going.

in the photo below, you can see some of the data that i was able to get from a model t touring car that's 'just around the corner' from me.  you can also see that i don't as of yet have a complete data set for the radiator neck.  i hope to get it later this week.

what are some of the differences?  how about the casting under the radiator that allows the crank handle to pass through.  here's a look at the early model.

here's the later model...

see what i mean?  maddening, but a lot of fun searching out the differences.  crawling under-around-through old cars is like a treasure hunt.  you just never know what you are going to find.  having been given permission to measure select members of a new friends model t collection, i found the following picture most interesting.  whereas today, if our vehicles break down, we take it to a mechanic to be fixed.  fair enough, but it usually means that the broken parts would be replaced.  that would also happen in the days of the model t...with a few exceptions.  if the parts were too expensive, they would try to find away to fix it themselves.  the photo below is an example of that.  when pockets and i were going over it together, some of the geometry of the placement of a few parts didn't make sense.  that's when the obvious hit us, see where the front crossmember has been cracked and repaired?  the average 'mechanic' wouldn't attempt it today, but skilled mechanics know it can be done and usually did it.  was the repair the same as a factory new part?  no, but the little tin-lizzie didn't seem to care, even after all these years.

i hope that you are enjoying being on this journey with us.  pockets and i are thrilled to have you along for the ride.

moose

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2010, 7:01pm by moose_the_caboose » Logged

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #152 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 7:59pm »

hi all,

as we said early in this thread, project is slow when you're model-work that to our knowledge, hasn't been done for this application.  the materials to build with just doesn't grow and populate the shelves of hobby stores.  in the meantime, i've been doing some more research.  here's  pic of one of my latest detail quest.

know what it is?

moose

JWB46
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #153 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 11:04pm »

Trembler coil box?

Enjoy the day....John.

Checked my pulse this morning,
There was one,
Can't get a much better start to the day than that....

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #154 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 8:29pm »

hi all,

6491:  you, sir, are correct!  lotsa t's and started as t's, downunder!

moose

on Oct 25th, 2010, 11:04pm, 6491 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Trembler coil box?

JWB46
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #155 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 10:00pm »

Yes mate, the model T opened up access to a lot of this country. Kind of makes you laugh when you see guys with their 4 wheel drives, jacked up suspension and big tyres going where these cars went so many years ago. To be honest the only T's that I have seen have been a vintage rallies.

Enjoy the day....John.

Checked my pulse this morning,
There was one,
Can't get a much better start to the day than that....

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #156 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 5:52pm »

on Oct 27th, 2010, 10:00pm, 6491 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes mate, the model T opened up access to a lot of this country. Kind of makes you laugh when you see guys with their 4 wheel drives, jacked up suspension and big tyres going where these cars went so many years ago. To be honest the only T's that I have seen have been a vintage rallies.

A few years ago I was looking through a discussion on old cars and the person was talking about the advertizements for them.  They were commenting on seeing "high Ground Clearance" in the Model T or Model A adverts, I forget which.  The essence was, why would they advertize that?  I though, here is someone that has nver seen a rutted dirt country road.  Of course no four wheel drive, but then you were expected to develop the skill to be able to get through the wet spots without it.

BobbyT
Former Member

« Reply #157 on: Nov 1st, 2010, 10:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I have seen old news reel films showing a model T driving effortlessly through knee deep muck. What the youngsters don't realize is that there wasn't any pavement back then. The little foreign cars of today would have been useless then.

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #158 on: Feb 10th, 2011, 7:02pm »

hi all,

i've brought this thread forward again because the clam lake shops is about to get an infusion of raw materials for moose meadows #5 and possibly a few other odds-n-ins.  it is also an opportunity to illustrate the difference between grand scale and grand gauge.  here's a couple of questions to get you thinking about it.

1.  the model t that pockets is working on is 1/3 full size and will run on 7.5 gauge track.  what is the scale (inches per foot)?  is it grand scale?  what do you consider grand scale?

2.  if you've worked out the scale, what gauge does the 7.5 inch track represent?  is it grand gauge?  what do you consider grand gauge?  

got it yet?  while i'm thinking about it, there's a mindset that says that if the track is gauged to 7.5 or 7.25, it must be 1.5 inch scale.  when you are new to the hobby, it becomes inculcated because everybody says so.  well, my friends, the hobby encompasses a number of different scales within the same track gauge.  not to mention a common scale that uses a smaller gauged track.  more and more vendor equipment is being supplied in 1.6 inch scale.  can you tell the difference in equipment built in each scale?  can you find the visual cues in the equipment shown below?

the common vendor supplied equipment is great for people who want it, but, for folks like me, it's off to the shop to build what we want!  and that, is the fun behind it!  i first heard bruce-the-larger use the term 'shop-rat'...most appropriate!  it describes me, pockets, and a bunch of you to a 'tee'.  the term describes the complete process, from research to finished model to seeing operation on a railroad.  thanks bruce!

our discussion of scales will continue...for now, early to bed, early to rise...

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #159 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 9:38pm »

Well, now that ol' Moose droppin's has wound down and said material has materialized at the Clam Lake shops, scroll back up to reply #150 to see where we left off. I figured that since he went and bought it, I might as well cut some up.....

Saw to shape:

File to fit:

and pound in place....

Greg B.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »