Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 27th, 2017, 1:28pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Live Steam and Ride on Scales
(Moderators: moose_the_caboose, Brian Tusin)
   Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops  (Read 6759 times)
moose_the_caboose
Historian
Re: Moose Meadows #5, from the Clam Lake Shops

« Reply #120 on: Jul 25th, 2010, 6:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

hi all,

most of you know that i spent the first couple of weeks this month in michigan, illinois, and wisconsin.  while swmbo's family are great folks (and i thank them for their hospitality), my greatest joy came with the short hours i spent with pockets and his family.  how short?  try arriving at midnight july 7th and departing at 6am on july 9th?!  we tried hard not to fall asleep the first night, but ended up grabbing about 3 hours of naptime...after that, we went shopping.  moose meadows #5 may be 1/3 scale, but she is delicate and light on her feet.  With greg's shopping list in hand, we set out to find just the right dimension pieces we could find.  like everybody else who's ever gone for materials, some of the pieces come dearly and with indifference.   while once in a while you run across someone so interested in your project, they put down their tools and stop all activity just to see how they can help you.  we ran into just such a gentleman in pockets' hometown.  in the photo below, you can see 2 pieces of 'c' channel.  we required a specific size...which turned out to be rare.  after he heard what the project was, he set about making the 'c' channel we needed.  when all was said and done, most of the steel you see in the pic, came from this gentleman's fab shop.  i can't thank him enough, moose meadows #5 took a grand leap forward.

could we have made substitutions?  yes, but with able craftsmen about, why?  the latest word from pocktets is that the frame rails have been completed!  in the drawing below, you can see why the need for 'surgery' that pockets effected on the custom bent frame rails.  

with pockets and son doing some of the more detail oriented work, i set about cutting the pieces they would need.  in the photo below, i cutting the hidden support rectangular stock that will go in the thin section front cross member.  in the full size model 't's, this cross member is integral to completing a solid frame.  

the pieces will strengthen the thin-walled cross member that pockets created from drawings like the one below.

there was a lot more going on, but i wanted to show you one of moose meadows #5's pilot wheels!

more later.

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #121 on: Jul 25th, 2010, 8:38pm »

What a surprise! George & I were commiserating about the fact that his camera was in Florida and mine had died two days prior to his arrival. I never saw him yake the pics with his phone.

To speak accurately, the frame is a l-o-n-g way from finished, but it does have the correct profile, now. I have started work on the pilot truck, determined where and how the rear sub-frame will attach, have a tentative plan for drivetrain mounting and the search goes on for an affordable, useable camera. I sure do miss the Florida pawn shops!

Greg B.

Mechanical engineers build weapons, whereas civil engineers build targets.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #122 on: Jul 25th, 2010, 9:40pm »

Hey Greg,

Nice to see that the head stock repair you and your son did turned out real good by the looks of the pictures you posted. But I figured it would work out OK.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #123 on: Jul 26th, 2010, 7:37am »

Thanks, Bruce. Yeah, we'll take that for a win. We must have done something right, 'cause the bearings don't get warmer than the ambient temperature, now.

Greg B.

When the man at the door said," Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms", I, naturally assumed it was a delivery!
fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

07f28f223fc2fbf7e192b86a6ac51634.jpg - 78070 Bytes
« Reply #124 on: Jul 27th, 2010, 6:31am »

love your work so far.  It's going to be a real head turner.  Youre gonna have to make a scale motor even if its electric inside. Pete

my photo contribution!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/07f28f223fc2fbf7e192b86a6ac51634.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Fat Controller of the Brisbane Valley Tramway
pockets
Historian

« Reply #125 on: Jul 27th, 2010, 9:35am »

Hey, there, Pete. Haven't heard from you in a while....

Thanks for the compliments. I just hope we can live up to them. I know we've mentioned it before, but George and I are trying to keep the MODEL in large scale model railroading.

Regarding the engine: stand by.

That's quite the rail bus. I'm guessing 30" or 36" gauge. I really like the arched windows.

Thanks again for the response,
Greg B.

ps: Do you know Keith Watson?

Henry
Historian

« Reply #126 on: Jul 27th, 2010, 2:26pm »

on Jul 27th, 2010, 6:31am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
love your work so far.  It's going to be a real head turner.  Youre gonna have to make a scale motor even if its electric inside. Pete

my photo contribution!

That's the Chestnut Ridge Railway 1922 Mack Railbus owned by the Lehigh Valley Chapter of the National Railroad Historical Society, shot at the Phillipsburg Railroad Historians open house at Phillipsburg, NJ.

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

hallenhouse_002.jpg - 31262 Bytes
« Reply #127 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 5:46am »

Oops, wrong on both counts. I thought it was a Ford from New Zealand

(ps: Do you know Keith Watson? )     No, but then I'm only a new kid, I hardly know anyone, yet.

Looking forward to the motor............    btw I've just signed a contract on a ten acre block, would be a shame not to have a few critters running there

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/hallenhouse_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pockets
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 8:58am »

Pete,
Congrats. What a great looking site for a railroad (tramway).

Keith is a global legend in the extra large scale stuff.If the opportunity presents itself, try to meet him. I've had a couple of (electronic) communications with him and he seems a pretty nice guy.

I thought that bus was a bit straddle legged for narrow gauge. Thanks, Henry.

Greg B.

Pete, check your messages at the top of the page.

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010, 9:04am by pockets » Logged

Henry
Historian

« Reply #129 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 11:53am »

on Jul 28th, 2010, 5:46am, fred_55 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Oops, wrong on both counts. I thought it was a Ford from New Zealand

(ps: Do you know Keith Watson? )     No, but then I'm only a new kid, I hardly know anyone, yet.

Looking forward to the motor............    btw I've just signed a contract on a ten acre block, would be a shame not to have a few critters running there  

Keith Watson of the loco works in Willetton? Nope, don't know him

Congrats on the land and critters are always a good thing!

Henry

JWB46
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #130 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 7:02pm »

G,day Pete, Keith Watson is in Western Australia, 5OOOKlm's away.
Will you be at Grandchester this Sunday. I am thinking of taking the critter over for a run if this rain goes away
Moose I am just starting a railmotor project, would like to show it on this forum, do you think that I should start a new thread for it ? You guys seem to be more tolerant of non-steam than other places.

Have a good one.... John.

Enjoy the day....John.

Checked my pulse this morning,
There was one,
Can't get a much better start to the day than that....

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #131 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 7:39pm »

John,

Good to have you here. I look forward to your project. And, yes, your right, most of us that post here also have built or own non-steam large scale items also. And enjoy both, I might add.

ps.
No harm is starting your own thread to show the progress of your endeavors from the beginnings and onward. Should be interesting.

Bruce

moose_the_caboose
Historian

« Reply #132 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 10:34pm »

hi all,

john:  let me join bruce and the others in welcoming you to the live steam board here on railfan.net.  and ditto to what bruce said...please do start a thread about your project.  we try to be doers, teachers, and mentors so i think you'll fit right in!  if i've learned but a few things, paraphrasing my favorite movie star, our friends from down-under tend to be "more do, less talk, no brag..."  don't be afraid to email or im with any concerns or questions.  if we can help, sing out.

pete:  congrats on the land!  many happy hours of back-breaking work...i just wish that the rest of us could join you on weekends.  the work maybe hard, but it is most satisfying watching folks enjoy themselves on your railroad.  i'm blessed with being able to visit the bcrr from time to time...and they actually let me do trackwork!!  i know, they have to re-do it right when ever i leave..!  and in the not too distant future, i'll try to be at the clam lake to 'help' pockets....

about the motor, stand by!  ya just never know what's just around the corner...!

'night all,

moose

pockets
Historian

« Reply #133 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 4:08pm »

Let's see, now.... Where the hell were we?

A little bent steel that will become the crossmember for the filler piece that Moosey is cutting in an above post. Notice the little triangular fillers (there will be four of them) to be welded in place.

Below is a photo of the crossmember a little further along and mocked up into the frame.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #134 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 4:22pm »

This photo shows the taper that had to be put into the frame rails. All of the welds made so far, and many yet to come, still need to be metal finished. There may be a little lead, but absolutely no BONDO in this chassis.

Below is another shot, showing the mocking up of the brackets that reinforce the front of the crossmember/frame connection.

New camera, old photographer.... not the best combination

Greg B.

pockets
Historian

« Reply #135 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 8:02pm »

Found this at a local car show. Think it would satisfy Moosey?

This is what happens when I need motivation and just start stacking parts. Gettin' closer to fingerin' this camera out!  

Greg B.

fred_55
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #136 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 3:39am »

Man that looks the ducks nuts. Hope the rail version doesn't need a shovel handle to pull it
Pete

Dan Watson
Historian
  Aug2010_CO_227_resize.jpg - 81386 Bytes
« Reply #137 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 6:04pm »

Pockets, here is some more inspiration for you.  Silverton Northern railbus (junior goose), Silverton, CO on August 20th.  Cadillac innards, I believe.  That would be me standing alongside for scale (although I'm not to scale ).  Oh, yeah, that's D&RGW 315 in the background....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/Aug2010_CO_227_resize.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2010, 6:08pm by Dan Watson » Logged
pockets
Historian

« Reply #138 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 6:54pm »

Pete,
I had thought of tying a rope to the front, so George could have a pull toy when his batteries die!  

Dan,
Proportionally, that thing looks a lot closer to what you'd find on two foot gauge than three foot, unless, of course, you are eight feet tall! You wouldn't have a clearer shot of that pilot truck, would you? That sideframe looks perilously close to what I'm trying to do, here.

Thanks for the responses,
Greg B.

Dan Watson
Historian
  SNRailcarTruck.jpg - 34446 Bytes
« Reply #139 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 9:50pm »

Greg,
I don't have a different angle, but here's an enlargement of the truck details.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LiveSteam/SNRailcarTruck.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2010, 9:56pm by Dan Watson » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ...  16 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »